Author Topic: Who better than Tatum?  (Read 6073 times)

Who better than Tatum?
« on: January 21, 2021, 11:09:17 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
Over the next 7-10 years, there is not a player in the NBA that I would rather build around over Jayson Tatum. Taking into consideration his age, size, position, shooting/scoring skill, rebounding and ability to hit big shots. His passing has greatly improved as has his defense. At 22 years old Tatum is averaging 27ppg, 7rpg, and nearly 4ast, while shooting 44% from 3pt and 89% from the FT line. It’s Incredible.

Doncic is a close second, but his shooting has been really poor since coming into the league. He’s shooting 28% from 3pt and his percentage has gotten worse each season. That’s concerning....I get that he’s basically averaging a triple double, which is impressive, but we’ve seen that before with Russell Westbrook. Another guy that put up monster numbers, but was never able and to develop a consistent shot. Luca and his Mav’s are also a .500 team right now.

Celtics struck gold with Tatum (and Brown). It’s truly remarkable what both guys are doing this year.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 08:16:59 AM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

Re: Who better than Tatum?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 11:14:01 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
I still think Doncic. But yeah, I'm beginning to think over the next 7-10 years, there's really no one else I'd want to build around. Not even Giannis or Zion or someone like that.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 11:20:18 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I still think Doncic. But yeah, I'm beginning to think over the next 7-10 years, there's really no one else I'd want to build around. Not even Giannis or Zion or someone like that.

Tatum is better two way player than Doncic

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2021, 11:25:20 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
7 to 10 years, there are several I take above Tatum.  Doncic is easy.  I think Jokic is fairly easy as well.  While older, I'd take Giannis and Davis and I would just plan on more like 7 then 10, but I'd start in the prime and there wouldn't be question marks about how good they can be.  I'd consider Zion, Simmons, and Towns, though might ultimately end up with Tatum as the better choice over those guys.

Tatum certainly has a chance to be a top 3 player in the league though and that will be really nice if he hits that potential.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2021, 01:02:54 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
::) Another Tatum lovefest? I'd take a lot of players over Tatum over the next 7ish years. Doncic and Jokic are the obvious 25 and-under candidates with Towns being another one if he recovers from the horrible 2020 he had, while big men who'll likely age well due to their defensive value like Davis, Embiid and Giannis are still young enough to have around 7 good years left. Then you get into the MVPs who might age like fine wine: Durant, Harden, LeBron, Curry, etc. Now I'm not taking all of those guys over Tatum in the next 7 years or so, but I'm pretty confident that at least a couple of them can still maintain their level of play over this period (I mean Durant looks even better than he ever did after an Achilles tear). That's 5-7 guys I'd take over Tatum without even including players who might explode out of nowhere in the future.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2021, 07:33:35 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
We depend too mutch on Tatum. If we could just try to pack Kemba and Smart for Beal, it would be good move. With Beal, Tatum and Brown, awesome trio. Starting to think...

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2021, 08:15:22 AM »

Online mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 618
::) Another Tatum lovefest? I'd take a lot of players over Tatum over the next 7ish years. Doncic and Jokic are the obvious 25 and-under candidates with Towns being another one if he recovers from the horrible 2020 he had, while big men who'll likely age well due to their defensive value like Davis, Embiid and Giannis are still young enough to have around 7 good years left. Then you get into the MVPs who might age like fine wine: Durant, Harden, LeBron, Curry, etc. Now I'm not taking all of those guys over Tatum in the next 7 years or so, but I'm pretty confident that at least a couple of them can still maintain their level of play over this period (I mean Durant looks even better than he ever did after an Achilles tear). That's 5-7 guys I'd take over Tatum without even including players who might explode out of nowhere in the future.

Ur just mad that he said "Who" better than Tatum and not "Somebody". ;)

I guess u and Who are gonna have to battle it out with some 1v1 games...

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2021, 08:23:02 AM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
7 to 10 years, there are several I take above Tatum.  Doncic is easy.  I think Jokic is fairly easy as well.  While older, I'd take Giannis and Davis and I would just plan on more like 7 then 10, but I'd start in the prime and there wouldn't be question marks about how good they can be.  I'd consider Zion, Simmons, and Towns, though might ultimately end up with Tatum as the better choice over those guys.

Tatum certainly has a chance to be a top 3 player in the league though and that will be really nice if he hits that potential.

If Doncic could shoot, I would agree with you. I don’t want my best player being unable to hit a jump shot. He’s puts up Russell Westbrook numbers, I get it. But I’d still rather have a guy like a Tatum who can close out a game. Also, like Tr1boy said, Tatum is a better two way player. Doncic is not a a very good defender.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2021, 09:43:13 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

If Doncic could shoot, I would agree with you. I don’t want my best player being unable to hit a jump shot. He’s puts up Russell Westbrook numbers, I get it. But I’d still rather have a guy like a Tatum who can close out a game. Also, like Tr1boy said, Tatum is a better two way player. Doncic is not a a very good defender.
Lebron shot 32.9% from 3 his first 8 years in the league before finally becoming a + shooter in year 9.  Jordan for his entire career shot 32.7% (and was 33.2 in Chicago).  Magic Johnson was a career 30.2% shooter from deep. 

Doncic is a special talent.  Unrealistic to expect him to be as good as the 3 guys I mentioned, but he is probably the one player in the league right now that has a chance to enter the discussion as a top 10 player all time (obviously Lebron is already there so I'm not counting him).  There isn't a GM in the league, including Ainge, that would take Tatum over Doncic. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2021, 09:44:45 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
I take Luka over Tatum..he is a triple-double machine where Tatum is not..
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2021, 09:49:36 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Luka and Jokic are the young guys most fans would take. 

I’m ready to ride or die with Tatum though.  Paul Pierce was never the best player in the league, but he sure was fun to follow while he was here.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2021, 10:04:50 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
I actually never considered Tatum to be the best choice, but when I think of alternatives he's much closer to the top than I expected.

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2021, 10:13:56 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
With how Tatum keeps improving, I would expect him in that top 5 of the future if not top 2.   

But I think the better question in terms of the Celtics future is where do you rank Brown?   

I have him in the top 10 at this point. 

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2021, 10:22:32 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
I love Tatum, but over this time frame, I might take Zion, but it's so close, that I'll stick with JT!
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2021, 10:40:00 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
The question isn't Who better than Tatum, but Who do we sorround Tatum with?  Brown seems isn't enough.