Poll

The Celtics are struggling so far because

they need an upgrade in talent, Danny Ainge has to make a trade soon (preferably for a center).
6 (2.9%)
the roster is too deep, Danny Ainge has to trade away a player to free up minutes.
14 (6.9%)
they need a clear direction, either trade away young talent or build for the future.
3 (1.5%)
of chemistry issues, it's on Brad Stevens to fix this, since the roster is formidable.
31 (15.2%)
they play too many players, Brad Stevens needs to shorten the rotation, make hard choices.
15 (7.4%)
they play too small, Brad Stevens has to play our bigs more for rebounding and rim protection.
13 (6.4%)
the playing style is too dependent on making (3-point) jump shots, it needs to be changed.
30 (14.7%)
the young guys have too much ego after last year's playoffs, coach has to straighten them out.
22 (10.8%)
everybody is worried about their stats, they need to play with more effort and unselfishness.
18 (8.8%)
Gordon Hayward isn't playing like we hoped, he's a huge problem right now.
21 (10.3%)
of injuries, they have been very unfortunate, with everybody healthy there's no problem.
26 (12.7%)
Terry Rozier does a bad job running the offense of the second unit.
4 (2%)
for another reason (call it in this topic).
1 (0.5%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Voting closed: May 21, 2019, 08:01:39 PM

Author Topic: What are the Celtics' problems during the 2018/19 season? (max 4 votes)  (Read 3284 times)

Online RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
I hope this can be a general topic, to discuss reasons why the Celtics are struggling so far to meet expectation prior this season.

What needs to be done, changed or improved?

Has general manager Danny Ainge not made enough moves yet to perceive the Celtics as a contender in the NBA?

Does Coach Brad Stevens have to make some changes in his rotation or playing system?

Is it a lack of effort and attitude problems by the players? And if so, who needs a hard lesson?

Or have the Celtics just been unlucky and do we just have to be patient?

Re: What are the Celtics' problems during the 2018/19 season? (max 4 votes)
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 07:08:32 PM »

Offline Kaz

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 73
Horford and Morris being hurt sucks, but the main issue here is the over-dependence on jacking up threes.  It's very ugly to see a team just jack up threes and never drive to the hoop; it's like watching the pre-Durant Dubs having a bad quarter except the Celtics don't have Steph and Klay.

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 08:58:00 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Horford and Morris being hurt sucks, but the main issue here is the over-dependence on jacking up threes.  It's very ugly to see a team just jack up threes and never drive to the hoop; it's like watching the pre-Durant Dubs having a bad quarter except the Celtics don't have Steph and Klay.

yup,  that three strategies goes out the window without Curry on your team.  Same as the Lebron and no real center Heat strategy.   Thats all fine if you have one of those two guys in their prime.

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2018, 01:25:44 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Hayward needs more time to get back into form.

The young guys are a playing like young guys.

Horford has missed a significant chunk of time.

The offense doesn't generate enough free throws.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2018, 09:06:54 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
1.  Hayward starting the season when he clearly wasn’t ready for it.   We probably should have started him off the bench to begin the season, and we waited until we were roughly 10-10 to make changes in the lineup.

2. Brown has not been the same player aside from a few very good games (mostly lately).  He was reported to have plantar fasciitis in early November, and lower back spasms in late November.  Nagging injuries can’t be understated when affecting an explosive athlete whose skills are still a little raw and developing.  Last game at least he looked like his old self.

3.  I haven’t looked at shot charts or anything like that, but Tatum seems to be taking way more long 2’s than he should be, and resorting to a little too much iso ball. 

4. Rozier is having a hard time playing well in a reduced role.  I feared this.  I do like him playing with Hayward, and letting Hayward doing more of the olaymaking off the bench.  I would not be surprised to see Rozier traded by the deadline.

5.  Obviously not having Horford recently has had a big effect.   Maybe by having Horford and Baynes and Morris for that matter we win 2 out of the last 3 games we are singing a different tune, rather than some of us in panic mode.

6.  Morris’s 3 point shooting is way above what he has done in other years.  I am worried that he will revert back to old percentages, but I’m hopeful this is the new norm.  I wouldn’t be surprised though if he is flipped at the deadline as well.

7.  It took Irving a handful of games to get going this season, but I do love the way he has been playing, even defensively.

8. Horford, and even Baynes are important to this team.  It’s to give a true grade of this team or whatever you want to call it while they are out.

9. Patience! We have the talent.  Give Hayward a long leash, but we are finally starting to see some signs of his old self.  We might still be a while away from his true old self.  Brown and Tatum are only 21 and 20.  At that age they are going to have ups and downs.  I believe in holding onto their talent unless we are trading for Davis. Ha

10. I do love the move at least short term having Smart in the starting lineup.  We were getting torched by shooting guards prior to that change, and that has slowed down.

11.  Don’t get too high or low after each game. Some unsuspecting player starts draining 3’s like Thon Maker don’t get discouraged. Lol. It happens. 

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2018, 09:23:49 AM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
The frontcourt is decimated and Williams can't be relied upon for rotation minutes (he's fine for spot minutes).  Don't know if this is feasible, but I'd like to see J. Bird get released and the C's pick up a big man for a 10-day contract.  The backcourt is healthy currently and both Wannamaker and Dozier can put in minutes. 

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2018, 09:36:26 AM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
I may take some flack for this but I think that Gordon Hayward is our major problem right now. He is pushing other guys down the totem pole like Jaylen Brown causing uncertainty in the lineup and he is struggling majorly of to get back on track. I believe if he weren't in the lineup and the guys below him were more assured of their roles on this team (thus playing with more confidence) we'd be in a much better position. I don't know, I think if we went back to last year's lineup Jaylen would return to form.

Now if Gordon can truly return to his all-star state this argument goes out the window.

Another argument that could be made is that maybe we are TOO flexible. Our lineups can change game after game after game. There's something to be said about having a few guys that you know are going to be the priorities every night. Right now outside of Kyrie we don't know who the next guys are going to be consistently.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 09:42:20 AM by CF033 »

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2018, 10:28:54 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
I believe it's mostly about team chemistry (plus the fact that Hayward isn't 100% ready yet). Still confident we are gonna be firing on all cylinders come playoff time.

Having said that, imo Brown is a bad fit next to the rest of our starters. In all honesty, I'd be inclined to trade him, although I don't expect Danny to sell low on him.

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2018, 12:25:46 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
You had great reasons and this one is sort of close...I chose "other"

They do not have defined roles and, if the role is to "feed Kyrie?"

They're not going to win anything.

Step one:
Auerbach signed Larry
Step two:
Met with Cedric Maxwell..."you are a defensive player now."
Step three:
Win titles

Last years roles are over. Take the GD rebuilt team, give everybody their role and let them have at it. All these players know their role...

Smart is ok
Baynes is hurt but ok
Horford is ok
Morris is ok
Irving is Irving

Theis is ok

The rest of the players on this team are a train wreck .

"What am I supposed to do now?"

It's a disaster and Stevens can't rely on statistical analysis to get him out of it.

Switching line ups isn't how you build a team.

They should just watch Auerbach clips for a day and then get on building a freaking team.

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2018, 12:49:47 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
It's a long list shooting, shot selection, bad pick and roll/pop defense, lapses in rotation defense, 9 to 11 players on this squad having embarassing on ball defense, collectively the fast break offense is ugly.

They need a lot of improvement everywhere. I'd consider trading for guys that buy into being defenders first. But the shooting is so sketchy already you have to make sure if you get a defender he is an elite one. They had a meeting so hopefully everyone gets more committed to make good plays and playing hard.

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2018, 01:50:17 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164

The offense doesn't generate enough free throws.

Definitely an under-discussed issue.

Are you encouraged by the Bucks game, then? I am, though there's obviously more to the story.                         
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2018, 02:32:34 AM »

Offline PatrickLencioni

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 5
We have too many great players, and that means none of them gets the time and confidence they need.  And we have a much different, or maybe confused, identity this year,  Last year was Brad Stevens bringing a college-like attitude about defense and teamwork.  This year it feels more like allowing superstars to do what they want.  Frankly, I think Kyrie is one of the most talented players I've ever seen, and a nice guy.  But he's just not a team player  It's not about stats. It's about being entitled to do whatever you want.  He's a superstar.  It's not the same thing as being a team guy, especially in a Brad Stevens system. 

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2018, 06:57:47 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 731
Cannot believe the number of people who are so down on Gordon Hayward.

Anyone remember how long it took Paul George to get back to 100% after his serious injury. I don't think Hayward will be back to his old self until next season - so Celtic fans need to get off the guy's back. As tough a possibility as this may be , this season may turn out to be one of maturation and figuring out the roster - so we can enjoy some titles during the next decade.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2018, 08:56:49 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 365
To be honest, its time for Danny to trade Rozier. Right now he is going to leave us and we are going to get nothing for it, and he isnt giving us much on the court. Last night his shots went in, but I saw the same ball-hogging I did previously.

It would also open up minutes for guys who are supposed to be a part of our future like Jaylen Brown to maybe gain some confidence.

also, its nearly been half a season. Its time for Hayward to stop using the "easing in" excuse and go out there and play agressive.

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2018, 05:26:43 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Cannot believe the number of people who are so down on Gordon Hayward.

Anyone remember how long it took Paul George to get back to 100% after his serious injury. I don't think Hayward will be back to his old self until next season - so Celtic fans need to get off the guy's back. As tough a possibility as this may be , this season may turn out to be one of maturation and figuring out the roster - so we can enjoy some titles during the next decade.

True, which is an excellent reason why he should have been coming off the bench from the start of the season. And also, Irving, to a lesser degree. Kyrie seems back to 100% at this point.

Instead, the brain trust chose to play the money, and the start was a slow one.

A separate issue is this is a running/defensive team that relies on athleticism, and Hayward is more an offensive player.