Author Topic: Report: Stephon Marbury Will be a Celtic  (Read 53259 times)

Re: Report: Stephon Marbury Will be a Celtic
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2009, 07:04:11 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
Good. I think Marbury will be a decent addition. I don't see him causing trouble on this team because a) KG, PP and Ray will be on him in an instant and b) if he causes problems again no one will take another shot with him.

Haha.  You're applying logic and societal norms to Stephon Marbury.  I'm not sure that we can still do that with him.  The dude is completely insane.

Let's hope this works out.  I feel like we signed a ticking time bomb, but so long as he doesn't go off until after 16 playoff wins, I'll be okay with it.
This what the media wants you to believe? And if he is that people change. You do know Marbury was/is an elite baller. Just as long as he buys into team ball not like Cassell last year.

« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2009, 07:04:40 PM »

Offline illantari

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 112
I'm shocked that I have been able to come to terms with this over the last month or two. I can't stand the guy, but it might be entertaining to have a crazy person on the team.

By all accounts... we already have at least one crazy person on the team.  Difference is he's crazy in the good way.

« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2009, 07:06:03 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
They are now saying it on ESPN so it's pretty much official... At first I was very much against the Celtics signing Marbury (I still am a little bit because I really cannot stand the guy), but we really need to do something or we'll have no chance against the Cavs or Lakers... So I'm about 75% in favor of this at the moment. Let's just hope he can try to act like a normal person.

« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2009, 07:06:51 PM »

Offline gkiteisscal

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 7
I like this alot.  I think he hads an extra dimension to the bench that the Cav's and the Lakers do not have and that is a legitimate scoring option.  My major concern is his commitment to defense and ability to learn the schemes.  

I have said this before and I will say it again: if he is a distraction he is here on small $$$ and can be cut.  He has everything to loose and everything to gain. If he cannot show that he can keep a winning attitude on this team, what does that do to his value as a FA next year?  

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2009, 07:07:53 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Good. I think Marbury will be a decent addition. I don't see him causing trouble on this team because a) KG, PP and Ray will be on him in an instant and b) if he causes problems again no one will take another shot with him.

Haha.  You're applying logic and societal norms to Stephon Marbury.  I'm not sure that we can still do that with him.  The dude is completely insane.

Let's hope this works out.  I feel like we signed a ticking time bomb, but so long as he doesn't go off until after 16 playoff wins, I'll be okay with it.
This what the media wants you to believe? And if he is that people change. You do know Marbury was/still is an elite baller. Just as long as he buys into team ball not like Cassell last year.

No, that's what my own personal observation leads me to believe.

As for people changing, sometimes they do.  And sometimes they stay the same.  Time will tell, although nothing in Starbury's tenure in NY told me that he had turned over a new leaf.  As I said, I think he's a ticking time bomb.  Hopefully he can hold in his explosion until some other team gives him a contract.

As for him being "elite"...  I wouldn't go that far.  He's talented, but I wouldn't put him on an elite level.  Plus, he hasn't played in over a year, and he still needs to learn our offense and defense.

Hopefully he comes in here and makes the most of his fresh start.  I'm not sure that he's humanly capable of that, but we'll see.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2009, 07:08:04 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Wow a long shiver has gone up and down my spine. This is a lightning rod of a pickup. I'm really excited about the possibility of what this will do for the 2nd unit.

Remember Marbury can be cut anytime, and he is going to be on his best behavior and determined to prove the world that he can still kick some tail on the court.

For those asking what we should do if Smith is bought out.... cut Giddens.

« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2009, 07:08:13 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Absolutely love he move. Serious scoring off the bench.

The leadership on the team can handle any vet. Come on, the team has three future HOF's on it. Do you really think chemistry will be a problem. Puuhhleeze..

« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2009, 07:09:55 PM »

Offline illantari

• Jaylen Brown
Wow a long shiver has gone up and down my spine. This is a lightning rod of a pickup. I'm really excited about the possibility of what this will do for the 2nd unit.

Remember Marbury can be cut anytime, and he is going to be on his best behavior and determined to prove the world that he can still kick some tail on the court.

I'm going to be completely honest and put myself out there to be flamed to death for this on this blog but...

At this point I'd rather cut TA than Giddens.

« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2009, 07:11:02 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWxgbyYrT5A

Insane.

He talks about playing with KG at the 5:00 mark.

And he talks about his sister at the 7:45 mark.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 07:16:14 PM by Roy Hobbs »

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2009, 07:13:36 PM »

Offline gkiteisscal

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 7

I'm going to be completely honest and put myself out there to be flamed to death for this on this blog but...

I'm not going to flame you.  I think Giddens can be a good player, better than Tony.  I think Tony has reached his pinnacle as an NBA player.  But let us put this scenario into play.  Game 5 ECF and PP fouls out.  Who would you rather have on the court a guy that is a known liability but knows the schemes, knows his role and is not nervous because he has been there before, or a rookie who does not know the schemes, is unsure of his role and is playing with unbridled adrenaline?  For that reason and that reason alone I take TA.

« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2009, 07:18:30 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
I gotta admit, a killer driving PG off the bench kicking out to House Ray/Paul and Moore for an open jump shot has me a bit giddy. I hope this works out.

« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2009, 07:19:35 PM »

Offline illantari

• Jaylen Brown

I'm not going to flame you.  I think Giddens can be a good player, better than Tony.  I think Tony has reached his pinnacle as an NBA player.  But let us put this scenario into play.  Game 5 ECF and PP fouls out.  Who would you rather have on the court a guy that is a known liability but knows the schemes, knows his role and is not nervous because he has been there before, or a rookie who does not know the schemes, is unsure of his role and is playing with unbridled adrenaline?  For that reason and that reason alone I take TA.

In the theoretical situation I agree with you.  I just, for no good reason what so ever, have a feeling that TA won't be back in time for the playoffs.  Don't really know why.

Also, I am a crazy sentimentalist (is that a real word?) and have a feeling that if we cut a rookie that would end his entire NBA career, and I won't want to do that to anyone.  Giddens needs time and a chance, maybe not this year, but it's not like he's Gerald Green...yet...

I know, I know, I would be a terrible GM.  And a terrible business person.  Good thing I'm not one.

« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2009, 07:26:05 PM »

Offline bostonfan23

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 115
  • I just might be a basketball machine. -MS
I don't think at this point we're going to get Joe Smith.

« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2009, 07:26:50 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas

Sadly, I'd rather keep TA because of his expiring contract next year. The C's will be players in the trade market next summer and through the next deadline as long as Scal, TA and House are on the team. ...but this is a side topic.

Way to go Danny, Doc and company for taking this chance on this fallen star. Rondo/Marbury is a rediculous starter/backup combo.

Re: Stephon Marbury Will be a Celtic
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2009, 07:27:34 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
if only he werent such a jerk.
"Hey, Starbury, the jerk store called and they are running out of you!"

Anyway, I've had months to get used to this idea and I'm still a little numb right now.  Marbury.  Hmmm.  Pray Celtic Nation. Pray.