Author Topic: Bryce Harper to Phillies  (Read 15754 times)

Re: Harper 13 years, 330 million - Phillies
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2019, 10:30:56 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
So he turns down 10 years 300 million from his current team to take a contract for 30 million more but 3 extra years.  Seems very odd.

Well, I guess in the end it is still an extra $30M. Maybe he finds it unlikely he will play past age 36 (10 years from now), so the guarantee makes the difference here. I also don't think he was looking to stay with the Nats from the start.

I am not a massive Harper fan so glad the Sox didn't pay that price. Not wanting to pay that price for Mookie either, though.

Really? I would. I think Mookie is one of the best in baseball and is very likeable. I don't think the Sox let him get away and will do whatever it takes to keep him. He should be the face of the franchise.

I think they keep Mookie, Bradley, Sale, Porcello and Holt. I think Bogaerts and Martinez are goners after this year.

If they're gonna let Martinez walk, they'd better have a legit plan B, because we all know what happened the last time the Sox decided they could go a season without a big bopper in the lineup.

Good point. In that case, they may re-sign JD after all. He brought alot to the team last year plus I took a look at the free agents for next winter, and it's not very promising.

That might also tie into Mookie's future. If Mookie's price tag is too rich for the Sox blood, they may let him walk knowing Martinez can play the outfield (at least on a part-time basis. Maybe he also learns 1st base as well.)

Re: Bryce Harper to Phillies
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2019, 10:47:55 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Ken Rosenthal

@Ken_Rosenthal
 Harper deal with #Phillies is for $330M, per @JonHeyman, @JimBowdenGM and others. Would set record for largest guarantee. Question will be how much of money is deferred.

Jeff Passan

@JeffPassan
 Bryce Harper’s deal with the Phillies will be for 13 years and $330M, league sources tell ESPN. It will not include any opt-outs.

Well, considering I'm a Mets fan, this is going to suck for us lol.

Yikes.

13 years? Holy moly lol.

My condolences  ;)

Actually, I went to a Sox game last season where they lost 8-0 to the Mets, so there's that. Thor pitched and was lights out.

I'm actually pretty confident the Mets will win the division this year.

Phillies are impressive, but take a look at their defensive measurements of every player on that team, plus the lack of a bull-pen, and you'll see a great team on paper. But we will see.

I have to think they have to overpay Betts. He's too great of a humble superstar to watch him leave considering how much he has for the Red Sox.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2019, 11:58:36 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
Ken Rosenthal

@Ken_Rosenthal
 Harper deal with #Phillies is for $330M, per @JonHeyman, @JimBowdenGM and others. Would set record for largest guarantee. Question will be how much of money is deferred.

Jeff Passan

@JeffPassan
 Bryce Harper’s deal with the Phillies will be for 13 years and $330M, league sources tell ESPN. It will not include any opt-outs.

Well, considering I'm a Mets fan, this is going to suck for us lol.

Yikes.

13 years? Holy moly lol.

My condolences  ;)

Actually, I went to a Sox game last season where they lost 8-0 to the Mets, so there's that. Thor pitched and was lights out.

I'm actually pretty confident the Mets will win the division this year.

Phillies are impressive, but take a look at their defensive measurements of every player on that team, plus the lack of a bull-pen, and you'll see a great team on paper. But we will see.

I have to think they have to overpay Betts. He's too great of a humble superstar to watch him leave considering how much he has for the Red Sox.

Yeah, I was kinda surprised the Mets picked up Cano's bad contract but they also got a really good reliever in Edwin Diaz. If they extend DeGrom and Syndergaard, they should be in good shape. Plus they picked up Ramos and Lowrie, so they could be a contender. Plus Conforto, Nimmo and Wheeler are no slouches.

The Phillies could sign Kimbrel now that they got Harper to shore up their bullpen.

As for Mookie, yeah he's the perfect face for the future of your franchise.

I see the Sox and Mookie coming to terms. The Sox don't have a good track history of keeping their free agents but I think they make an exception for a talent like Mookie.

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2019, 10:46:00 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
Mike Trout on the verge of signing a 12 year-430 million extension with the Angels. Wow.
https://nypost.com/2019/03/19/mike-trout-on-verge-of-jaw-dropping-430-million-angels-deal/

If Mookie is going to want something similar (above 400 million) then I don't see the Sox going there.

I can see in the $300 million range.

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2019, 10:56:36 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Mike Trout on the verge of signing a 12 year-430 million extension with the Angels. Wow.
https://nypost.com/2019/03/19/mike-trout-on-verge-of-jaw-dropping-430-million-angels-deal/

If Mookie is going to want something similar (above 400 million) then I don't see the Sox going there.

I can see in the $300 million range.

Holy.

I mean for Mike Trout, you gotta do it. But dang, over 400 million??!
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different