Author Topic: Any questions regarding Perk's value against the Heat?  (Read 14318 times)

Re: Any questions regarding Perk's value against the Heat?
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2012, 01:23:36 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Perk is a very average NBA player.
...and an upgrade over the centers we've had ever since.

« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2012, 01:27:10 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450

not at 8 million a year.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2012, 01:36:40 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

not at 8 million a year.

Ask Mike Brown's vaunted "Twin Towers" about that.

The amount of times I saw Bynum grimacing as Perk laid that 280 pound body on him...keeping him out of his sweet spots.....plus, seeing Perk push Pau around?

While it is so hard to gauge Perk's worth monetarily, I'd bet that those two think Perk is worth 20 mil a year.

« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2012, 02:17:13 PM »

Offline jpd985

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41

not at 8 million a year.

The amount of times I saw Bynum grimacing as Perk laid that 280 pound body on him...keeping him out of his sweet spots.....plus, seeing Perk push Pau around?

While it is so hard to gauge Perk's worth monetarily, I'd bet that those two think Perk is worth 20 mil a year.

That is where Perk thrives, not against a small, athletic lineup, especially with a torn groin. Prototypical centers though are becoming a rare breed.

« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2012, 03:14:37 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
The very athletic Ibaka averaged 7 and 5 in the Finals.  Where's the thread proclaiming how terrible he is?     

Serge Ibaka made $1.2M this season.  He is signed through 2013/2014 for a total of $5.6M for 2 years.  Point being: he is paid like a role player.

Ibaka has a nice game.  He is super athletic, a tremendous shot blocker and rim protector, and a good rebounder. But he is nothing more than that, never has been.  And he never will be.

Perkins on the other hand perceives himself as, or at least is paid like, a premiere NBA big.  He is owed another $25.5M by OKC over the next 3 seasons.  His production simply cannot justify that price tag.  I don't care how good he is at setting picks or keeping Bynum off the block.

Now if Perkins was making $3M this year, I don't think this thread exists.  But if you are gonna make the big bucks in the league, a lot is expected of you, and you have to deliver.  Perkins is statistically one of the worst centers in the NBA.  He will be amnestied by OKC this offseason.

« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2012, 03:23:50 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
The very athletic Ibaka averaged 7 and 5 in the Finals.  Where's the thread proclaiming how terrible he is?     

Serge Ibaka made $1.2M this season.  He is signed through 2013/2014 for a total of $5.6M for 2 years.  Point being: he is paid like a role player.

Ibaka has a nice game.  He is super athletic, a tremendous shot blocker and rim protector, and a good rebounder. But he is nothing more than that, never has been.  And he never will be.

Perkins on the other hand perceives himself as, or at least is paid like, a premiere NBA big.  He is owed another $25.5M by OKC over the next 3 seasons.  His production simply cannot justify that price tag.  I don't care how good he is at setting picks or keeping Bynum off the block.

Now if Perkins was making $3M this year, I don't think this thread exists.  But if you are gonna make the big bucks in the league, a lot is expected of you, and you have to deliver.  Perkins is statistically one of the worst centers in the NBA.  He will be amnestied by OKC this offseason.

If he is amnestied do we pick him up for the MLE? Even if not a starter. He knows the D and gave Miami a hard time last year. I think Perk is more a  good product of a system player, than a straight up good player.

If that were to happen, and Perk got back to the old Celtic form, and Green gets back to the 15 a game scorer, DA would look like a freaking trade day genius. First trading Green for Allen, getting Green back for Perk and then picking him back up.

« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2012, 03:32:57 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish

not at 8 million a year.

I agree that Perk is very good at guarding the elite centers in the league. But that has become a specialty position since the quality center is such a rare thing now. For what he does, Perk is worth no more than 5 million a year. You have a limited cap and can't waist too much of it on 1 dimensional players. Someone said earlier, Perk at best is 8 and 8. And he was pro-Perk. Those are not 8 million dollar numbers. The kid is a modern day Tree Rollins.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2012, 03:33:23 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

If he is amnestied do we pick him up for the MLE? Even if not a starter. He knows the D and gave Miami a hard time last year. I think Perk is more a  good product of a system player, than a straight up good player.

If that were to happen, and Perk got back to the old Celtic form, and Green gets back to the 15 a game scorer, DA would look like a freaking trade day genius. First trading Green for Allen, getting Green back for Perk and then picking him back up.
Now imagine if he signed Greg Oden as well.  Lol.

« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2012, 03:36:56 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish

100% agree. TP!!! If not this summer, it will be in two years when Harden becomes a FA.

Larry Bird

« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2012, 07:16:50 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 365
Perkins has value in the NBA, I just think most posters are saying that he is overpaid for what he does...and in the modern NBA, he is...this is becoming a very wing oriented league..and Perk cant guard quick bigs..

outside of Bynum and D.howard there really are NO true centers in this league....theres mostly hybrid centers like Noah and Hibbert who can be guarded pretty easily by PF's

Bigs are still VERY important in the NBA, but I think its shifted more towards PF's who can occasionally slip into the Center position when they need to....the guys that Perk is good at guarding(Bynum, d.howard) are few and far between....

« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2012, 08:18:09 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Perk is Perk.... he has his useful moments .  Scowling down at Wade ....makes me smile.  He lost weight , but the body is a still  a BODY barely in motion .....  ;D

Love to have him back for a HAPPY MEAL price.

« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2012, 08:28:53 PM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146

Perk job was to help OKC get over the hump(i.e. Lakers/Bynum).  Once they got past that, ovbiously his skills weren't as valuable.  As a matter of fact, OKC could have used Jeff Green against the Heat.  Matchups would have worked better for OKC with JGreen in the Finals.

« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2012, 09:51:20 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213

Ibaka is on his rookie deal.  He's being paid as a 24th pick in his third year of his rookie contract. 

Perk is a defensive oriented center who made $7.1m in his eighth season. His team just got to the Finals in the West, a conference where Tim Duncan, Andrew Bynum and Pau Gasol play.

Bynum, who was 4th in the league in FG%, shot 43% in the OKC series.  Duncan was held to 44% shooting in the OKC series, after shooting a hair under 50% for the season.  I'd say OKC got their $7.1m worth.  The only way that the Lakers or Spurs get by OKC is if they dominate the paint.  They needed a physical center to match up with these WC roadblocks, and that's why Presti went out and acquired Perk.

If Ibaka and especially Harden play near their capabilities in the Finals, the series is still being played.  Perk's play had little to do with them being vanquished in five games after four straight losses. 

« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2012, 11:23:40 PM »

Offline CantBeRight

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • Not 1...not 2...not 3...not 4...BUT 17
As much as I love perk, he was complete trash in that series...
Celtics fan in Houston.

« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2012, 12:00:42 AM »

Offline EDWARDO

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 93

not at 8 million a year.

Theres some truth in that. We weren't worried about the Lakers though. We needed to get by Miami and needed a a6'9" athlete to help defend Lebron and run with Rondo.  I think what Bulpett said about the trade on Celtics Stuff was very compelling. The view around the league is that the trade was a very good one by Ainge.