C / C-
15 (7.9%)
D+
6 (3.2%)
D / D-
6 (3.2%)
F
9 (4.8%)
Incomplete (I Just Can't Give It A Grade Yet)
15 (7.9%)

Total Members Voted: 187

Author Topic: Poll: Give The Kyrie Irving-To-Boston Trade A Letter Grade  (Read 59009 times)

Re: Poll: Give The Kyrie Irving-To-Boston Trade A Letter Grade
« Reply #135 on: November 10, 2017, 08:21:14 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Grading trades is a media thing IMO. It's unclear what we are evaluating.

Irving's trade is one any GM would have done, it's a no-brainer really.

Eh it was a ballsy trade by Ainge.

Not sure every single GM would pull off this particular trade if they viewed their pick(s) or young player as really valuable. Was a large package.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #136 on: December 09, 2017, 01:56:39 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
I originally had C/C-

Now I'll bump it to B/B-, although a lot depends on how Isaiah does when he comes back.

So far, Kyrie is averaging 24 PPG, 5 APG, 3 RPG on 50% shooting, 39% 3 pt. shooting.

Also playing like a Top-20 defender in the league according to most metrics/stats, if you're that kind of guy.  ;D

Also, Jae Crowder looks LOST in Cleveland. Averaging 8/3 but has struggled in A LOT of the games. Goes to show what coaching/systems can do for a guy. Still rooting for him and hope he does well (except when he plays us, of course  :P )

« Reply #137 on: December 09, 2017, 03:05:23 PM »

Offline MikeB12

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 28
Right now I would give the trade a B.   Given the fact Thomas wouldn't be playing for the Celtics yet, getting Irving saved the Celtics season at least so far.   When Hayward went down I honestly thought the Celtics might not make the playoffs after going 0-2.  I give Brad Stevens an A+ getting the team to stay focused after the Hayward injury.

It is going to be interesting when Hayward comes back...how does he fit in and will it change the team chemistry,

Still have my doubts the Celtics as is are better than the Cavs.   In fact, how certain is it that the Celtics will make it back to the Eastern conference finals this year?  Won't be easy.  Celtics are 6-3 since the 16 game streak; will be interesting to see what their record will be at mid- season and beyond.

MikeB   Celtcis fan for 50 years

« Reply #138 on: December 09, 2017, 03:17:20 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Don't know why almost everyone hates this trade..Thomas going be a FA..Crowder is a sub..Zizic is a project..and brookyln pick may be a flop, or may might not b a top 3 pick..we got a top 15 playerwho may be here for a long time
I gave it an A when it happen..and I still do!!! Irving is showing why he's a top 15 player if not top 8
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #139 on: December 09, 2017, 03:17:33 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I gave the trade a B when it was made and I feel the same way. It was a lot to give up and tough to see Isaiah go but if the front office had an idea that Jae's best season was last year, the Brooklyn pick was likely to not be bottom 5 and they weren't interested in paying IT the money he will be demanding this summer then it was a shrewd move.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #140 on: December 09, 2017, 04:10:52 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
I voted D/D- but now I’d give it a B+. Wasn’t sure how Irving would fit in here (now playing like a top 10 superstar), and the Nets pick was at its peak value

For me it was all about the pick for Kyrie, didn’t care much about the rest of the trade (expiring contract not in long term plans w/ injury concerns + role player at a deep position + late 1st flier)

In hindsight the rumors about the Cavs wanting Tatum or Brown or LAL pick added on because of IT injury concerns...that asking price looks outrageous...can’t help but laugh

« Reply #141 on: December 09, 2017, 04:16:55 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Still F-. ;)

But seriously, Kyrie looks great. His defense and leadership have been better than expected. That said, it’s toughto give the trade a final grade until we see how IT performs and where the BRK pick falls.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #142 on: December 09, 2017, 04:18:25 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
My main issue with the trade when it went down was the Brooklyn pick.  I didn't understand why that had to be included (still don't) but with IT being a free agent I guess that is what it costs.  That pick is looking more like 7-to-11 then 1-5 so on talent alone the trade ids at least a B.

« Reply #143 on: December 09, 2017, 04:21:26 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Still F-. ;)

But seriously, Kyrie looks great. His defense and leadership have been better than expected. That said, it’s toughto give the trade a final grade until we see how IT performs and where the BRK pick falls.

Doesn't it matter that CLE resigns IT? I think that is a huge factor.

« Reply #144 on: December 09, 2017, 04:26:58 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Still F-. ;)

It is, but say Isaiah leads them to a Finals win and he leaves. Then CLE would have won the trade.

« Reply #145 on: December 09, 2017, 04:31:36 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Still F-. ;)

And also if Kyrie bolts in 2019.

« Reply #146 on: December 09, 2017, 04:40:45 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Still F-. ;)

And also if Kyrie bolts in 2019.

This too^

« Reply #147 on: December 09, 2017, 05:25:13 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141
Still F-. ;)

It is, but say Isaiah leads them to a Finals win and he leaves. Then CLE would have won the trade.

So even if we were to go on and win a championship or two with Kyrie, Cleveland won the trade if they win this year?

« Reply #148 on: December 09, 2017, 05:31:24 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Still F-. ;)

So even if we were to go on and win a championship or two with Kyrie, Cleveland won the trade if they win this year?

Win-win.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #149 on: December 09, 2017, 06:48:38 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Still F-. ;)

If the Cavs win the Finals, IT won’t have “led them” to the win. He might be a contributor, but LBJ is the best player on that team, even with a full-strength Isaiah, and it isn’t close.

You have to compare what the players do and how the pick lands. Right now, Boston is ahead (given that IT hasn’t played yet and JC’s replacements are significantly outplaying him, it’s pretty clear). We’ll see what happens. If KI keeps doing what he’s doing or improves a bit and IT is about 75% of last years version, and the Nets pick is high lottery, I call the trade for Boston whether Cleveland wins or not. Especially if KI’s performance goes up another notch next year and he’s on the books for 10 million less than we’d have had to pay IT...