Poll

Who starts if Smart returns this series?

Jaylen Brown
25 (52.1%)
Marcus Smart
8 (16.7%)
Brown until Smart is playing better than Brown, then Smart.
15 (31.3%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Author Topic: Does Brown continue to start when Smart returns?[Poll]  (Read 2976 times)

Does Brown continue to start when Smart returns?[Poll]
« on: April 25, 2019, 12:47:10 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
So it's been just 4 games, but Jaylen, as the #4 option on the starting offense, has worked out well thus far in these playoffs. His defense and intensity has been excellent. He is shooting well everywhere but at the line(58.6% FG%, 42.9% 3PT%, 66.7% TS%) and has been great rebounding the ball with nearly 7 rebounds a game.

Kyrie is also playing great next to Jaylen, (22.5 PPG, 7.8 APG, 4.5 RPG)which is great to see since he obviously has to have the ball in his hands more without Smart there.

We all hope when Smart returns he is 100%, but that may be hoping for too much. Knowing Smart he would want to play at even just 25% capacity, which wouldn't be allowed, but I think it safe to say it is most probable Smart returns at less than 100% and possibly on a minutes restriction.

So do you give Smart the start or stick with what is working, with Brown playing some of his best defense of the year while being the most efficient scorer on the team and a giant plus on the boards grabbing 6.8 a game from the backcourt, making Brown, the team's 2nd leading rebounder?

But Smart and Kyrie have really shined as a backcourt all year. Smart taking some of the ball handling off Kyrie, tremendously helped the flow of the offense. Smart, at 100%, is also this team's best perimeter defender and a premier defensive QB along with Al Horford.

So do you go with what is working, if it continues to work with the Bucks, or do you give Smart his starting position back or do you wait until it appears Smart is just playing better than Brown, then make the switch?

« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 01:04:23 PM by nickagneta »

Re: Does Brown continue to start when Smart returns?[Poll]
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 12:52:56 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Brad isn't shy to make a starting lineup change, in the PO as well.
But also, his usual practice is, stick to the thing that is working.
I think that Jaylen starts this whole series and unless something drastic happens, whole PO.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 11:04:47 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1370
If it's working fine with Jaylen starting then I vote we stick with it, unless Jaylen suffers a drop in production because he becomes the 4th option with the starters vs the 2nd option with the 2nd unit, or if he's getting lit up by someone.

Personally I think with our team there's not that big a disparity with starters and bench players, it's not like other teams where there's a noticeable drop in quality. It's more about how many minutes they play and if they're in at the end of a close game. I became less concerned about who starts once it became obvious that we had a number of players who could easily start.

When you have players that are fairly interchangeable when it comes to quality, then the main thing becomes, who can impact the game at the start more and mesh in better with the 1st unit? I do think that's Smart, because he can survive on less touches offensively, and we already have 3 scoring options in Kyrie, Jayson and Al. But defensively I don't think there's a lot between them, maybe Smart has a bit of an edge but that's it. If Jaylen can be locked in defensively like he was for Indiana there's nothing between them.

BTW, this is predicated on Smart coming back, which I'm pretty sure are close to zero in terms of the Bucks series, and pretty low after that in any case.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 11:14:53 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I chose the third option. I think Smart should slowly work his way back, and if he proves himself then Brad can make the move.

I think Brown was outperforming Smart coming off the bench at the end of the season, yet Smart still started. I also think Brown works better next to Hayward than Smart does.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 11:47:20 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Smart should take Rozier's place in the second unit.

That will make us a much stronger team.

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2019, 12:16:19 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Brown should not even be starting now. He should be coming off the bench where he has excelled. It is actually shortsighted to have plucked Brown from the bench unit to the starting lineup after Smart went down. Because what you have effectively done is weaken your bench after suffering a loss that weakens your starting lineup. So now you have two weakened units instead of one. Morris should have been thrust into the starting lineup to replace smart.

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2019, 03:45:30 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Brown should absolutely start, he's such a dynamic wing player that would be a huge mismatch for Milwaukee.

Btw 2000th post! Love you guys!
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2019, 06:37:51 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Smart taking Rozier's spot takes the the ball out of Hayward's hands. And I want Gordon with the ball.

So I say start Smart.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2019, 08:15:02 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
You go with what you know.

The starting lineup has performed very well.

4 wins no losses.

You dont change that for the 5th starter.

Smart comes off bemch amd lets gordon score more as opposed to facilitate. Team needs gordon putting up 20ppg more than it needs his getting 5 assists

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2019, 08:16:18 AM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
if it aint broke dont fix it

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2019, 10:22:48 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Brown should absolutely start, he's such a dynamic wing player that would be a huge mismatch for Milwaukee.

Btw 2000th post! Love you guys!

Of course he is dynamic, now imagine him feasting on the opponents bench ala Lou Williams of the Clippers then when he is on a roll you play him at the end of the games. Brad is misusing his talent.

By the way TP for your new star.

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2019, 10:54:04 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
There are going to be a bunch of things to consider. Is Marcus 100% or is he on a minutes restriction at first? How does this affect the match-ups?

Everything else equal, I think you go back to what worked best over the course of the season, Smart in the starting lineup. But there might be other factors.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2019, 11:10:58 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
If Brogdon is somehow back and starting next to Bledsoe, then I think Boston will need to start Smart, any one else starting with Bledsoe, you start Brown.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2019, 11:15:11 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
If Brogdon is somehow back and starting next to Bledsoe, then I think Boston will need to start Smart, any one else starting with Bledsoe, you start Brown.
Will it matter if Brogdon is playing or Brown? My guess is Tatum will be guarding either Brown or Brogdon with Jaylen or Smart, whichever starts, taking Middleton.

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2019, 12:07:50 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Will it matter if Brogdon is playing or Brown? My guess is Tatum will be guarding either Brown or Brogdon with Jaylen or Smart, whichever starts, taking Middleton.
I don't think Tatum or Brown would be effective guarding Brogdon.  Giannis is hard enough to contain the team doesn't need to give other Bucks easier times.

That said I don't think we see Brogdon until at least the 3rd game and he probably will be a much lesser version and not starting.  I also dont think Smart is back for awhile either.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip