Author Topic: Patriots 2018 Season  (Read 78720 times)

Re: Patriots 2018 Season
« Reply #345 on: January 06, 2019, 03:50:17 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
No guarantees SD will be inept two games in a row. But they are the Chargers.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #346 on: January 06, 2019, 04:22:58 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
No guarantees SD will be inept two games in a row. But they are the Chargers.

Should be great game next week.

« Reply #347 on: January 06, 2019, 04:23:39 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
What will line be? Pats -5?

« Reply #348 on: January 06, 2019, 04:26:57 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2484
The Chargers really wanted to blow this one. That team just loves to choke.

Even if the Pats play poorly it is nice knowing the Chargers will leave the door open for a Pats comeback.

« Reply #349 on: January 06, 2019, 04:36:00 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!
Either way, we were going to pick our poison here. Both teams are capable of beating NE at Foxboro and each presented unique challenges for the Pats.

With that said, I'm actually okay facing the Chargers. Remember folks, the Chargers already played the Ravens once in the regular season so they were more familiar with them, which the Pats aren't. And did anyone actually think our O-Line could hold up against that fierce, physical Ravens pass rush? Brady would have been throttled many times. We don't have as much talent all over on offense and the Ravens defense is physical everywhere.

We saw late what BAL's offense was capable of doing, while we also saw why LAC never seems to get much respect (their choking tendencies).

It'll be a tough game, but I like our chances at home in what is likely to be 30 degree weather (today in Baltimore I think it was 50+). Chargers are the most balanced team in the AFC Playoffs, but they aren't that explosive on either side of the ball IMO.

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #350 on: January 06, 2019, 04:56:46 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
Here's how I see it all shaping out (using my mind, not my heart). And yes I'll put score predictions too but we all know it's all going to be very wrong  :P

WILD CARD

Texans > Colts 27-24
Cowboys > Seahawks 24-20
Chargers > Ravens 23-20
Bears > Eagles 27-17

DIVISIONAL

Chiefs > Chargers 35-31
Bears > Rams 20-17
Patriots > Texans 34-24
Saints > Cowboys 34-21

AFC/NFC CHAMPIONSHIP

Chiefs > Patriots 28-20  :'( :'( :'(
Saints > Bears 31-17

SUPER BOWL

Saints > Chiefs 38-27

To me, the Ravens and Colts are both two of the most dangerous AFC teams heading into the playoffs and both have been red hot lately. Either one could make the SB. With that said, I think HOU will edge out IND in a close one at home (one that's somewhat sloppy by both sides). I think there is also pressure on Phillip Rivers about HOF-status and such (though I think he's a HOF'er no doubt), and going one and done would be brutal. I see him and the Chargers playing their hearts out and beating BAL but then losing a nail-biter to KC at Arrowhead (don't see KC losing twice to LAC at home).

NE beats HOU in a close one as they have in recent years too but then this is where the Miami Miracle and not having the 1 seed hurts. I just don't see this team winning at Arrowhead, period. I know BAL and LAC are both dangerous teams (LAC the most BALANCED of all AFC teams) but I like our chances better against either at HOME as opposed to going to Arrowhead to play KC.

I think the NFC is somewhat straightforward. I don't see anyone going into New Orleans and leaving with a win. I think CHI's defense is legit and they'll upset the Rams again, but then fall to Brees and the Saints. Cowboys-Seahawks I think will be fun and entertaining, and could very well be the best game of the Wild Card round easily. I think the Cowboys have pressure in regards to their coaching staff and Dak, because if after all that they go one-and-done, then there could be serious changes (or some guys get put on the hot seat for sure for next season). Eagles defense is injured/flawed this year so even with Foles I don't see them going deep in the playoffs this year.

Then for the SB, the Saints and Chiefs have explosive offenses, but NO for sure have the better defense and that to me makes the difference.

Brees gets his 2nd and I'm perfectly fine with that (Brady is still the GOAT though!). Actually, I'm fine with ANY of the playoff teams winning it all as long as it's not PHI, BAL or IND (IND because of our history with them, their fans and FO but I do like Luck and a lot of their players).

WELP. So far I'm 1-2 in these predictions. GO BEARS!  :P

« Reply #351 on: January 06, 2019, 05:10:18 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
The Pats are going to be fine against either of these teams.

I'm confident that the Pats would find a way to struggle against either team. And when I say "struggle," I don't mean the normal challenges any team encounters and has to overcome in postseason competition against other good teams; I mean things that they have at least some control over but in which they fail to execute properly or make the right choice—for example, failing to have a good red-zone game plan (looking at you, McDaniels), or failing to make necessary adjustments midgame, or committing too many penalties, or doing a bad job of blocking or tackling.

The Chargers will be a tough out, but they have a history of big-time screwups in key situations, so that could work in New England's favor. Plus, the Pats are at home, where they rarely lose. I think the Pats will win, but I think they'll make it harder on themselves than they have to.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #352 on: January 06, 2019, 07:51:59 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Oh, that freaking sucks.  What a bad beat for Chicago.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #353 on: January 06, 2019, 07:54:12 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525

Amazing

« Reply #354 on: January 06, 2019, 07:54:37 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Brutal. Their kicker had a pretty rough season with hitting the posts
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #355 on: January 06, 2019, 07:54:51 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
Feel bad for the kicker.

« Reply #356 on: January 06, 2019, 07:57:52 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
unbelievable...
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 08:26:50 PM by rondofan1255 »

« Reply #357 on: January 06, 2019, 08:18:44 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

I just had a bad feeling after the timeout was called to ice the kicker and he made the FG that, "oh he's going to miss the next one, isn't he" and he did in crazy fashion (two doinks)  :(

« Reply #358 on: January 06, 2019, 10:25:59 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Brutal. Their kicker had a pretty rough season with hitting the posts

He had the second-most missed kicks in the NFL this season with 10 (including FGs and PATs). Figures that the freakin Eagles, whom I despise after last Super Bowl, barely squeaked into the playoffs and then barely stayed alive today. They're shaping up to be this year's version of the '07 Giants (hopefully they don't face the Pats in a SB rematch and win again).
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #359 on: January 07, 2019, 01:21:51 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2158
Eagles special teams missing credit for the tip
The only color that matters is GREEN