Author Topic: Bringing in Harden, keeping Brown and Smart  (Read 7348 times)

Re: Bringing in Harden, keeping Brown and Smart
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2020, 12:45:49 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Bit off-topic, but I've got to admit it's hilarious seeing all the debates about whether people (C's fans) want Harden or not. Seems very split and each side has very strong feelings about it  :laugh:
It’s another case of Cs fans over valuing their current team. Harden is a legitimate top 3 player. It’s insane that people would say no to adding him to the Cs in order to see “organic” growth or whatever that means. That’s not how the NBA works. NBA moves fast and super stars are always on the move, especially in this era of player empowerment. You need to cash in when you have the opportunity. It’s very unlikely that Tatum and Brown remain on the Cs after their first extension.

For me it is the worry that he may cause Tatum to want to move on like he did with Paul and Westbrook.   

Is it fair?   Probably not.   But it is still my main reason.
I mean, is it really his fault the Rockets traded for a declining player who can’t shoot and needs the ball in hands to be effective Westbrook? The Rockets legit came a CP3 hamstring injury away from beating the loaded GS team. Do I think Harden has a big personality? Sure, he’s not unlike many of the other diva superstars.   But he’s an MVP caliber player and he’s be by far the best player on this team.

« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2020, 12:50:16 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Bit off-topic, but I've got to admit it's hilarious seeing all the debates about whether people (C's fans) want Harden or not. Seems very split and each side has very strong feelings about it  :laugh:
It’s another case of Cs fans over valuing their current team. Harden is a legitimate top 3 player. It’s insane that people would say no to adding him to the Cs in order to see “organic” growth or whatever that means. That’s not how the NBA works. NBA moves fast and super stars are always on the move, especially in this era of player empowerment. You need to cash in when you have the opportunity. It’s very unlikely that Tatum and Brown remain on the Cs after their first extension.
TP!!
Very on point ! If you go to any other teams blog and search for other teams fans opinion fo the Celtics fans they all say the same thing: delusional - even more delusional than Bill Simmons in the way they value their players
Like you would not see it so consistently among neutral fans targeted against other team fans that are hated like the lakers or now golden state warriors

We made the final 4 where a 22 yr old and a 23 yr old were our best players. They both played big when it counted (again), while Harden has a long history of disappearing acts in crucial playoff moments. Did I miss something?

Before last year when Tatum and Brown were mostly just young guys with potential and were posting 14-15 ppg, I could see the criticism. But it sometimes works out. They are going to be franchise level players. It isn't just optimism any more.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 12:55:53 PM by td450 »

« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2020, 01:03:24 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Harden is a top 5 player in the league.  He would instantly be Boston's best player for at least the next couple of seasons.  Of course Ainge is interested.  Heck, he tried to get Harden instead of Jeff Green years ago.  The only question is, does Ainge want to pay the price it will take for Houston to move Harden to Boston.  That is the only thing yet to be decided.  That I have no idea on, but Ainge is absolutely interested in Harden because Ainge is interested in every great player.

You are ignoring the disaster Kyrie Irving brought into our locker room, and how it demoralized Brad Stevens and the other players.  That all went down after any prior interest in Harden from Ainge. I seriously doubt he would bring that type player into our system again.  Plus his style of play is the antithesis of our coaching system. I would be shocked if Harden came to Boston. Shocked.

I think Ainge is realizing this team's best hope is to construct a team that will compete decently the next couple of years, and really reach its peak 3-5 years from now. Thus the reported interest in trading into a top 3 pick.
Harden is not Irving.  First, Irving is no where near as good.  Second, Irving has been a locker-room problem since he entered the league, Harden has not. 

James Harden is a top 5 player in the league.  He is one of the 3 greatest pure scorers in the history of the sport (behind only Wilt and Jordan).  His last 3 seasons, when accounting for pace, are very likely the greatest 3-year scoring span in league history.  He is an excellent passer as well.  James Harden is a legitimately great player and Ainge would absolutely bring him in if the price was right.

Ask yourself this question. Its the NBA finals and we have Tatum and Harden. The Lakers have LeBron and AD. How does that work out? Harden has never met the moment.

I'd rather go into that with Jaylen and a boatload of other assets any day of the week.
at least we'd be in the Finals.  The current team has basically no shot of getting there.  You add Harden, and then it is at least realistically possible. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2020, 01:10:55 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Harden is a top 5 player in the league.  He would instantly be Boston's best player for at least the next couple of seasons.  Of course Ainge is interested.  Heck, he tried to get Harden instead of Jeff Green years ago.  The only question is, does Ainge want to pay the price it will take for Houston to move Harden to Boston.  That is the only thing yet to be decided.  That I have no idea on, but Ainge is absolutely interested in Harden because Ainge is interested in every great player.

You are ignoring the disaster Kyrie Irving brought into our locker room, and how it demoralized Brad Stevens and the other players.  That all went down after any prior interest in Harden from Ainge. I seriously doubt he would bring that type player into our system again.  Plus his style of play is the antithesis of our coaching system. I would be shocked if Harden came to Boston. Shocked.

I think Ainge is realizing this team's best hope is to construct a team that will compete decently the next couple of years, and really reach its peak 3-5 years from now. Thus the reported interest in trading into a top 3 pick.
Harden is not Irving.  First, Irving is no where near as good.  Second, Irving has been a locker-room problem since he entered the league, Harden has not. 

James Harden is a top 5 player in the league.  He is one of the 3 greatest pure scorers in the history of the sport (behind only Wilt and Jordan).  His last 3 seasons, when accounting for pace, are very likely the greatest 3-year scoring span in league history.  He is an excellent passer as well.  James Harden is a legitimately great player and Ainge would absolutely bring him in if the price was right.

Ask yourself this question. Its the NBA finals and we have Tatum and Harden. The Lakers have LeBron and AD. How does that work out? Harden has never met the moment.

I'd rather go into that with Jaylen and a boatload of other assets any day of the week.
at least we'd be in the Finals.  The current team has basically no shot of getting there.  You add Harden, and then it is at least realistically possible.

This team (depending on what happens to Hayward) still has the chance to be in the Finals.  The Bucks still have a coach that doesn't adjust well in the playoffs.  The Nets are a big questions mark until we see Durant back on the floor.   The 76ers still haven't fix their issue. 

« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2020, 01:12:34 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
James Harden is fools gold. He'll turn Tatum and Brown into role players while he pounds the ball into dust and takes awful shots, and then he'll run them out of town for getting in his way, just like he did with CP3 and probably Westbrook. No thanks.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2020, 02:36:22 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104

This team (depending on what happens to Hayward) still has the chance to be in the Finals.  The Bucks still have a coach that doesn't adjust well in the playoffs.  The Nets are a big questions mark until we see Durant back on the floor.   The 76ers still haven't fix their issue.

We also have a coach who fails to adjust.

« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2020, 03:11:50 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141

Agree Celtics have no shot at getting to the next level with the current team.

Doubt Harden would do it. What  will improve the team is a "rim protector" whom the coach will play for 25 mins.
That may be tougher to do than trading for Harden.

« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2020, 03:12:30 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

About a 0.01% chance.  Boston is not a Finals team as currently constructed.  Might be as likely to lose in the first round as even make the ECF next year.  Milwaukee, Brooklyn, and Miami are all better (assuming Durant is healthy anyway).  Philadelphia is probably better as well. 

All the problems Boston had this year are still present.  No big men, lots of injury concerns, and 2 young guys that aren't quite ready to be the main cogs of a realistic title contender.  Boston is not a realistic contender, with Harden it absolutely would be.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2020, 03:18:36 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
I think if Houston would do harden for kemba plus 7 picks and a couple swaps we should probably make the trade... it helps if you have a direction for the next 3-4 years

The Celtics may have the most weapons of any team to get Harden.  The question is whether they want to use those weapons. It may depend on whether Harden wants to come to Boston. They hesitated on Davis because they knew his agent was steering him to the LAL.

« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2020, 03:27:21 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
How many times has Harden led his team to the Finals?.....cough...cough....

It is sure not from not being around talented players so scratch that as an excuse....

From what I am hearing on other sites, he wants to play with players who have been there and won...Nets are his top team of choice

I would take a 21 year old Tatum over a 31 year old Harden every day of the week as well. Not that Tatum's name is being jacked around but I think it is foolish to think Harden could get us to the promised land over a yearly improving Tatum as the top dog.

« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2020, 05:26:55 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I really do find it peculiar how much talent analysis is driven by narrative. Harden is a much better playoff performer than Damian Lillard, yet Harden is the one who doesn't show up in big games, and Lillard is the one who is clutch in spite of his teammates.

Harden just had his best playoff run ever. 30/8/6 with elite efficiency (56% EFG and 64% TS%), less than 4 TOs per game, good defence (a DBPM of 1.9!) and was playing winning basketball. It was Westbrook, unsurprisingly, who tanked them.

We'd all be drooling if we had anyone capable of playing basketball that well
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2020, 05:28:07 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
I really do find it peculiar how much talent analysis is driven by narrative. Harden is a much better playoff performer than Damian Lillard, yet Harden is the one who doesn't show up in big games, and Lillard is the one who is clutch in spite of his teammates.

Harden just had his best playoff run ever. 30/8/6 with elite efficiency (56% EFG and 64% TS%), less than 4 TOs per game, good defence (a DBPM of 1.9!) and was playing winning basketball. It was Westbrook, unsurprisingly, who tanked them.

Don't you dare speak ill of one of my biggest binkies, Dame!

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2020, 05:29:32 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Don't you dare speak ill of one of my biggest binkies, Dame!
I actually really like Dame, and do buy into the point that he's let down by his team. I think opposition coaches are pretty happy to swarm Dame with 2 or 3 guys and let Melo try and beat them.

I just think Harden cops it more than he deserves, and is a great player.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2020, 03:47:55 PM »

Offline Boise To Boston

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 15
https://tradenba.com/trades/2fwvbc2tf

Kemba, Young guns (Edwards, Romeo, Grant) and a bunch of 1’s for Harden. Call it in Danny!