Author Topic: Heated between Morris and Brown during timeout in Miami  (Read 8814 times)

Re: Heated between Morris and Brown during timeout in Miami
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2019, 01:46:20 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
At the 3 second mark Jaylen puts his hand to his head so he may have gotten hit in the head.

CBS is losing this team.....there is absolutely no veteran leadership on the team. Al is too soft, CBS is soft.....Smart may be to young to assume the leadership position. This team is too immature.

Only this is true of what you said. Yes he's loosing it, I'm afraid. This team needs a superstar. Irving is not the one. He's great, but not a superstar. AD is what we need. Ainge should put all chips in...

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2019, 02:01:03 AM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1672
I don’t care about the shove.  Nonissue.

I do worry some about Jaylen’s headspace though.  I think he’s much more emotional than he appears, and it reflects in his play.  If he makes some plays, it snowballs and he turns into a monster.  If he doesn’t, it snowballs the other way with poor effort and mental mistakes.  And I’m not sure anybody on the team knows how to talk to him.  The vocal, confrontational style of Smart and Morris doesn’t appear to do it. 

Jackie MacMullan talked about it at length in an article last month.  I’ll dig that up tomorrow if anybody wants it.  The gist was that Jaylen is dealing with some mental adversity relating to his role and his production that he hasn’t conquered just yet, and my takeaway was that he’ll largely have to come to terms with that on his own.  His teammates can’t help him.

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2019, 02:31:00 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

I do worry some about Jaylen’s headspace though.  I think he’s much more emotional than he appears, and it reflects in his play.  If he makes some plays, it snowballs and he turns into a monster.  If he doesn’t, it snowballs the other way with poor effort and mental mistakes.  And I’m not sure anybody on the team knows how to talk to him.  The vocal, confrontational style of Smart and Morris doesn’t appear to do it. 

Jackie MacMullan talked about it at length in an article last month.  I’ll dig that up tomorrow if anybody wants it.  The gist was that Jaylen is dealing with some mental adversity relating to his role and his production that he hasn’t conquered just yet, and my takeaway was that he’ll largely have to come to terms with that on his own.  His teammates can’t help him.

I’d appreciate a link to article.

I get that it’s difficult for him, and maybe he sees the writing is on the wall that he may not have a place on this team as a star (which he rightly should believe he can become). I mean between Kyrie getting a super max, Smart getting a healthy contract, Gordon back, and Tatum getting all the buzz since the playoffs... how is he not the odd man out (similar to Terry)?

I’m sure he loves being a Celtic and wants to be here, but can his career really be maximized here? Does he want to be held down here behind others when he can go grow faster elsewhere?

Ainge’s hands are tied this season when we all know who he’s fishing for, so this season they are all going to have to sacrifice if they want to make a serious run at a title.

As tough as it’s been for Brown, a third-year player, can you imagine how it’s been for Hayward? He’s a former all-star and leader of his own team, max player, horrible injury and lengthy rehab... and your college coach asks YOU to come off the bench?! He’s taken it in stride when you know it had to hurt his pride and confidence trying to get back to form from that type of injury.

Brown needs to look at the big picture. No idea what tonight’s little thing was about, as Morris can be a knucklehead, so I won’t read too much into it. But he can’t pout like he clearly wants to.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2019, 05:23:41 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Rather have Morris than Brown..hope they resign Morris
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2019, 05:55:59 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88

I get that it’s difficult for him, and maybe he sees the writing is on the wall that he may not have a place on this team as a star (which he rightly should believe he can become). I mean between Kyrie getting a super max, Smart getting a healthy contract, Gordon back, and Tatum getting all the buzz since the playoffs... how is he not the odd man out (similar to Terry)?

I’m sure he loves being a Celtic and wants to be here, but can his career really be maximized here? Does he want to be held down here behind others when he can go grow faster elsewhere?

Ainge’s hands are tied this season when we all know who he’s fishing for, so this season they are all going to have to sacrifice if they want to make a serious run at a title.

As tough as it’s been for Brown, a third-year player, can you imagine how it’s been for Hayward? He’s a former all-star and leader of his own team, max player, horrible injury and lengthy rehab... and your college coach asks YOU to come off the bench?! He’s taken it in stride when you know it had to hurt his pride and confidence trying to get back to form from that type of injury.

Brown needs to look at the big picture. No idea what tonight’s little thing was about, as Morris can be a knucklehead, so I won’t read too much into it. But he can’t pout like he clearly wants to.
Even if it's true it's not an excuse for playing lazy, he is getting paid million dollars to play basketball as a job, it's simple work ethic, he is embarrassing the game and himself

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2019, 06:45:59 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25502202/jaylen-brown-new-journey-why-important-boston-celtics-nba

I've always thought Brown was the odd one out, even more so than Rozier. Rozier at least is behind a top-25 NBA player in Kyrie, mentally it's easier to reconcile being on the bench behind him than for Brown to deal with losing his starting spot to Marcus Smart, who (along with Morris) was on the bench all of last year while Brown started. Meanwhile Tatum who Brown took under his wing last year has supplanted him both in points, in hype and in reputation.

That's got to be tough for Jaylen and you have to have a lot of self belief and confidence (which comes from years of experience) to not let that affect you. I'm sure it's difficult for Gordon to deal with being on the bench as but he's got eight years in the NBA, he's built a name for himself and he's recovering from an injury which might make it easier for him mentally to accept the sacrifice in order to win a championship. Plus Gordon is usually in the team in the closing minutes of any tight game, which shows how important Brad considers him. Jaylen is a third year player trying to make a name for himself and probably feels that he is being surpassed by both newcomers and older players that he was once ahead of.

I'm sympathetic to him but unfortunately that's the way it is and these are the types of experiences that either make you or break you as a player, and as a person. There is real competition for starting spots in this team and everyone has to find a way to adjust. End of day you're a professional and you do the job to the best of your ability even if it's not the job you want to do.

As for tonight's little thing, it's the video at the bottom of this article.

https://www.celticsblog.com/2019/1/10/18177989/jaylen-brown-marcus-morris-scuffle-during-timeout-vs-miami-heat-boston-celtics

Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2019, 07:46:16 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I think we should give Brown a little bit of a break.  He is a 21 year old kid that seems to have had some injuries this year (plantar fasciitis early November, back spasms late November, wrist recently) that we really don’t know the extent of or if still lingering holding him back in any way.   Think Morris early last year with the knee woes, but seems pretty healthy now. 

I say just be patient with him, and see how the rest of the year turns out.  It’s a long season.

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2019, 08:12:24 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1547
I will almost always side with the player that is not named Morris in these things.  Morris is a hot head and has been his whole career.  This situation strikes me as no different.

I'm on Team Brown.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2019, 08:34:50 AM »

Offline elcotte

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 52
Good for Morris. Brown needs to get his head into the game more.

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2019, 08:39:22 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I will almost always side with the player that is not named Morris in these things.  Morris is a hot head and has been his whole career.  This situation strikes me as no different.

I'm on Team Brown.

Yeah, mark me down for Team Brown, as well. Morris has been playing out of his mind this season, but he isn't the long-term solution for this team moving forward. It's too bad Hayward wasn't playing like his former self earlier this season or we probably would have kept rolling with the Horford/Tatum/Hayward/Brown/Irving line-up and everything would be as expected with the 'hierarchy' of this team.

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2019, 08:41:12 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Brown has been fine IMO,

3rd year player, 22 years old, role has drastically changed over and over during his tenure with the team.

Plantar Fasciitis which is no easy thing to shake, wrist injury, back spasms.....

he has been fine.

If it was Tatum people would be screaming for Morris' head.

Morris is for Morris, always has been, always will be.

IMO, biggest issues on this team is having 2 max players that cannot contribute as max players....Hayward and Horford.

Personally I think Horford is better as a PF and would rather keep him.

Rozier has been bad because he is a scorer off the bench, that is his roll, spot starter sometimes....with Hayward and brown off the bench it reduces roziers effectiveness.

Morris in the starting lineup has reduced Browns effectiveness.

its a vicious cycle.

Team would be better if Baynes was able to start, pushing Horford to the PF spot, Tatum at SF and Brown at SG

I hope that Danny is shopping Morris and Rozier and putting out feelers on Hayward.

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2019, 08:41:18 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Horford is the only one who helps make his teammates better.

Tatum and Kyrie just take from others. Morris too. All too shot happy and/or ball-dominant.

Nobody is helping Jaylen find his groove in this new-look team. I am not mad at a young player for being inconsistent in this situation (Kyrie is the one I am most mad at - he is the vet).

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2019, 08:56:43 AM »

Offline 10610786d

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 27
How about Ma

Tatum and Kyrie just take from others. Morris too. All too shot happy and/or ball-dominant.

Nobody is helping Jaylen find his groove in this new-look team. I am not mad at a young player for being inconsistent in this situation (Kyrie is the one I am most mad at - he is the vet).

What about Marcus Smart!

I love that he held JB and talked some sense into him.

And also, Mook was giving vet advise too!

Glass half empty/half full situation here in my opinion. All I see is a bunch of guys who care!

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2019, 09:01:36 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
How about Ma

What about Marcus Smart!

Glass half empty/half full situation here in my opinion. All I see is a bunch of guys who care!

It's not about words. It is about actions on the court. Creating opportunities to get your teammate going. To make your teammate feel involved in the offense.

Players always play better when they are engaged. That is why Larry Brown gave Ben Wallace a post up now and then. To keep him (fully) engaged on defense & as a rebounder.

Jaylen's inconsistency on defense is from inconsistent involvment in offense. It is not about his teammates running their mouths. It is about making sure they get him the ball and get involved on offense. Get some easy baskets. Get him going. Get him more engaged in the game. He is only a youngster.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 09:10:09 AM by Who »

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2019, 09:07:03 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
How about Ma

What about Marcus Smart!

Smart can do it a bit but he doesn't have the offensive talent to help guys too much. It is more on the high usage players -- Kyrie, Tatum, Horford, Morris, Hayward.

Hayward has his own troubles with his health so I am not expecting this from him. He has a good balanced game anyway. Horford is a superb teammate. Morris is an offensively selfish role player. Not expecting much from him. Tatum is a young one like Jaylen. Not expecting either of those guys to do this. So I am looking to Kyrie to provide Horford more help.

Horford needs some help. He cannot be the only one (out of Kyrie, Tatum, Hayward, Jaylen, Horford) who is responsible for providing balance to the team by keeping everyone involved on offense.

And Hayward when he gets healthier, will provide more help too.

Tatum and Jaylen is further down the road. Years rather than months. Neither came into the league with the type of game to do these things and they are hard to develop. It will take a lot of time.