Author Topic: We're officially past the midway point of the season  (Read 1655 times)

We're officially past the midway point of the season
« on: January 13, 2019, 09:16:58 AM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
We're over halfway through the season now at 42 games played the Celtics are at 25-17.

What grade would you give them so far?

Do you think they still have a chance to turn it around? Or is this just what they are?

Will Ainge make any moves by the trade deadline?

Do you think we still have a chance to make it to the finals?

Personally I would give them a C- so far. I know they're doing well statistically in certain areas but we keep losing to teams we shouldn't lose to and it will effect our playoff standings. At this rate I predict we'll be occupying the 4th or 5th spot in the East which is absolutely insane given our team make-up. From that position even making it to the ECF is going to be unlikely.

Re: We're officially past the midway point of the season
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 09:21:15 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 365
thing is, they still have time to get it together. I think we can move to at least the 3 spot. Team just needs to play more consistent and other teams need to slip. They only seem to get up for games against the playoff teams, and then play lackadaisical against the teams like Miami and Orlando.

What the young guys dont seem to get is the Wins count exactly the same. You cant coast against bad teams and expect to win.

I think Danny needs to make a trade. Brad and the team have had half a season to figure it out and we are still as inconsistent as ever. Danny need to trade some of the supposed "depth" away to open up shots for guys like Hayward/Brown.

Either that or Brad needs to shorten the rotation.

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 10:10:15 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 658
  • MASTER OF PANIC
This season has been a failure. They do not correct the issues and they have zero chemistry.

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 10:15:10 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I give the team a C. Some highs and a lot of lows. This team is the same as Charlotte & Detroit now. We are NOT upper echelon. We will make the playoffs and get bounced in the first round. We can't win a road game against bad teams we certainly are not going to do it against good teams. Now it's like have to wait until summer and see if we can trade for AD and if Kyrie stays like he said he would. If he had to make his decision on that now I think he would leave.

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 10:19:00 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
If kyrie leaves this summer we go back to where we were last June  8)... then if we can flip Hayward and picks for Davis we will be ok.

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 10:33:04 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
The team has plenty of time to get it together in regards to playing great basketball heading into the playoffs.  I still believe that they will elevate their play in the post-season.  Unfortunately, this doesn't solve the seeding issue.  I don't think a 2010 path to the Finals is realistic for this group.  They need to find a way to catch Milwaukee before the season is over.  As for Toronto, they won't lose their #1 spot unless injuries hit hard.

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2019, 11:00:38 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
If kyrie leaves this summer we go back to where we were last June  8)... then if we can flip Hayward and picks for Davis we will be ok.

Why would he want to come here if we lose Kyrie & Hayward & picks. I think he wants to compete for a championship not just change locations.

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2019, 11:44:21 AM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74

Why would he want to come here if we lose Kyrie & Hayward & picks. I think he wants to compete for a championship not just change locations.

Personally I think we'd be pretty good with AD, Tatum and Jaylen at our core, probably better than we are right now and certainly a lot better than the current pelicans. We know Jaylen and Jason step up when they move up the chain.

Sometimes I think that without Kyrie we play better basketball overall as a team. He's possibly the most skilled offensive player in the nba but he may not work well with this group of guys. Who's to say that Kyrie and AD would work well together?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 01:28:14 PM by CF033 »

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2019, 12:00:09 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
On pace for around 50 wins and plenty of time left to figure it out. I don’t believe Danny is trading anyone until the summer though. He will not risk a bigger trade then and now makes little sense for support parts and not leaders. Still think we end up near 55 wins and clicking towards the end. East is wide open with beatable talent at the top.

Worst case scenario- If descension starts brewing at higher level though, Kyrie might not be as loyal to us as we are thinking. That in turn would kill Davis hopes as well as why would he come here then if Kyrie decides to bolt. Who knows what Kyrie and Danny speak about though, he could be telling him don’t worry, we will build this team for you very soon.

Rest of season wshould be interesting. Nothing that a long winning streak won’t cure. Now, a long losing streak could be like iceberg that hit Titanic. Much more likely big winning streak is coming soon.

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2019, 01:28:36 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Obviously not happy with the team, but is still believe it will be different in the playoffs.

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2019, 01:28:55 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969

thats exactly right . 

The only chance is if Boston has Irving .   It sure would help though , if Hayward would startnplaying like he is being paid ,  be vocal and a leader on court .  He is NOT earning his keep . Too many disappearing acts during a game .  He needs to be  in the thick of things making the C move and play hard when he is on court .

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2019, 02:55:22 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
At this point I'm expecting this team to end up as a fourth or fifth seed, and I think we just need to hope they step up in the playoffs and make a deep run despite having a tough matchup from the first round on.

The hard thing about that is this team is not good on the road going back to last season. I don't think they can beat one of the better teams in the conference without HCA.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2019, 04:27:35 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
At this point I'm expecting this team to end up as a fourth or fifth seed, and I think we just need to hope they step up in the playoffs and make a deep run despite having a tough matchup from the first round on.

The hard thing about that is this team is not good on the road going back to last season. I don't think they can beat one of the better teams in the conference without HCA.

Chance is big that Toronto will get the 1st seed, in that case it ain't that bad to finish 4th or 5th, because we'll avoid Milwaukee before the conference finals, so if that's the way it ends up I like 4th or 5th better than 3rd.

I think the Celtics can win a series against Indiana or Philadelphia even without HCA. The 2nd round will be very tough, but I'd rather play Toronto there than Milwaukee without HCA. And maybe Milwaukee will make a mistake and get eliminated before the conference finals.

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2019, 04:54:07 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I  give them a C+