Author Topic: Patriots 2018 Season  (Read 78969 times)

Re: Patriots 2018 Season
« Reply #330 on: December 31, 2018, 05:19:58 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
The Ravens would scare me because their the Ravens and this Pats season reminds me most of the 09 season.

At the same time, the Pats have historically done pretty well against running QBs, and Lamar Jackson is the most run-reliant QB in the league now.  The Pats have a disciplined defense, for whatever else you can say about their D.

Unfortunately, they also have a laughably slow run defense.

So .... I dunno.

I think I'd pick the Pats at home against the Texans, but I'd be reluctant to pick them against anybody else, including the Colts, who they won't face unless Indianapolis somehow made it to the AFC title game (they won't).

I might pick them against the Ravens, anyway, though.  The Ravens just feel like a gimmick team with Lamar Jackson, and it's hard to imagine Belichick losing to a rookie QB with such a limited passing game.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #331 on: December 31, 2018, 06:35:10 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!
Here's how I see it all shaping out (using my mind, not my heart). And yes I'll put score predictions too but we all know it's all going to be very wrong  :P

WILD CARD

Texans > Colts 27-24
Cowboys > Seahawks 24-20
Chargers > Ravens 23-20
Bears > Eagles 27-17

DIVISIONAL

Chiefs > Chargers 35-31
Bears > Rams 20-17
Patriots > Texans 34-24
Saints > Cowboys 34-21

AFC/NFC CHAMPIONSHIP

Chiefs > Patriots 28-20  :'( :'( :'(
Saints > Bears 31-17

SUPER BOWL

Saints > Chiefs 38-27

To me, the Ravens and Colts are both two of the most dangerous AFC teams heading into the playoffs and both have been red hot lately. Either one could make the SB. With that said, I think HOU will edge out IND in a close one at home (one that's somewhat sloppy by both sides). I think there is also pressure on Phillip Rivers about HOF-status and such (though I think he's a HOF'er no doubt), and going one and done would be brutal. I see him and the Chargers playing their hearts out and beating BAL but then losing a nail-biter to KC at Arrowhead (don't see KC losing twice to LAC at home).

NE beats HOU in a close one as they have in recent years too but then this is where the Miami Miracle and not having the 1 seed hurts. I just don't see this team winning at Arrowhead, period. I know BAL and LAC are both dangerous teams (LAC the most BALANCED of all AFC teams) but I like our chances better against either at HOME as opposed to going to Arrowhead to play KC.

I think the NFC is somewhat straightforward. I don't see anyone going into New Orleans and leaving with a win. I think CHI's defense is legit and they'll upset the Rams again, but then fall to Brees and the Saints. Cowboys-Seahawks I think will be fun and entertaining, and could very well be the best game of the Wild Card round easily. I think the Cowboys have pressure in regards to their coaching staff and Dak, because if after all that they go one-and-done, then there could be serious changes (or some guys get put on the hot seat for sure for next season). Eagles defense is injured/flawed this year so even with Foles I don't see them going deep in the playoffs this year.

Then for the SB, the Saints and Chiefs have explosive offenses, but NO for sure have the better defense and that to me makes the difference.

Brees gets his 2nd and I'm perfectly fine with that (Brady is still the GOAT though!). Actually, I'm fine with ANY of the playoff teams winning it all as long as it's not PHI, BAL or IND (IND because of our history with them, their fans and FO but I do like Luck and a lot of their players).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #332 on: January 05, 2019, 10:52:09 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
So Colts win which means the Pats get the Ravens or Chargers which had to be the worse option for the Pats.  Here's hoping my Ravens pull it out tomorrow and then go into New England and win.  I feel both better and worse about their chances of doing so with Lamar as he is so dynamic and problematic, but has no experience and might get overwhelmed, something Flacco definitely would not have happen.  Plus with playing the Chargers just 2 weeks ago this is the first team that gets a second look at Lamar.  I imagine they will have something up their sleeve.  Hopefully it doesn't matter.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #333 on: January 05, 2019, 10:57:18 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I will feel better playing the warm weather Chargers than the Ravens and their experienced coach who has won in New England in the playoffs, but even if it is the Ravens, I could see Belichick putting together a game plan to confuse and stop Lamar Jackson. Just don't have a lot of confidence in a rookie run first QB walking into Foxborough in January and pulling out a win.

Either way, I see the Pat's in the AFC Finals.

« Reply #334 on: January 05, 2019, 11:27:08 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I will feel better playing the warm weather Chargers than the Ravens and their experienced coach who has won in New England in the playoffs, but even if it is the Ravens, I could see Belichick putting together a game plan to confuse and stop Lamar Jackson. Just don't have a lot of confidence in a rookie run first QB walking into Foxborough in January and pulling out a win.

Either way, I see the Pat's in the AFC Finals.

The question is, can the Colts compete against the Chiefs? I think the Chiefs are in much better shape in an offensive shootout, which is what the Colts will give them on a good day. I really thought the Ravens could give the Chiefs trouble, and the Chargers obviously are a great road team.

Oh well. I fell like if the Pats make a run this year, it's going to be a slog and we need to catch some breaks. Last couple of years we've had a pretty easy path to the Super Bowl. Maybe with Gronk and Edelman getting older there will be a Celtics 2010 vibe...

« Reply #335 on: January 06, 2019, 12:17:48 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Chiefs will steamroll the Colts. They got that extra rest, no travel, and the Colts are a bit banged up.

Patriots will have to pick their poison- well-balanced offense/defense in SD Chargers, or #1 defense and mobile QB in Baltimore.

For viewing ratings, go with a classic Rivers-Brady showdown.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #336 on: January 06, 2019, 12:40:27 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Anyone saw Allen Hurn's leg snapped in half in that game? That looked like Gordon Hayward's injury. Gave me the chills again.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #337 on: January 06, 2019, 01:25:53 AM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
Chiefs will steamroll the Colts. They got that extra rest, no travel, and the Colts are a bit banged up.

Patriots will have to pick their poison- well-balanced offense/defense in SD Chargers, or #1 defense and mobile QB in Baltimore.

SD (LA?) has always fallen all over themselves in the playoffs and I expect that again. I fear more the Ravens just because of history and an actual coach.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #338 on: January 06, 2019, 01:50:16 AM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

SD (LA?) has always fallen all over themselves in the playoffs and I expect that again. I fear more the Ravens just because of history and an actual coach.

Yeah, they're the L.A. Chargers now.

As a Pats fan, I feel more concerned about the Ravens than the Chargers. But whatevs. Whatever's gonna be will be.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #339 on: January 06, 2019, 02:08:02 AM »

• Satch Sanders
Anyone saw Allen Hurn's leg snapped in half in that game? That looked like Gordon Hayward's injury. Gave me the chills again.

Hadn't heard, so I just looked it up—horrible. Looks awful. I hate it when players get injured, especially in gruesome fashion.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #340 on: January 06, 2019, 08:38:04 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
The Miami game finally comes back to bite the Pats. The ideal scenario was to play the Texans at home while leaving the winner of BAL/LAC to go at the Chiefs. Now the Chiefs get a much easier game and we end up with a tough one either way (Chargers were actually better than us!).

I don't see how KC loses, so even if we do pull it out, we have to go on the road in Arrowhead (not an easy task). Of course this is all doable and I doubt anybody is looking forward to facing Tom/Bill and the Patriots, but this was definitely the year some breaks would have been appreciated.

« Reply #341 on: January 06, 2019, 12:41:36 PM »

• Satch Sanders
The Miami game finally comes back to bite the Pats. The ideal scenario was to play the Texans at home while leaving the winner of BAL/LAC to go at the Chiefs. Now the Chiefs get a much easier game and we end up with a tough one either way (Chargers were actually better than us!).

I don't see how KC loses, so even if we do pull it out, we have to go on the road in Arrowhead (not an easy task). Of course this is all doable and I doubt anybody is looking forward to facing Tom/Bill and the Patriots, but this was definitely the year some breaks would have been appreciated.

The Patriots have no one to blame but the Patriots. The usual slow start to the season plus the Miami blunder were enough to alter the course of their season. I think I'd rather see them face L.A., but either one would be a tough opponent.

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #342 on: January 06, 2019, 03:05:26 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The Pats are going to be fine against either of these teams.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #343 on: January 06, 2019, 03:19:39 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525

Neither is lighting it up that’s for sure. But Baltimore sure looks like the easier opponent.

« Reply #344 on: January 06, 2019, 03:34:27 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be

Chargers can give the Patriots some trouble.

Ravens are a joke, though.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team