Author Topic: The media love for the celtics... not  (Read 2965 times)

The media love for the celtics... not
« on: December 01, 2020, 12:49:38 AM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
The last week has been very interesting.. I have read various of bls..
Suddenly we are willing to trade smart
We are willing to trade walker for Conley and we should give up 2 firsts too!!!!
The trade exception we got for Hayward is unfair
Ainge is the worst manager because he didn't trade for turner a guy that the Pacers paid 18m and have as a second option
We should resign Thomas who has not played competitive basketball for 3 years
I like all that stuff..  danny get 1 2 good veterans with the exception.. let them talk

Re: The media love for the celtics... not
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2020, 02:43:49 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
You read that kind of stuff here from Boston fans.... That bothers me more

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2020, 06:39:50 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
I completely understand that media/fans bash Ainge for not taking that Indiana deal.

We don't know whether Hayward would have chosen Indiana or a bigger deal with Charlotte (I think he was keen on Indiana). But not accepting the offer (Turner/McDermott and possibly a 1st rounder) from Boston's side is bewildering at first sight. We now have a big TPE, which is better than nothing, but it's far from a guarantee that we will get someone better using that TPE than Myles Turner.

I would have taken that deal, but I do see the arguments against it. Time will tell if Ainge is the smartest one of all. It's a gamble which hopefully pays off. It's also possible that Charlotte unexpectedly came over the top with a big offer for Hayward, while Ainge hoped Hayward would resign with the Celtics. Maybe in hindsight Ainge has regrets for not accepting Indiana's offer? Again, we don't know.

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2020, 06:57:46 AM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
I completely understand that media/fans bash Ainge for not taking that Indiana deal.

We don't know whether Hayward would have chosen Indiana or a bigger deal with Charlotte (I think he was keen on Indiana). But not accepting the offer (Turner/McDermott and possibly a 1st rounder) from Boston's side is bewildering at first sight. We now have a big TPE, which is better than nothing, but it's far from a guarantee that we will get someone better using that TPE than Myles Turner.

I would have taken that deal, but I do see the arguments against it. Time will tell if Ainge is the smartest one of all. It's a gamble which hopefully pays off. It's also possible that Charlotte unexpectedly came over the top with a big offer for Hayward, while Ainge hoped Hayward would resign with the Celtics. Maybe in hindsight Ainge has regrets for not accepting Indiana's offer? Again, we don't know.

I think it just comes down to Danny and the FO not liking Turner all that much. He's become a bit overrated, especially on this forum, and has a pretty large contract. I know Myles Turner has an offensive game, but this team doesn't need that with our offensive ability. I think that makes Thompson a better fit.

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2020, 09:36:14 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
If Turner is so good, why aren't contenders lining up to get him? Why didn't Golden State trade the 2nd overall pick James Wiseman with salary for him? Why didn't the Rockets target him instead of Christian Wood? Why didn't the Clippers trade for him instead of targeting Ibaka with the MLE? Why don't the Blazers trade for him? Why wouldn't the Bucks try to flip Lopez and Divencenzo for him? Why wouldn't the Heat flip Olynyk and Dunn (or Herro, or Robinson) for him? Why wouldn't the Raptors make a trade for him to replace the void left by Ibaka and Gasol?

I was almost talking myself into Turner before this news hit, but now that the trade hasn't happened, I've been asking, "If Turner is so good, why aren't elite teams going after him?"

Either the Pacers have made him unavailable or many teams don't think he's that good. Turner has been one of the most obviously available players in the league for at least a year. The Pacers have obviously had a mismatched lineup for several years now and Sabonis is now an all-star. It seems unlikely they wouldn't be trying to move him for something.

That leaves the possibility that contending teams in the NBA just don't think he's that good. They don't look at him and say, "He's a good player but he doesn't fit well on that roster. If we got him, his game would blossom." They probably see him as a decent role player, but whose salary and price tag are not worth a big trade for.  They look at him and think, "We can replace most of what he offers for a lot less money."

I think the Pacers will feel the need to move him this off-season for a guard or wing. Some middling team (ironically, maybe the Hornets) will make a move for him dreaming about his stretch/rim protection, but he will disappoint. They'll trade some some salary with a low-level rotation wing/guard and a "media" first round pick (the kind that the Pacers can report is a first round pick, but with protections that will make sure it never is a first rounder). Everyone will say, "See. See! Turner was worth what the Pacers were wanting from Ainge."

Meanwhile, Tristan Thompson will be contributing to actual playoff wins for the Cs and Ainge will get another rotation player with the trade exception.

Here are my ideas:
Hornets for Rozier and a protected 1st
Wizards for Bryant, Troy Brown Jr., and a protected 1st
Knicks for Randle, Frankie, and a protected 1st
Kings for Barnes and a protected 1st
Spurs for DeRozan and a protected 1st

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2020, 09:47:09 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
If Turner is so good, why aren't contenders lining up to get him? Why didn't Golden State trade the 2nd overall pick James Wiseman with salary for him? Why didn't the Rockets target him instead of Christian Wood? Why didn't the Clippers trade for him instead of targeting Ibaka with the MLE? Why don't the Blazers trade for him? Why wouldn't the Bucks try to flip Lopez and Divencenzo for him? Why wouldn't the Heat flip Olynyk and Dunn (or Herro, or Robinson) for him? Why wouldn't the Raptors make a trade for him to replace the void left by Ibaka and Gasol?

I was almost talking myself into Turner before this news hit, but now that the trade hasn't happened, I've been asking, "If Turner is so good, why aren't elite teams going after him?"

Either the Pacers have made him unavailable or many teams don't think he's that good. Turner has been one of the most obviously available players in the league for at least a year. The Pacers have obviously had a mismatched lineup for several years now and Sabonis is now an all-star. It seems unlikely they wouldn't be trying to move him for something.

That leaves the possibility that contending teams in the NBA just don't think he's that good. They don't look at him and say, "He's a good player but he doesn't fit well on that roster. If we got him, his game would blossom." They probably see him as a decent role player, but whose salary and price tag are not worth a big trade for.  They look at him and think, "We can replace most of what he offers for a lot less money."

I think the Pacers will feel the need to move him this off-season for a guard or wing. Some middling team (ironically, maybe the Hornets) will make a move for him dreaming about his stretch/rim protection, but he will disappoint. They'll trade some some salary with a low-level rotation wing/guard and a "media" first round pick (the kind that the Pacers can report is a first round pick, but with protections that will make sure it never is a first rounder). Everyone will say, "See. See! Turner was worth what the Pacers were wanting from Ainge."

Meanwhile, Tristan Thompson will be contributing to actual playoff wins for the Cs and Ainge will get another rotation player with the trade exception.

Here are my ideas:
because he has a pretty good sized contract which makes acquiring him difficult both for the team acquiring him and the Pacers.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2020, 09:52:58 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I understand the frustration of not making an actual deal with players for Hayward. After all, there is no guarantee the Celtics will use the TPE from the Hayward trade. Please correct me if am wrong, but Danny could have traded for Turner and McDermott, and also signed Thompson and Teague. For some reason, the TPE kind of feels like the idea of having multiple first round picks and the hope that comes with it that you can package them together to move up in the draft. However, then you realize that no one wants to trade with you on draft night, and your grand idea/plans blow up in your face. Since the Celtics only have their own first round picks now, will those be enough to entice a team to give up a player using the TPE? Of will Danny now have to make two separate trades with one being the TPE and pick(s) and the other trade to the same team, but an overpay of our end?

Having said that, I do really like the signings of Thompson and Teague. The TPE could be valuable, but may be very difficult to take advantage of. I also do like the draft selections of Nesmith and Pritchard. We can’t forget, Danny did have the biggest offseason signing too, with the extension of Tatum. That simply can’t be overlooked.

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2020, 09:55:33 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas

Here are my ideas:
because he has a pretty good sized contract which makes acquiring him difficult both for the team acquiring him and the Pacers.

18 million is actually a pretty easy contract to acquire in the modern NBA. It's not too hard to get to 14-15 million in aggregate salaries. The Rockets are one of the most inflexible cap situations in the NBA, but they did that with ease to acquire Christian Wood.

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2020, 12:18:49 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
 The Discourse (tm) around the Celts has been especially dumb this off-season.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2020, 01:02:08 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I understand the frustration of not making an actual deal with players for Hayward. After all, there is no guarantee the Celtics will use the TPE from the Hayward trade. Please correct me if am wrong, but Danny could have traded for Turner and McDermott, and also signed Thompson and Teague. For some reason, the TPE kind of feels like the idea of having multiple first round picks and the hope that comes with it that you can package them together to move up in the draft. However, then you realize that no one wants to trade with you on draft night, and your grand idea/plans blow up in your face. Since the Celtics only have their own first round picks now, will those be enough to entice a team to give up a player using the TPE? Of will Danny now have to make two separate trades with one being the TPE and pick(s) and the other trade to the same team, but an overpay of our end?

Having said that, I do really like the signings of Thompson and Teague. The TPE could be valuable, but may be very difficult to take advantage of. I also do like the draft selections of Nesmith and Pritchard. We can’t forget, Danny did have the biggest offseason signing too, with the extension of Tatum. That simply can’t be overlooked.
Acquiring Turner and McDermott puts us over the luxury task which is very bad and does not allow us to sign Thompson 
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2020, 01:23:49 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Here are my ideas:

18 million is actually a pretty easy contract to acquire in the modern NBA. It's not too hard to get to 14-15 million in aggregate salaries. The Rockets are one of the most inflexible cap situations in the NBA, but they did that with ease to acquire Christian Wood.
Wood was a free agent who was leaving Detroit. Not the same thing as acquiring a player under contract

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2020, 01:29:35 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas

Here are my ideas:

Wood was a free agent who was leaving Detroit. Not the same thing as acquiring a player under contract

When it is a sign-and-trade it very much is the same the thing. We could argue the value of each trade package, but you can't argue the aggregate salary amounts. Houston was able to put together the necessary salaries to get Wood, even though their cap is extremely stressed. It really isn't that hard to trade for an 18 million dollar contract in the  modern NBA.

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2020, 02:19:44 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
  Boston is not a smart hoop fan base. The die hards know hoop. But the majority of Boston fans just want a “ relevant “ team. It’s why they’re always short sighted and also why they view Smart as more valuable than Jaylen Brown.Boston generally does not know basketball. Before covid our at a bar during a playoff game they’ll have some other games of of different sports or even another nba game but not the Celtics one. Nobody even asks to change a screen to Celtics. Terrible hoop knowledge place but with some of the greatest die hard fans who DO care and pay attention.

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2020, 03:14:35 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Here are my ideas:

When it is a sign-and-trade it very much is the same the thing. We could argue the value of each trade package, but you can't argue the aggregate salary amounts. Houston was able to put together the necessary salaries to get Wood, even though their cap is extremely stressed. It really isn't that hard to trade for an 18 million dollar contract in the  modern NBA.
It isn't though.  Sign and trades are no where near the same thing.  The team doing the sign and trade does it mostly for good will and a couple 2nd round picks (very rare under new rules to get anything more than that).  They have no real control over the player or the value they get back because the player can just go somewhere else, like Hayward did.  In the case of a guy under contract, the trading team still will have the player, so they need to get back actual value if it is someone they aren't trying to dump off, and Indiana is not trying to just dump Turner off.  They want value for him making his trade far more difficult given his contract size. 

The Rockets and Pistons were able to fit the Wood sign and trade into existing trades the teams already had (i.e. Detroit acquiring Ariza and Stewart), but that is also rare.

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2020, 03:24:02 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas

Here are my ideas:

It isn't though.  Sign and trades are no where near the same thing.  The team doing the sign and trade does it mostly for good will and a couple 2nd round picks (very rare under new rules to get anything more than that).  They have no real control over the player or the value they get back because the player can just go somewhere else, like Hayward did.  In the case of a guy under contract, the trading team still will have the player, so they need to get back actual value if it is someone they aren't trying to dump off, and Indiana is not trying to just dump Turner off.  They want value for him making his trade far more difficult given his contract size. 

The Rockets and Pistons were able to fit the Wood sign and trade into existing trades the teams already had (i.e. Detroit acquiring Ariza and Stewart), but that is also rare.

They aren't the exact same thing. Ok. My only point was that it is relatively easy to aggregate salaries to make a trade for a 18 million dollar contract.

Turner's contract isn't an issue if he really is as good of a player as the Pacers think. 18m is nothing in the modern NBA. If he really was the elite defensive anchor and floor spacer that it seems like, then teams could pretty easily figure out how to combine salaries to get him.

That's my point. I'm really not trying to debate the merits of sign-and-trades here. But as is so often the case, we won't be able to find some level of agreement.