Poll

Should CelticsBlog restrict scores, identifying the winner, etc. in thread titles?

Yes, lots of fans DVR games and then watch later;
24 (38.7%)
No, by coming to a basketball forum you risk being "spoiled"
38 (61.3%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Author Topic: Poll: Should we restrict "spoilers" about games in thread titles?  (Read 25061 times)

Re: Poll: Should we restrict "spoilers" about games in thread titles?
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2016, 11:34:26 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The reason it's a big issue is because a large portion of your audience are living overseas, so an NBA game is on at say, 10 am in Australia while people are work, or 3 pm in Thailand etc...
There should be an effort to keep results out of thread titles- especially with regular posters.
There's a '2016 NBA season' thread for results.

By allowing results in thread titles, you're basically saying 'don't use Celticsblog all day if you want to enjoy an NBA game when you live overseas or missed the game while you were out'.

Obviously if people come to Celticsblog then they should understand they may find out the result of a Celtics game-so avoid the blog if you don't wanna know Celtics results.

The other teams though, there really is no reason to post results of matches.
Just have 'Raptors vs Cavs 22.04.16 discussion' or something.

Doesn't even have to be a written rule, just a courtesy. I've asked triboy not to do it before, and he ignored it- I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds it annoying.

Hate to be blunt, but that's on you then.  If you don't want spoilers, don't come on the blog.

We're a basketball blog. We're going to discuss basketball.  We're all passionate enough that we're going to discuss it on a daily basis so, obviously, that's going to include games.

As a moderator, I don't really want to be concerned about whether or not someone has seen a game yet.  To me, that's on the individual poster.

Again, sorry to be blunt, but that's my feeling on this.

I don't think you're sorry to be blunt.  But whatever.

From a pure cost-benefit way to look at it, do you think having to name a thread "Spurs-Warriors game" instead of "Spurs beat Warriors 85-77" is going to cause you so much less enjoyment that it's worth spoiling the results for someone who has yet to watch the game?  It's not like this is a Spurs website or a Warriors website.  Honestly I think the amount of enjoyment someone gets from a thread title must be far beneath the amount of enjoyment someone loses from having the results spoiled from them.  Furthermore, as only one person gets enjoyment from any given thread title, whereas more than one may lose enjoyment from having the results spoiled, I think it makes sense to not post said results in the title of a thread.

Devil's advocate: Is there a line? What about "Durant scores 101!"; "Curry hits game winner from the opposite baseline!"; "Warriors score 200 on Kings; Boogie decapitates Karl in loss"?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2016, 11:35:57 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
This came up in another thread.  A user was disappointed to learn the winner and final score of the Spurs versus Warriors game.

Is avoiding spoilers something that you care about? Should this be codified in an official rule? We would like to hear from the community on this.
Why is this even being considered mods?

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2016, 11:36:34 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
The reason it's a big issue is because a large portion of your audience are living overseas, so an NBA game is on at say, 10 am in Australia while people are work, or 3 pm in Thailand etc...
There should be an effort to keep results out of thread titles- especially with regular posters.

By allowing results in thread titles, you're basically saying 'don't use Celticsblog all day if you want to enjoy an NBA game when you live overseas or missed the game while you were out'.

Obviously if people come to Celticsblog then they should understand they may find out the result of a Celtics game-so avoid the blog if you don't wanna know Celtics results.

Doesn't even have to be a written rule, just a courtesy. I've asked triboy not to do it before, and he ignored it- I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds it annoying.

Hate to be blunt, but that's on you then.  If you don't want spoilers, don't come on the blog.

We're a basketball blog. We're going to discuss basketball.  We're all passionate enough that we're going to discuss it on a daily basis so, obviously, that's going to include games.

As a moderator, I don't really want to be concerned about whether or not someone has seen a game yet.  To me, that's on the individual poster.

From a pure cost-benefit way to look at it, do you think having to name a thread "Spurs-Warriors game" instead of "Spurs beat Warriors 85-77" is going to cause you so much less enjoyment that it's worth spoiling the results for someone who has yet to watch the game?  It's not like this is a Spurs website or a Warriors website.  Honestly I think the amount of enjoyment someone gets from a thread title must be far beneath the amount of enjoyment someone loses from having the results spoiled from them.  Furthermore, as only one person gets enjoyment from any given thread title, whereas more than one may lose enjoyment from having the results spoiled, I think it makes sense to not post said results in the title of a thread.

there is no way around it.  Someone else could start a thread "Spurs remain undefeated at home"  "Spurs are 35-0 at home now"    etc

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2016, 11:36:50 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Also, as someone who DVRed many Patriots games but went on Celticblog before watching my taped game, I am thankful that the Pats score was never given in thread titles on this blog. What's the harm in not putting scores in thread titles?

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2016, 11:37:28 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
This came up in another thread.  A user was disappointed to learn the winner and final score of the Spurs versus Warriors game.

Is avoiding spoilers something that you care about? Should this be codified in an official rule? We would like to hear from the community on this.

Somebody mentioned it as a concern. There are competing interests here, so we wanted to start a discussion.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2016, 11:38:06 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Also, as someone who DVRed many Patriots games but went on Celticblog before watching my taped game, I am thankful that the Pats score was never given in thread titles on this blog. What's the harm in not putting scores in thread titles?

again and like Roy has provided examples above

there is no way around it.  Someone else could start a thread "Spurs remain undefeated at home"  "Spurs are 35-0 at home now"    etc

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2016, 11:38:57 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I'm going to bed now, but I'll bump this tomorrow when CBers from the other side of the world are awake who share the same pain are up.

I just want regulars to think about it before they make a thread.
Triboy didn't need to put the score/result in that thread title. His one action ruins the result for dozens (or more) other people who were hoping to watch and enjoy a great game.

It's just a nice, community based rule to have.

Please try and see it from the point of view of someone living in an opposite time zone.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2016, 11:40:12 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Somebody mentioned it as a concern. There are competing interests here, so we wanted to start a discussion.

Roy H  if its a "yes"

goodluck to you and other moderators trying to crackdown on "Spurs remain undefeated at home" etc.     

And also when can you start a thread like this? A week later?

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2016, 11:41:02 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

Glad you wasted your time trying to figure that out.

I offered my opinion. That all.  I understand what chambers is saying. I just disagree with it. It's that simple.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2016, 11:42:07 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I'm going to bed now, but I'll bump this tomorrow when CBers from the other side of the world are awake who share the same pain are up.

Triboy didn't need to put the score/result in that thread title. His one action ruins the result for dozens (or more) other people who were hoping to watch and enjoy a great game.

Please try and see it from the point of view of someone living in an opposite time zone.

ok. Do you want the forum not to talk about Celtics game in real time also? 

think about it. Again no disrespect to international fans or fans from diff time zones

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2016, 11:46:43 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

again and like Roy has provided examples above

Of course there is a way around it. "Spurs-Warriors game discussion: does streak continue?"

Durant scores 101 in win: "Brooklyn-OKC game discussion: Durant breaks record!"

It's actually pretty easy and can make for some clever thread titles.

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2016, 11:47:18 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Its incredibly annoying to see the results of a game you've DVR'd or havent been able to watch yet on another website and spoil things for the viewers.

At the same time, in this day and age of multiple media outlets and scores flashing all over the place on the web, one can stumble upon the score of a game at any outlet not just celticsblog.

Users can chose whether or not to be courteous to others but as far as a restriction I dont see it being warranted as it would just be too hard to monitor.

« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2016, 11:49:09 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

think about it. Again no disrespect to international fans or fans from diff time zones

No, this is Celticsblog,  people should expect that they may see celtics results ASAP here.
However, results and discussion generally take place in each game thread.

Im just asking you as a regular  forum member to consider this before putting the score /result in the thread title.

Just think that mm any people haven't watched the biggest regular season game of the year so far. And we'd like to enjoy it whilst also enjoying CB.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2016, 12:04:18 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

No, this is Celticsblog,  people should expect that they may see celtics results ASAP here.
However, results and discussion generally take place in each game thread.

Im just asking you as a regular  forum member to consider this before putting the score /result in the thread title.

Just think that mm any people haven't watched the biggest regular season game of the year so far. And we'd like to enjoy it whilst also enjoying CB.

not trying to be argumentative but you are setting a double standard.   For some, each Celtic game is the biggest game of the year.

And also goodluck visiting the forum once the playoffs start.   Unless, your response is "well that is different"

In reality it is near impossible one way or the other to not run into spoilers once you turn on the news/sports websites.   Safest way is to watch the pre recorded game first. Many people do that here with Celtics games. I have to do that on occasions.

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2016, 12:13:40 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
No.

Honestly, it'll be hard to regulate. It'll be hard to follow up on. It'll give mods unnecessary work.

Don't want to risk being spoiled, don't come in to the forum until you've watched all you're interested in watching for that day.