Author Topic: Deadspin: Magic Left ESPN Because Of Bill Simmons  (Read 17126 times)

Re: Deadspin: Magic Left ESPN Because Of Bill Simmons
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2013, 10:10:22 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
One thing I've always liked about BS is the way he seems to know and understand human nature and psychology better than a lot of people around him.   

Takes one look at a situation and says "Quitter"....then "I'll believe him when he stops changing his story".    It flustered Doc and Doc's whole family because Doc is used to manipulating the media with his whole good guy persona and he couldn't fool Bill.

The way he was clear that the Sox shouldn't take back Roger Clemens and likened it to having a celebrity girlfriend that gets famous and is too good for you and then comes back when she's all used up and thinks things can be the same.

The Ewing Theory

The unintentional comedy ratings

The way he sorts out his nba rankings....like the category "He means more to us than you"

The way he brings his dad into things

I think sometimes Bill gets what's going on around him from a non sports perspective and you can see it in his mailbag with a lot of the weird questions he gets and his excellent responses. I think in a way it sort of asks something different of his readers. You have to have a sense of humor to read his stuff AND be a geek AND care about sports. 

« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2013, 10:13:44 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Viva Bethelham Shoals.

What's he doing now? Is he at Bleacher Report, or did I fever dream that?

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2013, 10:17:48 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
One thing I've always liked about BS is the way he seems to know and understand human nature and psychology better than a lot of people around him.   

Takes one look at a situation and says "Quitter"....then "I'll believe him when he stops changing his story".    It flustered Doc and Doc's whole family because Doc is used to manipulating the media with his whole good guy persona and he couldn't fool Bill.

The way he was clear that the Sox shouldn't take back Roger Clemens and likened it to having a celebrity girlfriend that gets famous and is too good for you and then comes back when she's all used up and thinks things can be the same.

The Ewing Theory

The way he sorts out his nba rankings....like the category "He means more to us than you"

I think sometimes Bill gets what's going on around him from a non sports perspective and you can see it in his mailbag with a lot of the weird questions he gets and his excellent responses. I think in a way it sort of asks something different of his readers. You have to have a sense of humor to read his stuff AND be a geek AND care about sports.

That's a great summation. I endorse this.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2013, 10:18:37 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Viva Bethelham Shoals.

What's he doing now? Is he at Bleacher Report, or did I fever dream that?

I think he's taking money from BR, yeah. I know he's still the editor in chief of The Classical, though Roth is, from what I've seen, more of the day-to-day dude over there.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2013, 10:59:42 PM »

Offline paidthecost2betheboss

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 40

The Ewing Theory

Bill is the one guy it seemed that wasn't drinking Doc's Kool Aide and I'll always remember that. Following him write about the Yankees collapse/Sox comeback in 04 was some of the finest sports/fan writings ever.

I know he talks with his heart on his sleave but frankly...I don't trust folks who don't...not as much anyway.

TP

« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2013, 12:51:29 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
Simmons adds to my enjoyment of basketball because he's passionate about the NBA, understands how and why teams fail or succeed and yet never loses his fan's perspective.  I think the ESPN show is still evolving.  I think there's a massive opportunity there for an ex coach or GM to jump in there but it can't be just anyone.  They need someone who's informative but also entertaining and not afraid to ruffle some feathers by calling out his peers if they deserve it.  ESPN is the network for sports nuts so they need someone who can play to that audience -- I.e. us.

If Simmons is there to stay I think they'll need to do some tinkering till they can find the right fit.  Then the 4th guy should probably be a recently retired player.

« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2013, 12:52:54 AM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
Magic wasn't a good analyst but Simmons is annoying. I dunno, I don't think I'd care if either left. I don't like ESPN's coverage in general.

I prefer TNT anyway. For the comedy.

« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2013, 02:29:26 AM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
I really like Bill Simmons. I think he's a pretty insightful and somewhat goofy guy. I am also a pretty relgious PTI watcher and I love Wilbon for his serious and often overbearing love of sports.

This is all preamble to say that I though Magic Johnson was a horrible TV analyst and couldn't agree more with Simmons about the sycophants.

Jalen Rose has actually grown on me since I've been watching the Grantland countdown of NBA teams. The problem is when he's on a panel with Magic (his self-admitted childhood idol) Jalen just couldn't bring himself to disagree with him. That was a problem. Magic had brain dead things to say in commentary about NBA teams and play. Things like "Durant just needs to lead his team" and "Lebron is the best player in basketball and he's playing like it." duh

I heard Doug Collins got hired in and I'm not exactly thrilled about that either. Dude brings a weirdly emotional tone to pretty much everything he's a part of. We'll see how it goes. Arrivederci Magic!

« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2013, 05:00:03 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
I really like Bill Simmons. I think he's a pretty insightful and somewhat goofy guy. I am also a pretty relgious PTI watcher and I love Wilbon for his serious and often overbearing love of sports.

This is all preamble to say that I though Magic Johnson was a horrible TV analyst and couldn't agree more with Simmons about the sycophants.

Jalen Rose has actually grown on me since I've been watching the Grantland countdown of NBA teams. The problem is when he's on a panel with Magic (his self-admitted childhood idol) Jalen just couldn't bring himself to disagree with him. That was a problem. Magic had brain dead things to say in commentary about NBA teams and play. Things like "Durant just needs to lead his team" and "Lebron is the best player in basketball and he's playing like it." duh

I heard Doug Collins got hired in and I'm not exactly thrilled about that either. Dude brings a weirdly emotional tone to pretty much everything he's a part of. We'll see how it goes. Arrivederci Magic!
Doug Collins = depressing
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2013, 10:11:55 AM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
I am also a pretty relgious PTI watcher and I love Wilbon for his serious and often overbearing love of sports.

Hey the first post to mention Wilbon.

Everyone's talking about Simmons and Magic, with the general consensus being ESPN made out okay because Simmons > Magic.  But this all because of ESPN demoting Wilbon.  Doesn't it go Wilbon >>>>>>> Simmons > Magic.  If it was just more Simmons and no more Magic, sure ESPN wins (or at least doesn't lose).  But more Simmons and no Wilbon, ESPN loses, IMO.  Or do you guys not like him?

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2013, 10:17:19 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
Wilbon is okay, kinda boring. He's nice enough but I wouldn't say he's entertaining really at all.

I can't stand espn in its entirety though. If their countdown is on ill almost watch anything but it until the game starts, especually if celts aren't playing. Not to mention everything else that's throw up on that station