Author Topic: Report: Tatum was playing injured too  (Read 2459 times)

Report: Tatum was playing injured too
« on: September 28, 2020, 02:39:12 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1418
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Apparently, our whole team was falling apart. From Jared Weiss at The Athletic:

Tatum rapidly evolved over the course of the season, and therefore so did the Celtics’ crunch-time offense. Stevens never quite was able to find a way to make it blend in the same way it did earlier in the year, and that offers the one major area of improvement for him. The young star was playing with a banged-up right leg that became apparent halfway through the series. Yet he still led the playoffs in minutes per game and he kept fighting even when his shot wasn’t falling.

https://theathletic.com/2094389/2020/09/27/celtics-eliminated-but-still-have-promising-future/
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

Re: Report: Tatum was playing injured too
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2020, 02:40:23 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
That’s on Danny for the lack of depth. Tatum had to play all these minutes... what a shame

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2020, 02:46:23 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
That sounds more like the type of banged up literally everybody is at that point of the playoffs than actually being injured.

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2020, 02:55:04 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 887
He is 22.  He probably was banged up.  He will be more durable and ready for a playoff run as he matures.  I am not worried.  Short of Magic Johnson in the finals as a rookie, Tatum played about as well as you can ask of a 22 year old player.  It is a shame if this really did hinder him but I am not sure it did based on what I saw.

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2020, 03:04:31 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1418
  • Let's Go Celtics!
He is 22.  He probably was banged up.  He will be more durable and ready for a playoff run as he matures.  I am not worried.  Short of Magic Johnson in the finals as a rookie, Tatum played about as well as you can ask of a 22 year old player.  It is a shame if this really did hinder him but I am not sure it did based on what I saw.

I think it did a bit, especially in game 4 when it really looked like his movement was impeded and everyone kept wondering during the broadcast if he was hurt. His game doesn't completely rely on athleticism, so it may not have been as obvious all the time.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2020, 03:17:09 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
That’s on Danny for the lack of depth. Tatum had to play all these minutes... what a shame

Too bad Langford got injured

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2020, 04:37:20 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2673
  • bammokja
hayward, tatum, langford...

with even average injury luck the celtics would be in the finals this year....with a good chance of beating LA.

next year i expect the cetlics to be in the finals and to win it all....barring injuries.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2020, 05:00:49 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1019
Well now all the excuses come out. But...I supposed getting banged up happens when you have or the other J had to carry the team on your back each game.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2020, 05:13:01 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Everybody is banged up by round 3.

You've got to build your team to be able to succeed despite that.

The Celts had to play their main 6 guys wayyyy too much just to get to the conference finals.

In some sense it shouldn't be surprising that Miami seemed to have way more (orange) juice available to push them over the line at the end of games.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2020, 07:25:25 AM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1258
I remember Marc Jackson and JVG were saying that Tatum wasn’t moving normally and suggested that he may indeed be playing injured. So maybe there’s some truth to that report.

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2020, 09:13:56 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

Too bad Langford got injured

And Hayward and Javante'.

Let's face it, we played most of the playoffs with no real depth behind Tatum & Jaylen other than, well ... Semi.

Having any of Hayward, Javonte' or Langford fully healthy might have made the difference when you lose games as close as we lost games 1, 2 & 4.   Even if it just means they had played only in earlier games in the playoffs that were not as close, giving the Jays more rest along the way.

So really, it's perhaps not fair to blame Danny for the lack of depth when three of our wings got injured right away for most or all of the playoffs.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2020, 09:17:09 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3773
  • Yup
Everybody is banged up by round 3.

You've got to build your team to be able to succeed despite that.

The Celts had to play their main 6 guys wayyyy too much just to get to the conference finals.

In some sense it shouldn't be surprising that Miami seemed to have way more (orange) juice available to push them over the line at the end of games.

I wonder how different things would have been if Toronto hadn't made that miracle shot in game 3.

...if ands and buts were candy and nuts
Yup

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2020, 09:19:23 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 293

I think it did a bit, especially in game 4 when it really looked like his movement was impeded and everyone kept wondering during the broadcast if he was hurt. His game doesn't completely rely on athleticism, so it may not have been as obvious all the time.

Yeah Van Gundy picked up on this early on. Just said he wasn't moving right. So it makes sense there was some injury, though no one at the time would confirm it.