Author Topic: Arrested Development  (Read 8549 times)

Re: Arrested Development
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2009, 08:14:41 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
http://the-op.com/media/image2.php?ep=303&i=8855&cat=6200

"Okay, Lindsay, are you forgetting that I was a professional twice over - an analyst and a therapist. The world's first analrapist"

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2009, 12:50:30 PM »

Offline Mean Gerald Green

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 212
  • Cool Runnings
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2009, 02:19:09 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

"Okay, Lindsay, are you forgetting that I was a professional twice over - an analyst and a therapist. The world's first analrapist"

Unbelievable line :D :D :D :D :D

Remembering series quotes is not my thing (not even from greek series) but this one (and 2 from House MD) has been written in my mind.

Loved the first 2 seasons , haven`t seen the 3rd :(

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2009, 03:15:52 PM »

Offline bostonfan23

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 115
  • I just might be a basketball machine. -MS
I know this is about the TV show, but I just gotta say Michael Cera is being a huge loser throughout this whole thing. Just do it, man, everyone else is onboard. You're already typecast for life, get over it.

I bought the three seasons on DVD for this show - well worth it. I've hooked a few friends on the show who have finished watching remaining episodes on Hulu.

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2009, 04:58:37 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
For British eyes only!

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2009, 09:17:46 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Michael Cera is finally on board for the movie!:
http://movies.tvguide.com/Movie-News/Michael-Cera-Signs-1003307.aspx

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2009, 09:33:52 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Thats good news indeed.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2013, 05:15:51 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
4 years! Watched all the others first :D

Watched the first episode. Weird seeing George Michael old. The not having all characters together may be a problem but dang I still love it.

Edit: Reminds me of longer versions of webisodes of other shows.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 05:22:25 AM by bfrombleacher »

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2013, 05:22:04 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Watched all of Season 4. I think they deserve massive props for taking advantage of the Netflix medium... It starts out a little dull, but the season just keeps building and building on itself. Calling back and recontextualizing things you saw in previous episodes from multiple perspectives. It's like a style mash up of Arrested development, pulp fiction and memento. Jokes within jokes on top of jokes. It totally plays to the binge-watching pause and rewind format... which makes it pretty unique.

It is, unfortunately, somewhat tedious and a little exhausting. Like 9 hours of "There was an old lady who swallowed a fly". And I really can't say it's terribly funny. It has moments. It's brilliantly executed. It's very cleverly done... it's just not all that funny. I spend a lot of time watching the show and thinking things to myself like, "Was that Tobias? I think that was Tobias... I bet that will be funny later!" and 4 episodes later saying "Oh!.. I knew it... i thought that was Tobias!"... and not enough time spent actually laughing. It's certainly entertaining though. Just not all that funny.

In a way, this season reminds me of the movie "Primer" ... Some people love that film dearly and analyze it from every angle imaginable. The fans look down on the dullards who don't attempt to understand the interwoven storylines. The film is incredibly complex. It's almost complex to a fault, though... "Primer" is a brilliant film... it deserves credit for what it accomplished... but I can't really say it's a fun film. It's rather exhausting.

TL;DR: Season 4 is complex. It deserves props for the complexity and original approach. It's just not all that funny in execution.

Edit:  The other issue with it is that the show was always an ensemble piece.  Michael Bluth is the classic "straight man" while all the crazy characters buzz around him.  Unfortunately, focusing each episode on a single character (which we know was necessary due to the scheduling conflicts of the actors) causes some of that dynamic to break.  As a whole, the season is definitely entertaining, though.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 05:28:10 AM by LarBrd33 »