Author Topic: With the Effort We Showed Last Night I Am Feeling Optimistic  (Read 4109 times)

Re: With the Effort We Showed Last Night I Am Feeling Optimistic
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2013, 01:06:47 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
Idk why this makes anyone optimistic...it just proves they give no effort against poor teams and magically give effort against better competition but come up short

It makes me believe we have the ability to compete and beat anyone when shots fall. If we are peaking as we go into the playoffs and shots are falling then I like our chances.

Here's the problem, though, with being a jump-shooting team: even if things get turned around—Jet finds his stroke, Pierce does too, and Bass and everyone else who's struggling—what are the odds that they're going to keep shooting well (enough) through four playoff rounds, particularly when they'll have home-court advantage for none of them? Not even OKC was able to do that last season.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2013, 01:12:19 PM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
I am not optomistic. This team is basically dead in the water that cannot execute when the chips are on the table. That is when they put out an effort like last night. The team does not bother to show up half the time and gives up to easily when they get busted by younger more athletic temas. So I think it is a lack of talent at this point and I will feel this way until they find wins out there.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2013, 01:35:16 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Idk why this makes anyone optimistic...it just proves they give no effort against poor teams and magically give effort against better competition but come up short

It makes me believe we have the ability to compete and beat anyone when shots fall. If we are peaking as we go into the playoffs and shots are falling then I like our chances.

Here's the problem, though, with being a jump-shooting team: even if things get turned around—Jet finds his stroke, Pierce does too, and Bass and everyone else who's struggling—what are the odds that they're going to keep shooting well (enough) through four playoff rounds, particularly when they'll have home-court advantage for none of them? Not even OKC was able to do that last season.

Dallas was the year before and our defense is capable of being top notch like last night. This is the story for us the last three years before this season - play inconsistent in the regular season and then flip the switch in the playoffs.

Until we don't flip a switch in the playoffs I will be optimistic bc games like last night show me our potential. That's a blowout last night if we just make our open shots.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2013, 01:36:00 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I definitely was happy with the effort the team gave last night, and it was a game the C's could have won if a few plays here or there went differently.

I am not too optimistic we'll see that effort on a nightly basis going forward.  The team has way too much history that suggests otherwise.

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2013, 01:44:12 PM »

Offline Interceptor

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 224
As far as last night's game, I don't know how anyone can be happy with an effort that included 41% overall shooting, 17% 3pt shooting, and turnovers at the worst time.
I am happy with it because those things you mentioned don't reflect reflect a lack of effort. They got open shots, they just didn't make them. They played defense. They rebounded. They made mistakes, but mistakes happen.

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2013, 02:09:31 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
As far as last night's game, I don't know how anyone can be happy with an effort that included 41% overall shooting, 17% 3pt shooting, and turnovers at the worst time.
I am happy with it because those things you mentioned don't reflect reflect a lack of effort. They got open shots, they just didn't make them. They played defense. They rebounded. They made mistakes, but mistakes happen.

Yeah, missed shots are not a lack of effort, they are a lack of results.

If the C's gave consistent effort, every night, they'd likely have a far better record, and most people would be viewing last night game completely diferently.  Instead of just lumping in last night's loss with all the losses due to lack of effort, it's simply be viewed as a tough loss to a tough opponent.  There's no shame in that.

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2013, 02:12:32 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
I am not optomistic. This team is basically dead in the water that cannot execute when the chips are on the table. That is when they put out an effort like last night. The team does not bother to show up half the time and gives up to easily when they get busted by younger more athletic temas. So I think it is a lack of talent at this point and I will feel this way until they find wins out there.

Ever since 2009-2010 we have heard this and then we just go to the ECF or something. I mean unless Wade takes out Rondo.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2013, 02:32:57 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324

Well, I guess it depends on what you mean by "effort." I presume you mean they played hard (physical effort), but I'm wondering about the mental effort. I mean, when a team consistently gets plenty of open looks (the result of good physical effort) but consistently fails to make the shots, that's not a fluke thing, so maybe it's that they're not concentrating, not focusing, not confident, etc., which would be a lack of mental effort.

It just concerns me that, regardless of effort, this team is consistently finding ways to screw up and lose, and it also concerns me that certain fans consistently chalk up these losses to "bad bounces," "oh, it was just an off night," "oh, mistakes happen." Mistakes and missed open shots and missed opportunities happen way too much with this team. They'd be in the playoffs if the season ended today, but I'm not confident they'd last more than 5 games in the first round.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2013, 03:32:07 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I agree with Kane3387.  I too see some reason for optimism.  Firstly, the defense has been pretty solid since getting off to that horrendous start to the season where we seemingly couldn't guard anyone.  Surprisingly, even during our 5 game losing streak, our defense has been well above league average.

The problem right now is obviously the offense.  I don't buy that we don't have the personnel to play better on that end of the court.  Over the course of the last five games, the shooting percentages have been downright ugly:  41% from the field, 26% from three, and even the free throws have been bad at 71%.  Now, we can blame the quarterback for not running the show properly and we can blame the coach for running a crappy system, or we can say that our scorers are just too old, but we have been getting pretty much the same looks we normally get, and just missing.  We won't continue shooting those percentages.  Those are bound to come up to close to normal.  Once they do, we won't all of a sudden start leading the league in offensive efficiency with our off-the-ball-screen, half court, jump shooting, no offensive rebounding offense, but if we can keep our D elite, we'll be the team that we all expected us to be to start the season.

I know things seem desperate to many right now, but I definitely see things pointing in the right direction.  We'll start hitting some shots soon, and once we do, we'll be a better team. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2013, 03:40:16 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175

I already believe we have the ability to compete with anyone, just not that excited about it being confirmed they don't play hard against inferior competition and fall a little short even when they do give effort against good teams...they're worth the same thing and the Celtics need wins, not false bravado that they're the big bad Celtics who can beat anyone when they feel like it...they need to develop habits against crap teams to pull out the close ones against good teams

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2013, 03:57:33 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
That makes one of us.

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2013, 05:20:26 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2013, 05:38:29 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
We need help not more effort.

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2013, 05:41:18 PM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
First we need to come with that effort at least 4 out of every 5 games. I don't think it's realistic to think they will play that hard every game. But we need it for 80% of the remainder of the season.

Secondly this is why we lost last night...

Above is our shot chart from last night. We were ice Cold outside of 15+ feet. This won't last. These are professionals and guys like KG, Pierce, Terry, Bass, and Lee won't all remain in slumps. Eventually these shots will go down and if we are playing with the effort that we did last night then we will win a lot of games.

These Celtics live and die with perimeter jumpers and, well, on Thursday night nothing was falling for Boston. From our friends at ESPN Stats and Info:
The Celtics shot a season worst 7 of 32 (21.9 percent) for 17 points on shots at least 15 feet from the basket on Thursday. When the Celtics have won this season, they have averaged more than 40 points per game from such distance.

Exactly how bad was it? Boston shot 21.9 percent overall from 15+ feet -- its worst percentage this season and it's 3-point percentage was 16.7 percent, second worst this year.

Doc on the team:

"Our offense hasn’t been great, but no one’s offense was good [on Thursday]," said Rivers. "This was a hard-played game, this was a playoff-type game. Baskets were hard to come by, guys were flying out at each other. This is the way the playoffs look.

"All you hope is that you make your open shots. And we just didn’t. [Jason Terry is] struggling right now, I thought he had -- 1-for-6 [shooting] and four of them were point-blank, wide-open looks. Paul had a couple. I think Kevin missed a couple right at the basket. That's just the way it goes. It’s a make/miss league; With effort, it’s a make/miss league. If you play with great effort every night, then the game will come down to if you make your open shots."

He definitely sounded different then he did in Detroit. I think the effort will continue to be there and as a result we will start winning more.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4701573/live-by-the-jumper

False optimism.

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2013, 06:26:28 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Effort is great but can it over come old age?   I don't think so or lack of talent at some positions.   Hustle is great but if shots are not dropping all it does is prolong the loss.