Author Topic: Jrue's Injury  (Read 10628 times)

Re: Jrue's Injury
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2024, 12:25:49 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Sit him as long as needed. Makes PP that much better come playoff time

I think this is the correct strategy

Obviously Jrue should rest until he’s healthy, but I don’t think extra playing time now is going to do much for Pritchard come playoff time.  He’s playing well and is filling his role — getting an extra 40-50 minutes of playing time over the next week or so isn’t likely to teach him anything he hasn’t already learned in his 1500 minutes this year.

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2024, 06:33:35 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
I wouldn’t play Jrue until last game and that just get him into the flow of the game and knock rust off
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2024, 08:18:57 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Don't rush him back, but don't hold him back either. If he is healed and isn't in significant danger of reinjuring himself, then he should be playing and shaking off the rust. Just give him and the rest of the top 6 plenty of scheduled rest in these last few weeks.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2024, 09:30:19 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC

Obviously Jrue should rest until he’s healthy, but I don’t think extra playing time now is going to do much for Pritchard come playoff time.  He’s playing well and is filling his role — getting an extra 40-50 minutes of playing time over the next week or so isn’t likely to teach him anything he hasn’t already learned in his 1500 minutes this year.

Give him confidence and gives the coaches confidence that he can handle regular minutes in the playoffs.

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2024, 09:35:34 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

Give him confidence and gives the coaches confidence that he can handle regular minutes in the playoffs.

I can’t imagine that confidence isn’t already there.  He’s been in the top 8 of the rotation all year long, and generally has acquitted himself well.

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2024, 09:49:00 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'd rather it was a muscle because those heal up, nerve damage can take forever to recover, if it ever does. This is concerning.

I'm curious about whether this is a diagnosis of "dead arm", or just Jrue's way of describing the symptoms. 

Generally, in a sports context, dead arm is more of a fatigue issue, which does involve muscles and tendons.  However, the description of how the injury came about, due to a sudden impact, could be either muscular or neurological (and wouldn't generally be "dead arm" in the traditional sense, although his arm might feel dead, numb or lacking in sensation.)

=============

I'm dealing with a different type of shoulder injury ("frozen shoulder"), and I got a cortisone injection that reduced my pain and improved my movement by 90%.  I know nothing about medicine, but I wonder if that's being recommended for Jrue.  I know he's on anti-inflammatories.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2024, 11:38:02 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
I'd rather it was a muscle because those heal up, nerve damage can take forever to recover, if it ever does. This is concerning.

I'm curious about whether this is a diagnosis of "dead arm", or just Jrue's way of describing the symptoms. 

Generally, in a sports context, dead arm is more of a fatigue issue, which does involve muscles and tendons.  However, the description of how the injury came about, due to a sudden impact, could be either muscular or neurological (and wouldn't generally be "dead arm" in the traditional sense, although his arm might feel dead, numb or lacking in sensation.)

=============

I'm dealing with a different type of shoulder injury ("frozen shoulder"), and I got a cortisone injection that reduced my pain and improved my movement by 90%.  I know nothing about medicine, but I wonder if that's being recommended for Jrue.  I know he's on anti-inflammatories.

I had frozen shoulder also, resulted from playing hockey.  I don't recall any specific collision or impact that caused it, it seemed more cumulative.  It took a long time for it to feel normal again, but I am much older than Jrue Holiday.

As to playing him, I would not over think it.  If it is healed, play him.  Even if they aren't sure, but think it is healed, go ahead and get him on the court to test it.  Obviously you don't want to do anything that will damage it further, but if is that vulnerable to reinjury, it probably isn't healed in the first place.  But if you wait until there are only 3 games left or whatever to test it, you are stuck.

Maybe resting him more is the better course, but determine that based on the health of the shoulder.  You aren't going to say, shoulder looks fine, but let's not play him for another 2 weeks just in case.

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2024, 01:14:40 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Bobby Manning @RealBobManning
about 9 minutes ago
Joe Mazzulla said Jrue Holiday went through practice and could be a go tomorrow.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2024, 01:19:21 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Bobby Manning @RealBobManning
about 9 minutes ago
Joe Mazzulla said Jrue Holiday went through practice and could be a go tomorrow.
Whew. Thanks. TP. Keep that up and you’ll be to 0 TPs sometime in 2112.

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2024, 01:26:11 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I tend  to think we might see a full strength team tomorrow just because of what happened Monday.

I do not think the guys want to leave Atlanta like that especially heading into a tough game versus the pelicans

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2024, 06:35:05 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732

=============

So "Dead Arm" is maybe not the right term for this injury or if it is and it's due to fatigue, that's very treatable.

But let's speculate for the sake of discussion (and another double Crown to treat my stress level), if this is nerve damage, what exactly would the diagnosis be for that. What would that injury be identified as and what is the treatment and typical timeline for recovery ?

I had pretty bad nerve damage in my early 30's in my right elbow. Hurt like hell for a few days and then went numb from my elbow to my wrist for 3 years. It had very little impact on function, however. I was able to play basketball, tennis and golf with no problems.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2024, 08:27:43 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I tend  to think we might see a full strength team tomorrow just because of what happened Monday.

I do not think the guys want to leave Atlanta like that especially heading into a tough game versus the pelicans
I’m thinking the same way. Embarrassment is a strong motivation. In fact, they could destroy the Hawks on Thursday night. They are capable.

« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2024, 12:03:41 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

I’m thinking the same way. Embarrassment is a strong motivation. In fact, they could destroy the Hawks on Thursday night. They are capable.

Vegas thinks so too.  The line was -10.5 for Monday’s game; it’s currently -16 for tomorrow.

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2024, 12:38:19 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 999

Vegas thinks so too.  The line was -10.5 for Monday’s game; it’s currently -16 for tomorrow.

Celtics were supposed to win that Monday game to make tomorrow's game a trap game lol.

Won't be surprised if refs make this their game.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2024, 12:50:13 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

Celtics were supposed to win that Monday game to make tomorrow's game a trap game lol.

Won't be surprised if refs make this their game.

Scott Foster was in Memphis tonight, so it’s not far for him to get to Atlanta.