Author Topic: Right to Swap Question  (Read 1080 times)

Right to Swap Question
« on: January 05, 2017, 12:19:17 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I was listening to Felger & Mazz yesterday (who I don't necessarily trust for their NBA knowledge).  They were saying that if the Celtics traded the 2017 Nets pick they were actually just trading the right to swap with the Nets.  So that lets say the Celts traded the pick to the Cavs, the Cavs could then swap their first rounder, not the Celtics, with the Nets (I'm assuming the Cavs have a first rounder, but use whatever team for the sake of an example).  Basically, they were saying the right to swap would be much more valuable to a good team than a bad team.

Is this accurate?  Wouldn't the receiving team still have to choose between the better of the Celtics pick and the Nets, not their own and the Nets? 

Can the Celts trade just the right to swap and retain their own pick?
Yup

Re: Right to Swap Question
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 12:22:18 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
You cant techinically trade the swap. The swap comes attached to your selection. We would be trading the Boston Celtics '17 first round draft pick which comes with the right to swap said pick with the '17 Brooklyn Nets selection.

If we trade the pick to Cleveland. They would obviously trigger the swap and take the Nets '17 pick. The Nets would be forced to take the Celtics '17 pick and we(Boston) would have no '17 first round pick.

Cleveland would mantain their 1st round pick.

Felger and Maz tend to have no idea what they are talking about when it comes to basketball.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 12:26:04 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
You cant techinically trade the swap. The swap comes attached to your selection. We would be trading the Boston Celtics '17 first round draft pick which comes with the right to swap said pick with the '17 Brooklyn Nets selection.

If we trade the pick to Cleveland. They would obviously trigger the swap and take the Nets '17 pick. The Nets would be forced to take the Celtics '17 pick and we(Boston) would have no '17 first round pick.

Cleveland would mantain their 1st round pick.

Felger and Maz tend to have no idea what they are talking about when it comes to basketball.

Bingo.  Everything stays the same from the Nets' perspective regarding their pick: they get either theirs or ours, whichever is worse.  You can't just change that without them agreeing to it
I'm bitter.

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 03:53:48 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
As usual, Felger and Max are idiots.

We only have the right to swap what we own outright, which is a Boston Celtics #1 with the right to swap that Celtics #1 with the Brooklyn #1.

Anything else would be potentially unfair to the Nets. During the trade, they bargained to have the Celtics swap with them. Allowing that swap to transfer to another team after the fact would potentially leave them in a worse, unforeseen position. I'm

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 04:04:17 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
Thank you for this post. I was confused myself on this.

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2017, 04:26:12 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
As usual, Felger and Max are idiots.

We only have the right to swap what we own outright, which is a Boston Celtics #1 with the right to swap that Celtics #1 with the Brooklyn #1.

Anything else would be potentially unfair to the Nets. During the trade, they bargained to have the Celtics swap with them. Allowing that swap to transfer to another team after the fact would potentially leave them in a worse, unforeseen position. I'm

These were my thoughts, but I didn't know for certain.  I'd always assumed it was the Celtics pick that would be swapped regardless.
Yup

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2017, 11:14:35 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I was listening to Felger & Mazz yesterday (who I don't necessarily trust for their NBA knowledge).  They were saying that if the Celtics traded the 2017 Nets pick they were actually just trading the right to swap with the Nets. 

Yeah they were wrong about that.   If the Celtics trade their '17 first round draft pick, whoever gets it retains the right to swap that pick's position with BK. 

They were basically trying to argue that any team in the top-5 would see no value in the Celtics pick, since they are already in the top of the lottery.  The converse is actually true:  the Cs '17 pick has more value for a top-lottery team since it will get them 2 spots up there, versus 1.

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2017, 11:35:46 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
I was listening to Felger & Mazz yesterday (who I don't necessarily trust for their NBA knowledge).  They were saying that if the Celtics traded the 2017 Nets pick they were actually just trading the right to swap with the Nets. 

Yeah they were wrong about that.   If the Celtics trade their '17 first round draft pick, whoever gets it retains the right to swap that pick's position with BK. 

They were basically trying to argue that any team in the top-5 would see no value in the Celtics pick, since they are already in the top of the lottery.  The converse is actually true:  the Cs '17 pick has more value for a top-lottery team since it will get them 2 spots up there, versus 1.

I only listen sporadically in the car.  I wonder if anyone ever called them out on being wrong about that.
Yup

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2017, 11:39:25 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

I only listen sporadically in the car.  I wonder if anyone ever called them out on being wrong about that.

Nope, no one called them out on that.  Though it might have been because no one understood what they were actually talking about.