Author Topic: Kevin Durant & Celtics???  (Read 10643 times)

Re: Kevin Durant & Celtics???
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2019, 02:01:57 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I don't see Durant being the type of player that will "challenge" himself by leaving the sure thing called Golden State Warriors. He had a chance to really make that type of statement a few years ago and he passed. 

It's simple for me, I don't want Davis here either unless we know he wants to resign. Before Danny pulls the trigger on getting rid of Jayson Tatum he better make very sure Davis will stay.

Because if he didn't and AD left, and we also lost Jayson Tatum... that for me it would be a hanging offense.

Agreed on everything. I know the thought of seeing in Durant in a Celtic uni is a very appealing thought, but I think it's also wishful thinking. If he was interested in Boston, then he would've signed here in 2016, when he was a free agent.

I also don't think he's going to leave Golden State either. He's already won 2 NBA titles and the Warriors are probably going to win a couple more before it's all said and done.  The dust-up with Green earlier in the season was completely overblown. Not only would the Warriors trade Draymond, but Steve Kerr would carry him on his back and walk him to the airport if it meant keeping Durant.

That's okay because I still think we are on the right path.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 02:14:43 PM by gpap »

« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2019, 02:17:51 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Durant's very likely gone but the odds of him coming here are extremely slim. Golden State might be willing to S+T for a year of Horford but I seriously doubt they'd do it for 2 of Hayward without him being close to 100% by the end of the season. Just not happening, and that's probably fine.

« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2019, 02:39:54 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Why would Golden State do that? It's one thing to get something in return for a player like KD, but you don't do that if it gives the other team a great chance at beating you in the finals. GS would be better served letting KD go to a bad team for no return than getting Horford/Hayward and a forst from us (especially since it would make sure they had money to keep Klay, etc.)

1- You dont waste any Steph years
2- You never let someone like Durant leave your team for nothing.

Giving Durant to the Celtics would make us a superteam. That would waste Curry's prime more than having a Curry/Thompson/Green core would.

Losing an asset for nothing matters when you are in an asset collection phase, but when you are contending you instead need to focus on what will most help/least harm your chances of winning it all. Trading the second best player in the world to an already good-to-great team would hurt their chances more than letting him join a non-contender like the Knicks or Clippers, even if they got nothing in return. The Curry/Klay/Green core won 73 games without KD, and they'll be fine if he leaves, too

And hayward reduces their odds?

How does that happen?

Cause I was advocating a hayward+ for durant.

I think any gm that is in championship contention would rather hayward and assets to nothing.

Hayward doesn't reduce their odds, us improving does.

Durant is better than Hayward - I don't think anyone would dispute that. So if we upgrade from Hayward to Durant, we will have improved. If they go from Durant to Hayward, they will get worse. If the Warriors think that Celtics+Durant have a better chance to beat them+Hayward than the Celtics with Hayward have of beating them without Durant, then trading Durant to us decreases their chances of winning a championship

Again, you are ignoring that the move is not made in a vacuum. Getting a player of Hayward's caliber is better than getting nothing, but sending Durant to us has a negative effect on their chances of winning a championship. They may feel like they are still better than us if they make a deal like that, but there's more to consider than "something is better than nothing
I'm bitter.

« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2019, 02:53:28 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Why would Golden State do that? It's one thing to get something in return for a player like KD, but you don't do that if it gives the other team a great chance at beating you in the finals. GS would be better served letting KD go to a bad team for no return than getting Horford/Hayward and a forst from us (especially since it would make sure they had money to keep Klay, etc.)

Giving Durant to the Celtics would make us a superteam. That would waste Curry's prime more than having a Curry/Thompson/Green core would.

Losing an asset for nothing matters when you are in an asset collection phase, but when you are contending you instead need to focus on what will most help/least harm your chances of winning it all. Trading the second best player in the world to an already good-to-great team would hurt their chances more than letting him join a non-contender like the Knicks or Clippers, even if they got nothing in return. The Curry/Klay/Green core won 73 games without KD, and they'll be fine if he leaves, too

How does that happen?

I think any gm that is in championship contention would rather hayward and assets to nothing.

Durant is better than Hayward - I don't think anyone would dispute that. So if we upgrade from Hayward to Durant, we will have improved. If they go from Durant to Hayward, they will get worse. If the Warriors think that Celtics+Durant have a better chance to beat them+Hayward than the Celtics with Hayward have of beating them without Durant, then trading Durant to us decreases their chances of winning a championship

Again, you are ignoring that the move is not made in a vacuum. Getting a player of Hayward's caliber is better than getting nothing, but sending Durant to us has a negative effect on their chances of winning a championship. They may feel like they are still better than us if they make a deal like that, but there's more to consider than "something is better than nothing

So that was alot of words.

Lets go with this...

Is hayward better than nothing?

Cause that is what you are advocating here.

Durant will make every single team better. So your point there is moot.

Even Durant to NYK makes them alot better, Durant to nyk with max capspace makes them even better again.

« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2019, 02:56:48 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

How does that happen?

Durant makes any team a contender. Question is would GS rather lose him for nothing or add a piece to maybe go for it with Curry/Thompson(if re-signed)/Green/Hayward. That’s still a very good team in the West. Maybe not the total monster it is now when all those guys are healthy but still championship contender.

« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2019, 03:32:22 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Why do we even think that Durant wants to come to Boston? Because of his previous free agency?

IMHO Boston does fit what he likely wants

« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2019, 03:34:10 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
It’s about 100 times more likely that he and Kyrie just go to the Knicks.

« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2019, 03:46:03 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Can we get Durant, Davis and Irving? Probably but we have no team left..be lot of G-league players on the team
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2019, 04:55:45 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
I still believe the target is KD...not AD. Just my opinion.

KDs favorite player was Bird.
KD was close to coming to Boston before.
KDs mom and Ainge have known each other since Texas.

A sign & trade for KD is doable. Warriors get nothing
If they don't.

Surely they would take Hayward and Brown...salaries should match up.

Kyrie
Smart
Tatum
KD
Horford (opts out and resigns for 3/30

Then if AD still wanted to come and sign long term, Ainge could give up Tatum and the picks.

Kyrie
Smart
KD
AD
Horford

Either scenario would be great but don't give up Tatum for a AD rental.

« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2019, 05:12:17 PM »

Offline Briantir

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 14
I still believe the target is KD...not AD. Just my opinion.

KDs favorite player was Bird.
KD was close to coming to Boston before.
KDs mom and Ainge have known each other since Texas.

A sign & trade for KD is doable. Warriors get nothing
If they don't.

Surely they would take Hayward and Brown...salaries should match up.

Kyrie
Smart
Tatum
KD
Horford (opts out and resigns for 3/30

Then if AD still wanted to come and sign long term, Ainge could give up Tatum and the picks.

Kyrie
Smart
KD
AD
Horford

Either scenario would be great but don't give up Tatum for a AD rental.

I think Durant's going to get his super Max from golden state... klay will get his and the team will part ways with Draymond...

That's what I'd do if I was GM of Warriors KD and Steph win championships not Draymond.

So it comes down to dray or Klay and I would pay Klay

« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2019, 05:20:36 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
Davis is 5 years younger.  I want Davis.
Me too but not for a 1 year rental and trading half ur team

I don't think he's a 1 year rental.
But in order to find out the answer, you have to gamble Tatum away. Ainge has to be beyond convinced he'll keep AD to trade Tatum, imo.

« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2019, 05:22:47 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
It’s about 100 times more likely that he and Kyrie just go to the Knicks.

Both scenarios are extraordinarily unlikely, imo. I can't see 2 NBA stars in their prime trusting what's left of their careers to James Dolan.

« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2019, 05:38:23 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson

How does that happen?

Durant makes any team a contender. Question is would GS rather lose him for nothing or add a piece to maybe go for it with Curry/Thompson(if re-signed)/Green/Hayward. That’s still a very good team in the West. Maybe not the total monster it is now when all those guys are healthy but still championship contender.

He wouldn't make anyone a contender. A team like the Knicks or Clippers would still be a couple of stars short (even Lebron needed 2 more all stars to win a championship)

And the Warriors without Durant will be contenders no matter what. That core won 73 games before Durant, and they'll still be great without him. They don't need Hayward for that
I'm bitter.

« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2019, 06:04:44 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson

How does that happen?

So that was alot of words.

Lets go with this...

Is hayward better than nothing?

Cause that is what you are advocating here.

Durant will make every single team better. So your point there is moot.

Even Durant to NYK makes them alot better, Durant to nyk with max capspace makes them even better again.

Again, you're not actually listening to what I'm saying. The Warriors would be better with Hayward than with nothing, but you keep ignoring my point that that doesn't necessarily mean it gives them a better chance at a championship.

Here's a simple question: if you're the Warriors, are you more concerned about being as good as you can be, or about being the best team in the NBA? (and, no, those are not the same thing)

If they trade us Durant and that makes us better than them (with Hayward), they're in a bad place. If they think they're still the best team in the NBA without Durant (like they were before he came), then as long as he doesn't make some other team better than they are (and no, the Knicks with Durant, or even Durant and Kyrie, would not be better than the Curry/Klay/Green core. That's why him going to a bad team isn't a problem), they are in a very good position

The Warriors are trying to be the best team in the NBA and win a championship. Bringing a top rival up to (or above) their level (which giving us Durant would do) could hurt their chances more than gaining Hayward helps them. It's better to lose an asset for nothing and stay as the best team than to make another team better than you just to say that you got something in return
I'm bitter.

« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2019, 12:28:58 AM »

Offline C3LTSF4N

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41
Lol that’s funny ^

Good point Jim