Author Topic: RIP Uncle Phil  (Read 3338 times)

RIP Uncle Phil
« on: January 02, 2014, 11:42:13 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Darn it not a great way to start off 2014... :(

Rest in peace, one of the favorite characters next to Ashley and Will. Loved his overall comedic performance, and thought he was probably one of the most underrated actors in Fresh Prince.

"Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" actor James Avery died in a Los Angeles hospital last night (Dec. 31), according to TMZ. He was 68.

His publicist confirmed the news of his death to CNN, as did his former co-star Alfonso Ribeiro, who tweeted, "I'm deeply saddened to say that James Avery has passed away. He was a second father to me. I will miss him greatly."

Avery had recently undergone open heart surgery and reportedly died from complications from the operation.

A classically trained actor and poet, Avery grew up in Atlantic City, N.J., where he was raised by a single mother. He served in the Navy during the Vietnam War and first appeared onscreen as a dancer in an uncredited role in the 1980 film "The Blues Brothers."

Avery also voiced characters for many animated series, most notably for 1987's "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" and the 1990s "Iron Man" series. He will, of course, be remembered for playing Phillip Banks, the stern but loving uncle to Will Smith's character on "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/01/james-avery-dead-dies%5Fn%5F4528384.html

---
EDIT: On a personal note, I can't play basketball, or matter of fact I couldn't. After playing freshman basketball, I collapsed on a fast break play. My doctor diagnosed with a slight torn heart valve. My papillary muscles were actually disfigured, and the doctors had to replace them by stitching them back.

When I was born at the tender age of 3 months old, I had a open heart surgery. A hole in my heart which doctors couldn't explain had to stitch it back as my body began to turn blue, and I began to die and suffocate without the use of being able to breathe in oxygen. After I was taken to the ER in Jamaica Queens hospital, I was saved. At the time a high risk operation in 1991 had a success rate of 51% chance. I could've died, but I didn't.

This hits hard home, because I understand the huge risks and gamble you take with this surgery. Rest in peace Uncle Phil.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Re: RIP Uncle Phil
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 12:38:42 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525
Not my favorite show, but he was excellent in the role and it's always sad to hear that someone familiar has passed. 

Thanks for sharing the personal story -- very glad you survived all the difficultiess.  Continued good health to you!!

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 01:31:46 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Monkhouse, my prayers for your continued health.

Fresh Prince was one of my favorite shows at the time of its original broadcast. I'll miss the big guy behind Firth, Wynn, and Myer.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 02:01:32 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
No one ever gives him credit for being Shredder.  Dude is a legend

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 02:07:35 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Yeah James Avery did a lot of voice acting in a plethora of cartoons. Funny thing is whenever he does the voice, I always imagine a very cranky Uncle Phil being woken up in the early morning by Will Smith and Carlton's antics.

Monkhouse, my prayers for your continued health.

Fresh Prince was one of my favorite shows at the time of its original broadcast. I'll miss the big guy behind Firth, Wynn, and Myer.
Not my favorite show, but he was excellent in the role and it's always sad to hear that someone familiar has passed. 

Thanks for sharing the personal story -- very glad you survived all the difficultiess.  Continued good health to you!!

Thank you guys, means a lot to me, I've dealt with difficulties doing track, and playing basketball since I have had heart problems. I think I won't be playing any sports anymore, doctors recommended for me to quit smoking and avoid rigorous activities. Unfortunately, it doesn't help the fact I do smoke cigarettes ;/
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 02:22:42 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

I watched TMNT and never knew that has him until I read his obit.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis