Author Topic: Deadspin: Magic Left ESPN Because Of Bill Simmons  (Read 17128 times)

Re: Deadspin: Magic Left ESPN Because Of Bill Simmons
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2013, 05:31:02 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Magic just got tired of getting served by Bill every night.

I tell you one other thing about Bill....remember how he used to campaign to be the GM of the Bucks?  He'd have been a great GM. A lot better than his buddy Isaiah Thomas anyway

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2013, 05:52:01 PM »

Offline TheWatersEdge

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6

I tell you one other thing about Bill....remember how he used to campaign to be the GM of the Bucks?  He'd have been a great GM. A lot better than his buddy Isaiah Thomas anyway

Absolutely agree with both points.  Magic added literally nothing useful, and I just don't think he really researched much or cared too much if things didn't involve the Lakers.  I'm sure Bill will help choose a far more knowledgeable and entertaining addition. 

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2013, 06:32:12 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
I think Simmons is a thin-skinned tool, but Magic was a poor analyst.

Whoa...........man......LOL

Very funny

TP.     

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2013, 06:33:08 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454

I think he'd make a terrible GM - this is the guy that sent Steph Curry flying 20 spots up in his rankings off a handful of playoff games in the first round.

He's extremely excitable - which is big part of why he's able to make his writing so colorful - but his analysis is greatly weakened by his thirst for the dramatic and transcendent.

2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2013, 07:07:58 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

I think he'd make a terrible GM - this is the guy that sent Steph Curry flying 20 spots up in his rankings off a handful of playoff games in the first round.

He's extremely excitable - which is big part of why he's able to make his writing so colorful - but his analysis is greatly weakened by his thirst for the dramatic and transcendent.
I like excitable. Mark Cuban was good for the game. Nobody on the Clippers was excitable for a long time

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2013, 07:08:14 PM »

Offline Eric M VAN

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 61
  • No no no, not THAT "Eric M Van".
At the risk of being a "Back in my day..." kinda guy, Simmons, when he was doing his Email News Letter and Website (Boston Digital or something?) was more entertaining, more user friendly and a lot more fun.

Obviously he didn't have the folks handcuffing him then as he did during his early ESPN days, so his stuff was more "fan to fan' then the LA guy he's become. All those dreams of rubbing shoulders with players and entertainers came true and that took some of the "Hey I know this guy" sheen off of him.

Of course, Karate Kid and Midnight Run references made more sense back them too. He's a tool, but he's still our tool.

As for Magic, does Arsenio need a sidekick on his re-boot Talk show? Then we could keep them both in the same room and ignore them in one fell swoop.
"Because there are no fours."
-- Antoine Walker when asked why he shoots so many threes

"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees."
-Jason Kidd

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2013, 07:31:39 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

And the Steph Curry thing is totally justified.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2013, 07:49:52 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Is it because he thinks Bill Simmons would somehow make the people realize that he knows a ton more about basketball than Magic, that Magic had to bolt the last minute before it happens?

Take everyone out of that lineup but Simmons. He's very entertaining, very knowledgeable and he has that fan aura that connects him to people.

Heck, take out Magic and replace him with the Basketball Jones, that would probably be even better, funnier, more entertaining and more informative. Simmons and those guys, whew...
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2013, 08:08:05 PM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
Once the NBA TV moved to ATL and Peter Vecsey wasn't in show, BS became my default favorite.

I really enjoy Bill's opinion.  Doesn't hold back.  If he thinks you are overpaid or should be traded, he won't hold back.  Not even coaches are safe with Bill.  You will never hear say Steve Smith or Dennis Scott touch that....

Writers like Simmons, Vecsey don't care about keeping friends or "sources".  They see it - they call it.  And most times than not they make a good point.

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2013, 08:17:03 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Keep an eye out for NBATV's Starting 5 though. JE Skeets new home, and new home of TBJ.

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2013, 08:24:55 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Keep an eye out for NBATV's Starting 5 though. JE Skeets new home, and new home of TBJ.

Wait, they are on NBATV now? NICE! Those guys are the best. "What a CAHD!"
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2013, 08:46:33 PM »

Offline Eric M VAN

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 61
  • No no no, not THAT "Eric M Van".
Once the NBA TV moved to ATL and Peter Vecsey wasn't in show, BS became my default favorite.

I really enjoy Bill's opinion.  Doesn't hold back.  If he thinks you are overpaid or should be traded, he won't hold back.  Not even coaches are safe with Bill.  You will never hear say Steve Smith or Dennis Scott touch that....

Writers like Simmons, Vecsey don't care about keeping friends or "sources".  They see it - they call it.  And most times than not they make a good point.

I always thought Vecsey's source was "Let's just make stuff up"  ;)
"Because there are no fours."
-- Antoine Walker when asked why he shoots so many threes

"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees."
-Jason Kidd

« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2013, 08:47:11 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Yes, Magic was a lousy analyst.  But why all the love for Bill Simmons?  While his columns can be entertaining, especially the pop culture references, his television presence is very weak.   I much prefer listening to the likes of Tim Legler or Greg Anthony, guys who really understand the game, and actually speak logically. Ernie Johnson is a much better moderator than Simmons. Simmons lacks credibility as an analyst, and presence as a tv personality.  Again, I think his columns are good, but is a lightweight in front of the camera.  Think again, ESPN.

« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2013, 09:31:33 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Yes, Magic was a lousy analyst.  But why all the love for Bill Simmons?  While his columns can be entertaining, especially the pop culture references, his television presence is very weak.   I much prefer listening to the likes of Tim Legler or Greg Anthony, guys who really understand the game, and actually speak logically. Ernie Johnson is a much better moderator than Simmons. Simmons lacks credibility as an analyst, and presence as a tv personality.  Again, I think his columns are good, but is a lightweight in front of the camera.  Think again, ESPN.

I think tolerating Bill Simmons and genuinely liking him boils down to the podcasts. If you can listen to the podcasts and enjoy them, having him on TV is a bonus.

Positives: Frank, mostly unpolished and uncensored commentary, often humorous, and from a POV I find sympathetic (white kid all grown up but still kind of a kid at heart and obviously a person who sees sports as something that transcends just moving the ball from one place to another. A person who loves sports and the athletes who play them, and is still for the most part, like all of us, on the outside looking in.

Negatives: He can be kind of annoying sometimes, and weirdly ignorant about some of the finer aspects about the NBA, but still speaks like he isn't, and makes you want to chime in. But that kind of describes all sports personalities.

« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2013, 10:02:09 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Viva Bethelham Shoals.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.