Author Topic: Hayward sign-and-trade completed  (Read 62600 times)

Re: Hayward sign-and-trade completed
« Reply #375 on: November 29, 2020, 04:27:49 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 415
Glad it’s finally over..good luck to Gordon but now it’s time to move on
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #376 on: November 29, 2020, 04:27:50 PM »

Online RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Great news!!! Very good offseason for Ainge overall.

We have a full season plus some of the next offseason to use this so it gives us a lot of flexibility.

Realistically, what would we have to give the Wizards to get Beal with the TPE? Our future picks have all been used up and our prospects at the moment aren't overwhelming anybody.

I figure if we give Nesmith and Langford enough court time and one of them manages to impress that may change, but at the moment I can't see a team trading us a player like Beal for the prospects we have without giving up Smart or Brown which I would not want to do.

The TPE isn't big enough to absorb Beal (who earns 28.75M this season and 34.5M a year later) and you can't combine a TPE with player salaries or other TPE's. So acquiring Beal can't be done via the TPE.

Since we're hard capped (due to the MLE signing of Thompson) we can't use the TPE this season to absorb a contract as big as Beal anyway (unless we make other moves). We're 16M below the tax and 22M below the tax apron. Otherwise stars/starters with declining trading value (expiring contract or unhappy) like Gobert, DeRozan, Vucevic, Hield or LaVine would be interesting targets. The signing of Thompson at 9.5M really blocks those possibilities.

I don't know what we're going to with that huge TPE, but it wouldn't surprise me if we split it up to add multiple quality role players instead of trying to get another All Star.

« Reply #377 on: November 29, 2020, 04:28:50 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
What's the max for Giannis next season?  :laugh:
It doesn’t fit into the exception

His contract does this year. ;) I'd take the chance. I'm sure the Bucks can get WAY more, but if he said Boston or he's going some were's else next season, the TPE is better than nothing for them and they could still grab some one during the dead line or next summer.

It's a pipe dream, but man if DA pulled that off we have to lock all the "Fire DA" threads for a bit. LOL

« Reply #378 on: November 29, 2020, 04:31:56 PM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru
The Cs now could of course.... still trade for Miles Turner ;D

« Reply #379 on: November 29, 2020, 04:33:20 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I feel like Wizards are going to ask the moon for Beal

Instead what about these early proposals

To Kings: Timelord, Langford,  future 1st,  future 2nd
To Celtics:  Hield

To Rockets:  Langford  +  two future 2nds
To Celtics: Eric Gordon

To Wizards:  Langford + future 1st
To Celtics: Bertans

« Reply #380 on: November 29, 2020, 04:35:36 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
Great news!!! Very good offseason for Ainge overall.

We have a full season plus some of the next offseason to use this so it gives us a lot of flexibility.

Realistically, what would we have to give the Wizards to get Beal with the TPE? Our future picks have all been used up and our prospects at the moment aren't overwhelming anybody.

I figure if we give Nesmith and Langford enough court time and one of them manages to impress that may change, but at the moment I can't see a team trading us a player like Beal for the prospects we have without giving up Smart or Brown which I would not want to do.

The TPE isn't big enough to absorb Beal (who earns 28.75M this season and 34.5M a year later) and you can't combine a TPE with player salaries or other TPE's. So acquiring Beal can't be done via the TPE.

Since we're hard capped (due to the MLE signing of Thompson) we can't use the TPE this season to absorb a contract as big as Beal anyway (unless we make other moves). We're 16M below the tax and 22M below the tax apron. Otherwise stars/starters with declining trading value (expiring contract or unhappy) like Gobert, DeRozan, Vucevic, Hield or LaVine would be interesting targets. The signing of Thompson at 9.5M really blocks those possibilities.

I don't know what we're going to with that huge TPE, but it wouldn't surprise me if we split it up to add multiple quality role players instead of trying to get another All Star.
I would add Ariza, George Hill and Horford to the list furthermore OKC are open for business unlike most other teams.
With the signing Thompson I think Timelord path to securing a second contract with the Celtics is an uphill battle. I think him plus second rounders will be what Danny uses to bring in those role players..
One last name that I think can be of interest is Lamarcus Aldridge. I think he can give us some solid offense in the playoffs this year but defense is probably suspect.

« Reply #381 on: November 29, 2020, 04:38:33 PM »

Online RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
Will probably expire or used to get a bad contract and a 1st rounder. Don't have faith it will be used on a good player.

Welcome Thaddeus Young!  :laugh:

I'm hoping Aaron Gordon, Harrison Barnes, Buddy Hield (next season), Nikola Vucevic (next season), Jonas Valanciunas, Davis Bertans (next season), Markelle Fultz (S+T, next season) or John Collins (S+T, next season)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 04:45:08 PM by RodyTur10 »

« Reply #382 on: November 29, 2020, 04:39:11 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
I feel like Wizards are going to ask the moon for Beal

Instead what about these early proposals

To Kings: Timelord, Langford,  future 1st,  future 2nd
To Celtics:  Hield

To Rockets:  Langford  +  two future 2nds
To Celtics: Eric Gordon

To Wizards:  Langford + future 1st
To Celtics: Bertans
Kings - big overpay ... I think Romeo only is enough

Rockets same as kings

Wizards - the only way they do it is if Bertrans forgets how to shoot which is a non starter for us anyway lol

« Reply #383 on: November 29, 2020, 04:39:18 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Don’t know if it’s been gone over or not but this large of an exemption is pretty much useless this season, correct? We can use it next offseason before it expires, but with the hard cap from the Thompson signing, we would only be able to use a fraction of it.

I guess Ainge sits on this until summer 2021 and see if he can reel in a big fish for some young players and picks?

Either way, I see this TPE expiring without anything substantial coming back to us. Basically, a whole big hoopla over the Hayward debacle, then drama over a S&T, and in the end it will all be for nothing.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #384 on: November 29, 2020, 04:39:49 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298

I feel the exact same way. TP.

« Reply #385 on: November 29, 2020, 04:45:13 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell

I feel the exact same way. TP.
This whole Hayward drama is not over ..  it will be revised and argued upon over and over especially if we make a deep run in the playoffs but come up short just like this year

« Reply #386 on: November 29, 2020, 04:45:22 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
Don’t know if it’s been gone over or not but this large of an exemption is pretty much useless this season, correct? We can use it next offseason before it expires, but with the hard cap from the Thompson signing, we would only be able to use a fraction of it.

I guess Ainge sits on this until summer 2021 and see if he can reel in a big fish for some young players and picks?

Either way, I see this TPE expiring without anything substantial coming back to us. Basically, a whole big hoopla over the Hayward debacle, then drama over a S&T, and in the end it will all be for nothing.

The c's roughly 16 million under the tax and 22 under the hard cap to use this season, if the C's want to. They of course don't have to, it will last into next off season if they want to wait.

« Reply #387 on: November 29, 2020, 04:48:18 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I'd really love to get a stud player like Beal (not even sure he fits into a TPE) or Hield. Both of those guys would make us incredibly formidable on offence.

But I don't know if it's particularly realistic. I think the more likely move will be going after some vet experience, as our roster is quite young.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #388 on: November 29, 2020, 04:53:04 PM »

Online RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
I'd really love to get a stud player like Beal (not even sure he fits into a TPE) or Hield. Both of those guys would make us incredibly formidable on offence.

But I don't know if it's particularly realistic. I think the more likely move will be going after some vet experience, as our roster is quite young.

Beal doesn't fit into the TPE. To get him we would need to trade Walker (or give up way too many players and value).

« Reply #389 on: November 29, 2020, 04:58:00 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2706

Beal doesn't fit into the TPE. To get him we would need to trade Walker (or give up way too many players and value).

Ok. John Collins sounds like a very good option then.