Author Topic: Bringing in Harden, keeping Brown and Smart  (Read 7349 times)

Re: Bringing in Harden, keeping Brown and Smart
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2020, 11:06:56 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
I would be absolutely floored if Ainge wanted Harden (in a bad way).
I would fully expect him to want to get in on the deal and use the desperation of other teams. That's Ainge's deal making style.

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2020, 11:07:37 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
I would be absolutely floored if Ainge wanted Harden (in a bad way).
I would fully expect him to want to get in on the deal and use the desperation of other teams. That's Ainge's deal making style.

Agreed.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2020, 11:42:57 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Harden is a top 5 player in the league.  He would instantly be Boston's best player for at least the next couple of seasons.  Of course Ainge is interested.  Heck, he tried to get Harden instead of Jeff Green years ago.  The only question is, does Ainge want to pay the price it will take for Houston to move Harden to Boston.  That is the only thing yet to be decided.  That I have no idea on, but Ainge is absolutely interested in Harden because Ainge is interested in every great player.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2020, 11:48:19 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Harden is a top 5 player in the league.  He would instantly be Boston's best player for at least the next couple of seasons.  Of course Ainge is interested.  Heck, he tried to get Harden instead of Jeff Green years ago.  The only question is, does Ainge want to pay the price it will take for Houston to move Harden to Boston.  That is the only thing yet to be decided.  That I have no idea on, but Ainge is absolutely interested in Harden because Ainge is interested in every great player.

You are ignoring the disaster Kyrie Irving brought into our locker room, and how it demoralized Brad Stevens and the other players.  That all went down after any prior interest in Harden from Ainge. I seriously doubt he would bring that type player into our system again.  Plus his style of play is the antithesis of our coaching system. I would be shocked if Harden came to Boston. Shocked.

I think Ainge is realizing this team's best hope is to construct a team that will compete decently the next couple of years, and really reach its peak 3-5 years from now. Thus the reported interest in trading into a top 3 pick.

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2020, 11:54:19 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
If it takes Brown to acquire Harden, I don’t see why C’s don’t do it. MVP-caliber player for a guy who will likely hit his ceiling as an all star? Count me in.

Great players know how to play with other great players. I’m 100% sure Tatum will look great playing alongside Harden.

That said? This trade isn’t happening lol
- LilRip

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2020, 11:58:46 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

You are ignoring the disaster Kyrie Irving brought into our locker room, and how it demoralized Brad Stevens and the other players.  That all went down after any prior interest in Harden from Ainge. I seriously doubt he would bring that type player into our system again.  Plus his style of play is the antithesis of our coaching system. I would be shocked if Harden came to Boston. Shocked.

I think Ainge is realizing this team's best hope is to construct a team that will compete decently the next couple of years, and really reach its peak 3-5 years from now. Thus the reported interest in trading into a top 3 pick.
Harden is not Irving.  First, Irving is no where near as good.  Second, Irving has been a locker-room problem since he entered the league, Harden has not. 

James Harden is a top 5 player in the league.  He is one of the 3 greatest pure scorers in the history of the sport (behind only Wilt and Jordan).  His last 3 seasons, when accounting for pace, are very likely the greatest 3-year scoring span in league history.  He is an excellent passer as well.  James Harden is a legitimately great player and Ainge would absolutely bring him in if the price was right.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2020, 12:04:06 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
I think if Houston would do harden for kemba plus 7 picks and a couple swaps we should probably make the trade... it helps if you have a direction for the next 3-4 years

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2020, 12:18:02 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
I just read an article that people are leaving Houston or want out over the owners Trump support, interesting....

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2020, 12:21:42 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
If we want to make sure that Tatum does not resign with us, lets bring in Harden and destroy this team...We would go from fun to watch to Root Canal every game....Don't do it Danny

I am scared though...this reaks of something Danny might try and do.

No more needing Tatum or Brown to take game winning shots cause Harden wont give up the ball....Ugh...I get sick thinking of this situation.

Pretty sure the boys have spoken very highly of Harden in the past.

Wait til they play with him and become 2nd and 3rd wheels....Tatum's growth would be severely hampered with Harden as our top Dog...If I were Tatum, I would not want that for my next 5 years

Assuming that Harden doesnt modify his game

Westbrook took 23 shots a game last season in Houston playing with Harden, Tatum took 19 a game here. If anything Tatums efficiency should go up.

And I would expect that HArden would be more a more willing passer in Boston, its the system here. He does play a system, I would expect his points to go down but his assists to go up. He shot under 20 shots a game his entire career up to the last 2 seasons.

Maybe 25ppg and 12 apg. (remember in 2016-2017 he put up 29ppg and 11 apg. He led the league in assists, led the league in assists per game and was second in Assist%)

Last season Kemba and Hayward combined for 29.4 shots per game
Last season House, Tucker and Harden shot 36.8 shots per game.

Not a big difference.
3 less shots a game for Harden (which is his career average) and a couple less shots from Marcus Smart and there is no difference in shots for Brown or Tatum

You bring up good points with the shots but I wonder about the end of the games still when you need to ride your superstar to the finish. I think Harden will want the majority of the shots with less than 5 minutes to go. Rockets games were never very much fun to watch either. I do not want to see us become an isolation team.

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2020, 12:22:20 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Bit off-topic, but I've got to admit it's hilarious seeing all the debates about whether people (C's fans) want Harden or not. Seems very split and each side has very strong feelings about it  :laugh:
It’s another case of Cs fans over valuing their current team. Harden is a legitimate top 3 player. It’s insane that people would say no to adding him to the Cs in order to see “organic” growth or whatever that means. That’s not how the NBA works. NBA moves fast and super stars are always on the move, especially in this era of player empowerment. You need to cash in when you have the opportunity. It’s very unlikely that Tatum and Brown remain on the Cs after their first extension. 

« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2020, 12:24:31 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

Harden is not Irving.  First, Irving is no where near as good.  Second, Irving has been a locker-room problem since he entered the league, Harden has not. 

James Harden is a top 5 player in the league.  He is one of the 3 greatest pure scorers in the history of the sport (behind only Wilt and Jordan).  His last 3 seasons, when accounting for pace, are very likely the greatest 3-year scoring span in league history.  He is an excellent passer as well.  James Harden is a legitimately great player and Ainge would absolutely bring him in if the price was right.

Ask yourself this question. Its the NBA finals and we have Tatum and Harden. The Lakers have LeBron and AD. How does that work out? Harden has never met the moment.

I'd rather go into that with Jaylen and a boatload of other assets any day of the week.

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2020, 12:27:08 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Bit off-topic, but I've got to admit it's hilarious seeing all the debates about whether people (C's fans) want Harden or not. Seems very split and each side has very strong feelings about it  :laugh:
It’s another case of Cs fans over valuing their current team. Harden is a legitimate top 3 player. It’s insane that people would say no to adding him to the Cs in order to see “organic” growth or whatever that means. That’s not how the NBA works. NBA moves fast and super stars are always on the move, especially in this era of player empowerment. You need to cash in when you have the opportunity. It’s very unlikely that Tatum and Brown remain on the Cs after their first extension.

For me it is the worry that he may cause Tatum to want to move on like he did with Paul and Westbrook.   

Is it fair?   Probably not.   But it is still my main reason.

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2020, 12:29:28 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
TP!!
Very on point ! If you go to any other teams blog and search for other teams fans opinion fo the Celtics fans they all say the same thing: delusional - even more delusional than Bill Simmons in the way they value their players
Like you would not see it so consistently among neutral fans targeted against other team fans that are hated like the lakers or now golden state warriors

« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2020, 12:30:48 PM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52

Ask yourself this question. Its the NBA finals and we have Tatum and Harden. The Lakers have LeBron and AD. How does that work out? Harden has never met the moment.

I'd rather go into that with Jaylen and a boatload of other assets any day of the week.

Let me add to that.
Lebron has Schroeder, Davis, Pope, and Kuzma

Celtics have
Tatum, Harden, Brown, Smart, Timelord, Theis
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2020, 12:41:37 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar

Your greatest pure scorers list is in need of editorial oversight.

Harden's good though. He's very good.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.