Author Topic: Modern Family (TV Show)  (Read 11089 times)

Modern Family (TV Show)
« on: October 29, 2009, 01:32:56 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Well I can't replicate the awesome starter threads that Budweiser Celtic starts, I will leave it at this.

This show is the FUNNIEST show on primetime TV. I laughed more here than during 30 Rock, and that is pretty hard.

Maybe it's still behind (but only a little, seriously) Always Sunny and South Park, but as far as primetime goes, its ahead of the NBC.

Anyone else love this show?

Big ups to BigMatt. If he ever posts in here he deserves some TP's for giving me the heads up. I've watched 4 of the 5 first epis and its awesome.

All 5 epis can be seen here

http://www.hulu.com/modern-family?c=Comedy

Watch it. You're welcome.

BTW: This show has Ed O'Neil, and he's fantastic. Married With Children was one of my favorite shows. I own this shirt:

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Re: Modern Family (TV Show)
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 02:18:14 AM »

Offline GKC

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 80
  • !@#$%
It's a great show. It's even funnier because I have a lot of Colombian friends who are all exactly like Sophia Vergara

I wouldn't say it's the best show on primetime network. I've very much liked this season of The Office so far, but it has been very impressive. Hope they keep it up.
[img width= height= alt=]http://www.thegarz.net/Core/lucky.jpg[/img]

Never Forget

"Just because I stand over you doesn't mean you understand me" - Qwel

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 03:15:59 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Great show and some parts are hilarious, but I don't think it's a truly funny comedy.  Then again I don't find a lot of comedies very funny.

I wouldn't say it even comes close to Family Guy, but it's funny enough for me to watch.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 04:14:04 AM »

Offline Big_Matt34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 80
Lol IP whatd i tell you. I'm with you about it being the funniest prime time show, Ed O'Neil is the man and Ty Burr is awesome in his first leading role.

I actually like the whole cast, sometimes even in shows i love there are characters and storylines i dont care for, but atleast so far in this i like anything they've done.

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 09:11:18 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Watching it now. It's awesome.

You know what I love about it?  It does exactly what the Cosby show did but different.

It sits you down and the Cosby show said "Isn't there just something naturally funny about a large urban family? And doesn't it get slightly more funny if the dad just happens to be an obgyn and the mom is a lawyer. And they're black and lovable?"

I mean there's a show you want to watch for a decade.

Same thing and it truly is modern.

Isn't there something just naturally funny about an old as hell guy with a much much younger and insanely gorgeous hispanic wife? And he kinda thinks it's normal.

Isn't there something just naturally funny about two married gay guys with a Chinese baby?

Isn't there something just naturally funny with two gorgeous parents with great looking kids who are related to these people?

But the show doesn't write itself.  It's just a very very good show with very very good actors.

Like the time the fat gay guy grabbed a baseball bat to defend his family because he thought someone was breaking in. It was funny from the very first instant the whole thing started. The actor made it that way. It was his movement and sense of alarm and juxtaposition. 

The time he told his husband he cheated on him with choreography and that this is the worst kind of cheating? Who writes this stuff?

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 09:14:32 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Watching it now. It's awesome.

You know what I love about it?  It does exactly what the Cosby show did but different.

It sits you down and the Cosby show said "Isn't there just something naturally funny about a large urban family? And doesn't it get slightly more funny if the dad just happens to be an obgyn and the mom is a lawyer. And they're black and lovable?"

I mean there's a show you want to watch for a decade.

Same thing and it truly is modern.

Isn't there something just naturally funny about an old as hell guy with a much much younger and insanely gorgeous hispanic wife? And he kinda thinks it's normal.

Isn't there something just naturally funny about two married gay guys with a Chinese baby?

Isn't there something just naturally funny with two gorgeous parents with great looking kids who are related to these people?

But the show doesn't write itself.  It's just a very very good show with very very good actors.

Like the time the fat gay guy grabbed a baseball bat to defend his family because he thought someone was breaking in. It was funny from the very first instant the whole thing started. The actor made it that way. It was his movement and sense of alarm and juxtaposition. 

The time he told his husband he cheated on him with choreography and that this is the worst kind of cheating? Who writes this stuff?

I haven't missed an episode. Man it is hilarious. The epis are so consistently funny that I have a real hard time picking out just one..but I think the one where Jay thinks Gloria kills the dog...or maybe the halloween one where they make fun of Gloria's accent.

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 09:17:03 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
I haven't watched modern family yet, I need to get the first season.. Has there only been one season? As for funniest show on TV I am a big fan of the Office watched it every year and have loved all of the seasons.

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 09:22:29 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
Best comedy on television... hands down.

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 09:25:51 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I haven't watched modern family yet, I need to get the first season.. Has there only been one season? As for funniest show on TV I am a big fan of the Office watched it every year and have loved all of the seasons.
I wouldn't say for one second that the Office jumped the shark or even can see it.  But maybe it went fishing and caught a barracuda that is a snapper.

It just got to the point where you could write the most absurd thing possible and if you just insert the word "Michael" twice and "Dwight" once you have an episode.

Here. Let's try it.

Michael unknowingly sleeps with a mafia bosses wife, upon which he decides to join the Peace Corps however Dwight, uses the Citizen's Neighbor Whistleblower Act of 1938, which he has been saving for just the occasion and calls the Peace Corps to tell them that Michael is a drug using pedophile, because he doesn't want Jim to be his new boss. As a result nothing changes and we just assume everything will be ok because we need an episode next week.  In the mean time Jim and his wife discuss buying a cat.

See? See what I mean?  

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 09:44:32 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
I wouldn't say for one second that the Office jumped the shark or even can see it.  But maybe it went fishing and caught a barracuda that is a snapper.

It just got to the point where you could write the most absurd thing possible and if you just insert the word "Michael" twice and "Dwight" once you have an episode.

Here. Let's try it.

Michael unknowingly sleeps with a mafia bosses wife, upon which he decides to join the Peace Corps however Dwight, uses the Citizen's Neighbor Whistleblower Act of 1938, which he has been saving for just the occasion and calls the Peace Corps to tell them that Michael is a drug using pedophile, because he doesn't want Jim to be his new boss. As a result nothing changes and we just assume everything will be ok because we need an episode next week.  In the mean time Jim and his wife discuss buying a cat.

See? See what I mean? 

That was awesome, but you cheated. At least you screwed up.

You said Jim. He needs to be part of the equation.

I wanna try.

Michael tries to instill a sense of duty and honor in his office because he spent the entire weekend watching the DVD boxset of Band of Brothers, so he tells the office that they're going on a retreat, but he actually stages his own kidnapping by Darryl and some of the guys in the warehouse. Dwight uses the perceived danger to convince the rest of the office that they're under attack from the Chinese, and he proclaims them an independent militia, with lots of Red Dawn (which Dwight won't stop referring to as a documentary) and Lord of the Flies references thrown in, with Kevin acting as "piggy". It comes to be known now that Dwight always has an arsenal of at least three guns in his camping gear at all times. However, Michael's chosen location for the retreat was a snipers' training course for the US Special forces, and everything comes to a head when Creed is shot in the leg by an errant bullet from a sniper. Also, Jim and Pam discuss upgrading their washer/dryer set, and Jim won't stop looking at the (dang) camera.

EDIT: Actually that sounds funny. I wish the Office were still that funny.

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 09:54:32 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I wouldn't say for one second that the Office jumped the shark or even can see it.  But maybe it went fishing and caught a barracuda that is a snapper.

Here. Let's try it.

Michael unknowingly sleeps with a mafia bosses wife, upon which he decides to join the Peace Corps however Dwight, uses the Citizen's Neighbor Whistleblower Act of 1938, which he has been saving for just the occasion and calls the Peace Corps to tell them that Michael is a drug using pedophile, because he doesn't want Jim to be his new boss. As a result nothing changes and we just assume everything will be ok because we need an episode next week.  In the mean time Jim and his wife discuss buying a cat.

See? See what I mean? 

I wanna try.

Michael tries to instill a sense of duty and honor in his office because he spent the entire weekend watching the DVD boxset of Band of Brothers, so he tells the office that they're going on a retreat, but he actually stages his own kidnapping by Darryl and some of the guys in the warehouse, and uses the danger to convince the rest of the office that they're under attack from the Chinese, and he proclaims them an independent militia, with lots of Red Dawn and Lord of the Flies references thrown in, with Kevin acting as "piggy". Actually though Michael's chosen location for the retreat was a snipers' training course for the US Special forces, and everything comes to a head when Creed is shot in the leg by an errant bullet from a sniper. Also, Jim and Pam discuss upgrading their washer/dryer set, and Jim won't stop looking at the (dang) camera.
Perfect Perfect Perfect.  That part in the middle was even more perfect. I'm sitting there thinking "this one is getting away from me" just like every single episode in real life.

You did it better than me. Although you didn't put Dwight in there anywhere.

I'll try again just to try.  

Michael is contacted by the local Tea Party asking him to run for congress. Unfortunately they are calling the wrong Michael Scott. Micheal agrees to run and decides on Dwight as his manager after Jim turns him down with a "no.".  Jim looks at the camera.  Jim says to the camera "If he wins I will move to Canada or somewhere else and if they won't let me live there I will kill myself".   Dwight drafts the entire office into making signs and getting donations. The Tea Party people show up and tell them they've made a mistake, but Dwight is determined to run a write in campaign. Micheal reluctantly agrees.  Dwight approaches Michael about a very important piece of anti-Jim legislation he has been working on. The episode ends with Michael trying to hold his pride in one piece, while Dwight is talking to the guys in the mail room about how important the black vote is.  Jim looks at the camera.

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2011, 10:07:15 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Here. Let's try it.

See? See what I mean? 

I wanna try.

Michael tries to instill a sense of duty and honor in his office because he spent the entire weekend watching the DVD boxset of Band of Brothers, so he tells the office that they're going on a retreat, but he actually stages his own kidnapping by Darryl and some of the guys in the warehouse, and uses the danger to convince the rest of the office that they're under attack from the Chinese, and he proclaims them an independent militia, with lots of Red Dawn and Lord of the Flies references thrown in, with Kevin acting as "piggy". Actually though Michael's chosen location for the retreat was a snipers' training course for the US Special forces, and everything comes to a head when Creed is shot in the leg by an errant bullet from a sniper. Also, Jim and Pam discuss upgrading their washer/dryer set, and Jim won't stop looking at the (dang) camera.
Perfect Perfect Perfect.  That part in the middle was even more perfect. I'm sitting there thinking "this one is getting away from me" just like every single episode in real life.

You did it better than me. Although you didn't put Dwight in there anywhere.

I'll try again just to try. 

Michael is contacted by the local Tea Party asking him to run for congress. Unfortunately they are calling the wrong Michael Scott. Micheal agrees to run and decides on Dwight as his manager after Jim turns him down with a "no.".  Jim looks at the camera.  Jim says to the camera "If he wins I will move to Canada or somewhere else and if they won't let me live there I will kill myself".   Dwight drafts the entire office into making signs and getting donations. The Tea Party people show up and tell them they've made a mistake, but Dwight is determined to run a write in campaign. Micheal reluctantly agrees.  Dwight approaches Michael about a very important piece of anti-Jim legislation he has been working on. The episode ends with Michael trying to hold his pride in one piece, while Dwight is talking to the guys in the mail room about how important the black vote is.  Jim looks at the camera.

Awesome. There has to be at least one botched news interview thrown in there with Couric-esque questions about what Michael reads too.

Personally for me its been downhill since the Dwight/Jim pranks stopped being a major plot line. I don't like this uneasy alliance thing the have going on, though I've only watched one episode this whole year. Thursday nights are good TV.

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2011, 11:06:36 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
I'm guessing you guys don't like the Office??? Also how many seasons have there been of Modern Family.

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2011, 11:09:54 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
I'm guessing you guys don't like the Office??? Also how many seasons have there been of Modern Family.

they're in the 2nd season now..not a big fan of the office anymore. I think they've run too long. I feel the same way about a lot of shows..its kinda like watching Allen Iverson play in turkey..I just ignore it, and when I want to see him I do youtube searches of "Iverson crossover"..for the office I let a stapler settle in jello.

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2011, 11:13:58 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Modern Family is an excellent show. I genuinely look forward to it because it consistently makes me LOL.

Seinfeld is the only other show that makes me laugh more, and has replay value. Episodes I've seen many times and KNOW the story/punchline still crack me up.

The Office I also really look forward to on Thursday nights. I wonder what direction they are going to go when Steve Carrell leaves. I assume he is leaving town with Holly (Amy Ryan), but who replaces him? Dwight or Jim promoted? Or a new character brought in? Either way, it will make or break the show.
CELTICS 2024