Author Topic: Patriots 2018 Season  (Read 76894 times)

Re: Patriots 2018 Season
« Reply #315 on: December 24, 2018, 01:51:01 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 995
So at the end of the day, the Dolphins and Steelers both receive karma as the Miami Miracle ultimately doesn't mean much (they got eliminated today, and we still keep the 2 seed thanks to PHI), and the Steelers beat us last week but lost today and thanks to BAL's win last night are OUT of the playoff picture right now ;)

With that said though, I tend to agree with @neurotic...

Pats looking terrible while up 15 on the Bills.  Never seen Brady look worse.  Running game is great today, but O-line cannot pass block. Brady has been bad AND he's had no time to throw.

The O-Line actually hasn't been terrible, it's just you have to remember, Buffalo's defense is actually one of the best in the league (even Top-5), it's just their offense is terrible and that obviously showed today as well. Our O-Line is pretty mobile during a play and tends to give TB12 time. Brady on the other hand just looks sluggish. The offense as a whole has looked uncharacteristically bad as Edelman is dropping passes/getting flagged, Gronk is a shell of himself, and of course the turnovers. 1 bad INT from Brady, another INT courtesy of Gronk, and then a Burkhead fumble.

Philly edges Houston and Pats somehow end up in driver's seat for a bye.  Wow.  Still even have a shot at the 1-seed if KC loses in Seattle.

But with that said though, it's impressive how a 10-5 season so far with a 2 seed in our hand and some sluggish play is what we call a "down year" here  :P

Goes to show how impressive this team has been since the turn of the century!

Still have a shot at the 1-seed if Oakland beats KC next week. In which it may be the last "Oakland" Raiders game forever.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #316 on: December 24, 2018, 03:02:18 AM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
Not going to quote you Sparz, just because it’s so long... but:

Both the Chargers and Chiefs need to lose next week, coupled with a Pats win in order to get the #1 seed.

« Reply #317 on: December 24, 2018, 03:08:22 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White

Both the Chargers and Chiefs need to lose next week, coupled with a Pats win in order to get the #1 seed.

Ah yes that too. Long shot, but it's possible. Though I'm quite content with the #2 seed for this season.

« Reply #318 on: December 24, 2018, 02:49:40 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I just cannot believe that Miami play is keeping us from HFA through the playoffs this year.

« Reply #319 on: December 24, 2018, 04:11:33 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I know this is a Patriots related thread but I "MUST" get this off my chest.

I hereby dedicate this clip to my beloved Washington Redskins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WN-aCYVVtyo

Losing is TRULY a disease with my Washington Redskins....they just released DJ Swearinger.

Ok - I get it that he violated team rules. I get it that he's been warned repeatedly.

But compound THIS on yet ANOTHER LOSING SEASON for my Washington Redskins.............

PATRIOTS FANS - count your blessings. Don't EVER get spoiled by your success.

« Reply #320 on: December 24, 2018, 06:19:58 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2943
  • On To Banner 18!

Ah yes that too. Long shot, but it's possible. Though I'm quite content with the #2 seed for this season.

Actually, getting the 2 seed isn't terrible depending on how you view Houston.

The 1 seed is likely to play any of BAL/PIT/LAC/IND/TEN (all depends on who wins the AFC North and who claims the 6 seed - right now I'd say its BAL 4 seed and IND 6). The 2 seed is likely to play HOU.

Personally, HOU doesn't scare me as much and we've had relative success against them over the years. We should beat them at home as long as we contain Hopkins (which we've done well recently) and keep Watson in the pocket (don't let him run for big gains often).

BAL on the other hand is on fire right now. LAC is very balanced on both sides of the ball. PIT is also talented and has the pass rush to get to Brady (as we saw a week ago). And TEN/IND to me have that uniqueness in their teams that could throw us off-guard.

Meanwhile I could see any of BAL/IND/LAC going into Arrowhead and winning, so maybe we could end up hosting the AFCCG as well anyways  ;D
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #321 on: December 24, 2018, 06:20:11 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I just cannot believe that Miami play is keeping us from HFA through the playoffs this year.

I believe it. They've struggled in Miami for years, and this season overall has mostly been a grind for the Pats. They're actually fortunate if they do, in fact, end up with the 2 seed.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #322 on: December 24, 2018, 11:31:15 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I believe it. They've struggled in Miami for years, and this season overall has mostly been a grind for the Pats. They're actually fortunate if they do, in fact, end up with the 2 seed.
It could easily be said that other teams are lucky they are not 13-2 right now and cruising to their whatever in a record breaking row record of making it to the AFC championship game and beyond.

« Reply #323 on: December 25, 2018, 02:50:00 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

It could easily be said that other teams are lucky they are not 13-2 right now and cruising to their whatever in a record breaking row record of making it to the AFC championship game and beyond.

You could make that argument, but I think their play this year is much more in line with 10-5 than 13-2.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #324 on: December 25, 2018, 06:56:58 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522

You could blame the last play in Miami, but I texted my friends right after the Brady mind-cramp at the half that the Pats just lost the game and probably HFA.  I was actually more shocked by Brady's mistake than by the miracle at the end.

« Reply #325 on: December 25, 2018, 11:25:32 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2943
  • On To Banner 18!

You could blame the last play in Miami, but I texted my friends right after the Brady mind-cramp at the half that the Pats just lost the game and probably HFA.  I was actually more shocked by Brady's mistake than by the miracle at the end.

Also, in the 2nd to last Pats drive last week @PIT, I had faith we could sneak it out and win despite how sluggish we looked. But then Brady had ANOTHER mind-cramp and threw that awful INT. Like.. Brady never does that. I understand trying to throw a rocket into the endzone or a ball just getting tipped (unlucky) and getting picked, but Brady practically floating that right to Haden (their CB) was just an awful decision overall. Even if we don't score a TD, we can make it from a 14-10 deficit to just a 14-13 one, but we obviously didn't score there while PIT went down the field and extended the lead.

We can obviously talk about talent, roster, etc. but another part of the game is decision-making and mental toughness, and unfortunately this team really seems to lack that these days. Hopefully that changes in January. I do think our rich playoff experience will help us out there though.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #326 on: December 31, 2018, 04:47:52 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
Huge win for the Patriots in Week 17 over the Jets. The first time of the season where the offense, defense, and special teams did not have any blunders.

AFC Playoffs are set.
1. Kansas City
2. New England
3. Houston
4. Baltimore
5. Los Angeles
6. Indianapolis

Hopefully, the Patriots draw the Texans in the Divisional Rounds as they're probably the easiest of the six. But don't bank on it as the Colts are poised to upset the Texans. Meanwhile, Chargers and Ravens duke it out in their rematch. Hopefully they wear themselves out. I'd prefer one of them going into Kansas City and pulling an upset so the AFCCG will still go through Foxboro (assuming the Patriots take care of business in the Divisional Rounds). This year won't be easy for the Patriots as years before where they cakewalked through their playoffs to the Superbowl.

The NFC is interesting. Eagles @ Bears will be good. Cowboys don't look that great and neither do the Seahawks. Rams are overrated. Ultimately, I see a Bears-Saints NFCCG with the Saints going to Superbowl 53 and beat whoever represents the AFC. Ironically, in 2009, the Saints lost to the Bucs, Cowboys, and Panthers and they won their Superbowl that year. This year, they lost to the same three teams and having home-field advantage.

« Reply #327 on: December 31, 2018, 04:57:15 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
It's the ninth straight year they have earned a bye.  Incredible.

« Reply #328 on: December 31, 2018, 04:54:57 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Headed into the NFL playoffs, and I'm looking at the seedings to try to figure out what I think is going to happen.

I've already spent plenty of time explaining how flawed I think this year's Pats team is. 

Yet they have a bye and have been a much better team at home.  Will they make the AFC Championship once again?

AFC

6 vs 3 -- I think Indianapolis is the better team here, and I expect them to beat a crappy Houston team.

5 vs 4  -- LAC wins.  In my mind the Chargers are the best team in the AFC despite their seeding. 

That sets up:

6 vs 1 -- KC wins this battle of two offensive teams with gunslinger QBs.

5 vs 2 -- Pats are a better team at home, but I think the Chargers are the better team by a good margin.  Just more dangerous with a younger QB.  I think LAC wins this one.

5 vs 1 -- Balanced LAC team w/ the veteran QB vs the offensive KC team w/ a young gunslinger and veteran HC.  I just can't imagine Andy Reid not finding a way to mess this up.  I pick LAC.

NFC

6 vs 3 -- Philly has the SB mystique, but the Bears are a better team.  Their defense will be too much for Foles.

5 vs 4 -- Seattle is the better, more playoff tested team.  Better HC, better QB, better defense.  They'll win.

3 vs 2 -- The Rams offense is almost as great as the Bears defense.  Neither team has a great QB.  I think the Bears could win this, but I think home field and a great running game will give the Rams the edge.

5 vs 1 -- Saints are at home and a better team than Seattle, I think.  Much more potent offense and a solid defense.  Saints win.

2 vs 1 -- This is a rematch from a game in November of this season that the Saints won 45-35.  I think the Rams win this time.

That would make the Super Bowl -- Rams vs Chargers.  An All-LA Super Bowl!

I mean, who knows.  In a single elimination tournament anything can happen, it's not that crazy for any team to get hot for four straight.

I'd love to see Phillip Rivers win a SB before the end of his career.  He's had a lot of painful years playing for the Chargers, a team with more than a fair share of bad luck.

It wouldn't shock me if the Bears make it to the SB and win by simply making every game ugly and dominating with defense the way the Broncos did a few years ago.

The Saints have home field for the NFC playoffs and Brees has been good.  With that said, their offense is not quite on the same level as the Rams, and their defense is solid but not a game-breaking unit like the Bears. 

If I had to put money on a team, I think I'd put it on the Rams.  Best NFC team by DVOA.  Elite offense and a  decent defense with some dangerous playmakers.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #329 on: December 31, 2018, 05:14:29 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Headed into the NFL playoffs, and I'm looking at the seedings to try to figure out what I think is going to happen.

I've already spent plenty of time explaining how flawed I think this year's Pats team is. 

Yet they have a bye and have been a much better team at home.  Will they make the AFC Championship once again?

AFC

6 vs 3 -- I think Indianapolis is the better team here, and I expect them to beat a crappy Houston team.

5 vs 4  -- LAC wins.  In my mind the Chargers are the best team in the AFC despite their seeding. 

That sets up:

6 vs 1 -- KC wins this battle of two offensive teams with gunslinger QBs.

5 vs 2 -- Pats are a better team at home, but I think the Chargers are the better team by a good margin.  Just more dangerous with a younger QB.  I think LAC wins this one.

5 vs 1 -- Balanced LAC team w/ the veteran QB vs the offensive KC team w/ a young gunslinger and veteran HC.  I just can't imagine Andy Reid not finding a way to mess this up.  I pick LAC.

NFC

6 vs 3 -- Philly has the SB mystique, but the Bears are a better team.  Their defense will be too much for Foles.

5 vs 4 -- Seattle is the better, more playoff tested team.  Better HC, better QB, better defense.  They'll win.

3 vs 2 -- The Rams offense is almost as great as the Bears defense.  Neither team has a great QB.  I think the Bears could win this, but I think home field and a great running game will give the Rams the edge.

5 vs 1 -- Saints are at home and a better team than Seattle, I think.  Much more potent offense and a solid defense.  Saints win.

2 vs 1 -- This is a rematch from a game in November of this season that the Saints won 45-35.  I think the Rams win this time.

That would make the Super Bowl -- Rams vs Chargers.  An All-LA Super Bowl!

I mean, who knows.  In a single elimination tournament anything can happen, it's not that crazy for any team to get hot for four straight.

I'd love to see Phillip Rivers win a SB before the end of his career.  He's had a lot of painful years playing for the Chargers, a team with more than a fair share of bad luck.

It wouldn't shock me if the Bears make it to the SB and win by simply making every game ugly and dominating with defense the way the Broncos did a few years ago.

The Saints have home field for the NFC playoffs and Brees has been good.  With that said, their offense is not quite on the same level as the Rams, and their defense is solid but not a game-breaking unit like the Bears. 

If I had to put money on a team, I think I'd put it on the Rams.  Best NFC team by DVOA.  Elite offense and a  decent defense with some dangerous playmakers.

Im most afraid of Baltimore and the Chiefs as a Pats fan. Chiefs because theyre the number 1 seed on the road, and we barely beat them at home, and baltimore because NE tends to be bad ar coveringbacks out of the backfield andd giving up big qb runs, so...