Author Topic: Detroit Red Wings Dent Lord Stanley's Cup  (Read 5200 times)

Detroit Red Wings Dent Lord Stanley's Cup
« on: June 20, 2008, 08:51:01 AM »

Offline Mean Gerald Green

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 212
  • Cool Runnings
    Here's what happened: Chris Chelios was atop the bar, Coyote Ugly style, Cup in hand, with the packed crowd cheering madly. At some point there was an attempted handoff to Brett Lebda. Whether it was the chaos of the crowd, or the...umm...content of the blood, balance was lost. Down went Lebda. Down went Stanley.

And no, the dent wasn't "slight."

In fact, it needed emergency service. Mike Bolt, the Keeper of the Cup, was taken to Joe Louis Arena, where Stan, like a forward who took a puck in the eye, was placed gently on the trainer's table in the Red Wings dressing room, and operated on.

Bolt had to use a hammer to carefully pop the dent out, a procedure that resembled neurosurgery in its intricacy. One of the bands that contain all the names popped off at one point. But like Bobby Baun, the Cup was right back out there for the rest of its appearances. Heroic.

Now that we are the proud owners of the Larry O'Brien trophy this is even more amusing.

I trust nothing will get out of hand with our boys, seeing as how it appears KG has had the trophy surgically grafted to himself.

Way to go Red Wings...  :P

Here's the link to the whole story: http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Red-Wings-boozy-confession-We-jacked-up-the-St?urn=nhl,88387

Re: Detroit Red Wings Dent Lord Stanley's Cup
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 08:58:02 AM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
Hahaha that's one of the funniest things I've ever heard.  I'm surprised that hasn't happened before in all the years.  I also wouldn't be surprised with the crazy antics of some of the C's if something happened to the good old Larry O'Brien trophy.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 09:28:34 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Hahaha that's one of the funniest things I've ever heard.  I'm surprised that hasn't happened before in all the years.  I also wouldn't be surprised with the crazy antics of some of the C's if something happened to the good old Larry O'Brien trophy.

The difference is the Celtics won "A" Larry O'Brien Trophy, the Red Wings won "THE" Stanley Cup!  Oh, those nutty hockey players.
Yup

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 11:48:14 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I can pretty much guarantee that this isn't the first time something like this has happened.  I'm surprised that that thing isn't more dinged up than it is.

I've got to say, having one championship trophy that gets passed around was a stroke of genius by the NHL.  I love that tradition.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 11:52:26 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
I've got to say, having one championship trophy that gets passed around was a stroke of genius by the NHL.  I love that tradition.

Even the blind dog gets the bone once in a while ;)
Yup

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 12:31:47 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

Even the blind dog gets the bone once in a while ;)

Eh...  the NHL didn't *always* suck.  It only when down hill when the owners became wildly greedy, expanding the sport to warm weather areas and increasing ticket prices so the "core" hockey fans couldn't go any more.  Then, hockey moved exclusively to cable in most markets.  From there, there was the strike, cancelling over a season's worth of hockey.  Lastly, post-strike the NHL was banished to life on the OLN channel, where a lot of people didn't even have access to Stanley Cup games.

It was a genius plan to kill the sport, and the owners and Player's Association executed it to perfection.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions