Author Topic: Would you trade Rondo For..  (Read 22159 times)

Re: Would you trade Rondo For..
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2012, 08:29:12 AM »

Offline alajet

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 54
That's a tough one. I'd still say no, but not because it's a bad deal for us.

I'd say no, because trading Rondo would decimate this team, and neither Tyreke or Cousins are good enough right now to make that right. I'd say no for pierce, KG, and JET

The most plausible reply in the thread for me.

« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2012, 08:59:52 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Jason Thompson, I. Thomas, Tyreke EvanS, and Demarcus Cousins.

Just would you or wouldn't you keep it simple. Let's say Sac loves Rondo and they are into this deal. Would you trade away Super Rajon for that package.

Value-wise, yes, however, it would need a third team to make it work, because those players don't work together.

« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2012, 09:04:25 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Just would you or wouldn't you keep it simple. Let's say Sac loves Rondo and they are into this deal. Would you trade away Super Rajon for that package.

Value-wise, yes, however, it would need a third team to make it work, because those players don't work together.

I disagree that it's equal value.  A bunch of players with potential don't equal a proven superstar. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2012, 10:06:47 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

I disagree that it's equal value.  A bunch of players with potential don't equal a proven superstar.

I think 'a bunch of players with potential' is stretching it. Evans (career: 18, 5 and 5) and Cousins (career: 16, 10 and a block) are both very good NBA players, despite being on a bad team with poor, inconsistent coaching.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2012, 10:28:19 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

I think 'a bunch of players with potential' is stretching it. Evans (career: 18, 5 and 5) and Cousins (career: 16, 10 and a block) are both very good NBA players, despite being on a bad team with poor, inconsistent coaching.

I agree that they are both "very good NBA players," and I would go as far as to add that they have the potential to get even better.  But, Rondo is a superstar, top ten NBA player, the kind of player that is the cornerstone of a franchise.  You need a guy like that, and there's no guarantee that DeMarcus Cousins or Tyreke Evans will ever reach that status.

When you have that guy entering his prime, you don't trade him away for guys who are "very good NBA players."
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2012, 10:40:22 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

When you are a net nothing on the court like Cousins its hard for me to call you a very good NBA player.

Too many wasted possesions with terrible shots and still too many mistakes on the defensive end.

Cousins gets his numbers, but doesn't help his team any yet.

Tyreke does a lot better job of helping his team, especially when he's utilized properly.

« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2012, 10:43:06 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

When you are a net nothing on the court like Cousins its hard for me to call you a very good NBA player.

Too many wasted possesions with terrible shots and still too many mistakes on the defensive end.

Tyreke does a lot better job of helping his team, especially when he's utilized properly.

I think its hard to say whether Cousins helps his team or not, when he is playing for that horrid franchise. 

He is a huge risk because of his behavior, but on the court, I think he just needs to be utilized better to be incredibly valuable. 

« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2012, 10:43:28 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Gotta give up something good to get something equal value... UNLESS you are LAKERS ...in which you can pick and choose , kid-napp , steal , cheat or hose any team to get the player ( lattest and greatest)you desire.

LA fans just take it for ganted that Lebron will play for them when Kobe retires. ::)

« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2012, 10:49:16 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

I think its hard to say whether Cousins helps his team or not, when he is playing for that horrid franchise. 

He is a huge risk because of his behavior, but on the court, I think he just needs to be utilized better to be incredibly valuable.
I don't think its that hard to say whether or not he helps the Kings win, he doesn't.

But could he do much better if put in a better situation, probably within a year of two of learning better habits and being put in positions to succeed.

But over the course of his entire career (and this year if you break down the sample) when he's on the floor the Kings score a bit more and give up a few more points than when he's off.

Which fits what I see when he's on the court when I watch their games.

His talent isn't in doubt by anyone.

« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2012, 10:49:26 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
The only thing i'd trade Rondo for is a nice PG/Big man combo like Rubio/Love, Curry/Lee, Conley/Gasol, Lawson/Faried... something like that.

« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2012, 10:54:07 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961

I really don't think we have seen alot of the "REAL" Cousins yet. He plays spectactuar moments...he is now to age under the right team he could Like Z BO clean up his act and be a superstar.  If he was playing for a serious coach (DOC) he'd respect and older players that would make him focus ( KG, JET , PP) , ones he would respect listen to their advice ...this guy is a top ten in the NBA player.

« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2012, 11:03:00 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

I agree that they are both "very good NBA players," and I would go as far as to add that they have the potential to get even better.  But, Rondo is a superstar, top ten NBA player, the kind of player that is the cornerstone of a franchise.  You need a guy like that, and there's no guarantee that DeMarcus Cousins or Tyreke Evans will ever reach that status.

When you have that guy entering his prime, you don't trade him away for guys who are "very good NBA players."

http://www.nba.com/history/finals/champions.html

When you factor that NBA champions are never built around PGs -- particularly one's who struggle intensely with shooting -- i think calling Rondo a superstar or a top 10 NBA player is a reach... even if you consider him the best player at his position (which I don't).

There are very few bigs in the NBA who are a better combo of existing ability, youth, and potential to improve than Cousins. If one believes he can grow up -- a big if -- you'd trade Rondo for him every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

I'd also keep in mind that Ainge has long been a fan of Evans -- he'd be a major reason why the Cs would consider a package of the two should that opportunity arise.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2012, 11:25:19 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
That's a tough one. I'd still say no, but not because it's a bad deal for us.

I'd say no, because trading Rondo would decimate this team, and neither Tyreke or Cousins are good enough right now to make that right. I'd say no for pierce, KG, and JET

Ya, this is a great point. Because from a basketball standpoint I think I'd consider it, I think I'd even argue it could help our chances of winning this year.

« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2012, 11:29:13 AM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!

Evans and Cousins? I love Rondo, but I'd do this in a heart beat.

« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2012, 11:38:22 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

http://www.nba.com/history/finals/champions.html

When you factor that NBA champions are never built around PGs -- particularly one's who struggle intensely with shooting -- i think calling Rondo a superstar or a top 10 NBA player is a reach... even if you consider him the best player at his position (which I don't).

There are very few bigs in the NBA who are a better combo of existing ability, youth, and potential to improve than Cousins. If one believes he can grow up -- a big if -- you'd trade Rondo for him every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

I'd also keep in mind that Ainge has long been a fan of Evans -- he'd be a major reason why the Cs would consider a package of the two should that opportunity arise.

I believe that by almost any objective measure, one would have to consider Rondo a top ten player.

The trick will to get a potential all star caliber big to play alongside Rondo for the future of this club, not to trade him away for one.

If Danny has the smarts and the patience (which I think he does), I think that we could be in a position within the next couple of years to make that happen. 

I'm not suggesting that Rondo can lead this team to championship contention by himself.  Then again, there's no NBA player that can.
DKC Seventy-Sixers: