Author Topic: 2020 Historic Draft: How’s My Team Look: Conference Finals winners announced!!  (Read 88641 times)

Re: 2020 Historic Draft: How’s My Team Look
« Reply #180 on: March 30, 2020, 03:21:08 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Toronto Raptors

PG: Kyle Lowry, Kemba Walker
SG: Vince Carter
SF: Khris Middleton, Luol Deng
PF: Kevin Garnett
C: David Robinson, Vlade Divac

Help me out by sharing more of your vision of your team.  How do you imagine your offense to run?  I feel like you drafted KG from the start because of his ability to be extremely productive while seamlessly fitting in along other stars.  So is he a "fitting in piece" or "focal piece" of your offense?  I think he has to become a focal piece because Lowry-VC-Middleton generated offense is not going to compete with the other offenses in this league, IMO.  So give us more of your take on how you imagine your offense to run and it will allow me to give a better assessment.

Without that, I initially think your starting offense could use a pinch more spark in it and Kemba would be a better starting PG with Lowry being your bench PG.  Kemba can move to SG in pinches if you want to play him and Lowry together, which I'm guessing you already envisioned.

I'm curious to hear other people's takes on Khris Middleton too if he's more of a role player or an offense creator in this league.  I tend to think he's more of a role player in this league, but I think you think otherwise.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #181 on: March 30, 2020, 03:22:43 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Toronto Raptors

My guess is you're going to be a running team?

Your Bigs are long and athletic......

Love your SG-SF scoring options..VC and Kris are good defensively as well.

Love Kyle Lowry's toughness.
Yeah, I intend to play a five-out offence that pushes the pace whenever possible (we don't have one singular offensive engine to push the pace, but I think my team has a synergistic playmaking effect - all 5 of my starters are at least reasonably good passers).
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #182 on: March 30, 2020, 03:37:31 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Please take this as one man’s opinion, and don’t take it personally, ok?

I think the four “best” teams — which is different than my “favorite” teams — are:

1. Milwaukee
2. Utah
3. Philadelphia
4. Boston

Probably not coincidentally, Shaq, Lebron and Durant would have all been in my top-four draft selections (with Duncan being the other).  That said, it’s important to note that those guys didn’t win every year.  Shaq only won four titles, and one of those was due to Wade.  Lebron has, relative to his talent, stacked teams, and relatively weak era, has “only” won three times.

I say that not to disparage individual players, but to point out that team construction matters more than having the top handful of guys in the league.  So why select these three?  I think they offer the best combo of elite talent and fit.

But, I could say something nice about every team in this exercise.  It’s the first year in just about any of these drafts that almost every single pick is defensible.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #183 on: March 30, 2020, 03:40:39 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
I think the four “best” teams are:

1. Milwaukee

Ha, no bias here right?

If you're not voting yourself #1 you're doing it wrong!

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #184 on: March 30, 2020, 03:45:02 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I think the four “best” teams are:

1. Milwaukee

Ha, no bias here right?

If you're not voting yourself #1 you're doing it wrong!

Lol.  No doubt, which is why I didn’t explain the pick.  Also, I’m not writing 20,000 words pimping my team like back in the day.  That led to way too much competitiveness, which is bad for all. The

That said, biased or not, I’m pretty psyched about the team.  I don’t think I could have built a better overall team than I did.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #185 on: March 30, 2020, 03:45:23 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Milwaukee Bucks:

C: Alonzo Mourning
F: Karl Malone / Serge Ibaka
F: Giannis Antetokounmpo / Jayson Tatum
G: Manu Ginobili
G:  Mike Conley / Derrick Rose

Hey Roy, good team you've got here.  I didn't love your original 3-4-5 as much as others seemed to early on without seeing your guards, but I think you made some good picks.

One comment/suggestion/critique is that I think you've got a bit of a logjam at PF.  I'd like to see Giannis slide to the 4 some (I had him listed primarily as a PF in my predraft rankings).  He's got the size to matchup defensively there and it's generally easier to find floor spreading SFs than PFs.  Also, you kind of need him to play some PF or otherwise Tatum is playing only the minutes Giannis sits, which I imagine isn't that many, and you're not getting a ton of use out of Tatum.

I know that Zo and Malone can shoot midrange jumpers (like 80% of the bigs selected in this game can), but defenders aren't going to be glued to them out there.  Teams PF and C defenders will still be in some help position along with SF defenders playing with essentially two feet in the lane.  I do think things will get clogged up a bit.  I'd like to see Tatum start at SF, Giannis at PF, Zo at C and either bring Malone off the bench or trade him for other value.  That's just what *I* would like to see.

Also, I'm a big Derrick Rose fan.  I think Rose / Manu / Tatum / Giannis / Zo would be an electric and also highly complementary starting 5.  I'm not as big of a Conley fan as you are in this game (however I am in real life), but I think he's a fine backup point guard or you could use Manu in pinches as point guard the same way SAS used to.  I might be in the minority here though.  I drafted Rose in the all-time CB Draft as my backup point guard and envisioned him being my main creator of offense off the bench, which speaks to how highly I think of him.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #186 on: March 30, 2020, 03:59:41 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Milwaukee Bucks:

Hey Roy, good team you've got here.  I didn't love your original 3-4-5 as much as others seemed to early on without seeing your guards, but I think you made some good picks.

One comment/suggestion/critique is that I think you've got a bit of a logjam at PF.  I'd like to see Giannis slide to the 4 some (I had him listed primarily as a PF in my predraft rankings).  He's got the size to matchup defensively there and it's generally easier to find floor spreading SFs than PFs.  Also, you kind of need him to play some PF or otherwise Tatum is playing only the minutes Giannis sits, which I imagine isn't that many, and you're not getting a ton of use out of Tatum.

I know that Zo and Malone can shoot midrange jumpers (like 80% of the bigs selected in this game can), but defenders aren't going to be glued to them out there.  Teams PF and C defenders will still be in some help position along with SF defenders playing with essentially two feet in the lane.  I do think things will get clogged up a bit.  I'd like to see Tatum start at SF, Giannis at PF, Zo at C and either bring Malone off the bench or trade him for other value.  That's just what *I* would like to see.

Also, I'm a big Derrick Rose fan.  I think Rose / Manu / Tatum / Giannis / Zo would be an electric and also highly complementary starting 5.  I'm not as big of a Conley fan as you are in this game (however I am in real life), but I think he's a fine backup point guard or you could use Manu in pinches as point guard the same way SAS used to.  I might be in the minority here though.  I drafted Rose in the all-time CB Draft as my backup point guard and envisioned him being my main creator of offense off the bench, which speaks to how highly I think of him.

This is a political answer, but I don’t get too caught up in lineups.  My theory has always been that I’m the GM, not the coach.  The coach decides the lineups and rotation.

That said, it’s fun to discuss them.  The best thing about Giannis — other than his absolute dominance on both ends — is his versatility.  In his short career, he has had years where he played the plurality of his time at PF (3 seasons), SF (2 seasons), SG (1 season) and PG (1 season).  He’s played a ton of center, too.  He will play all over on my team.  I mean, one potential small-ball lineup is Ibaka / Giannis / Tatum / Manu / Conley.  That’s four 3PT shooters and five excellent defenders.  But we will also be playing plenty of bully-ball with Zo, Malone, Rose and Giannis.

And, I don’t worry about a clogged lane.  That underrates Giannis’ ability to attack defenses.  Guys don’t score 30 ppg in 30 mpg without being able to to score against any defense.  And, I’m happy with him kicking out to our guards. 

Thanks for the feedback.

« Reply #187 on: March 30, 2020, 06:30:31 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Oklahoma City Thunder after 8 rounds.

PG: Jrue Holiday  / Isaiah Thomas
SG: Paul George /  Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Jermaine O'Neal
C : Ben Wallace

Still debating if JO would start over LMA, but for now, that's how it stands. Heck, maybe he can start over Ben Wallace too, although I like Big Ben's toughness and grit there for now.

Digging our IT4 pick, but it does kind of make Bradley Beal redundant, even though we like what he can bring as far as top flight scoring and a little bit of playmaking.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #188 on: March 30, 2020, 06:32:10 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Toronto Raptors

I like your last two picks.

Kemba Walker can provide an extra scoring punch coming off the bench, and would not hesitate to defer if he needs to. I like what Vlade brings. He brings a more finesse, playmaking style from the Center spot, so you can go in any direction as far as style of play.

Nicely put team.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #189 on: March 30, 2020, 08:10:30 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
gouki, how are you thinking about lineups and shooting? Looking at the team, it jumps out that it started as very shooting heavy (e.g., Curry and Redd) with a playmaker at the wing and an electrifying big man. Your latest picks (Noah, Odom, Bynum) aren't exactly floor spacers, but they're massive. If you're running two of Curry, Williams, and Redd alongside a combination of Hill and Odom at the 3, Odom and Brand at the 4, and those bigs, do you think you have enough floor spacing? Are Williams and Redd enough if Curry is sitting, or would you look for a stretch wing or big in the next round? I'm super interested because the composition and maybe identity of your team has changed so drastically in the past 24 hours.
It is interesting that you bring this up, because my next two targets are going to be shooters on the wing. I think my team is still in that 2011 Chicago Bulls mould to a certain extent - at least the starting lineup is. I’ve personally gone with the strategy of wanting quite different looks off my bench, as it’s just more fun for me that way. I think once the 9th round is done (I’ve got two picks in the 9th, none in the 10th) I’ll be able to revisit this with some shooting added to my bench.

Also, the seasons I’m choosing for D-Will and Odom aren’t necessarily bad shooting years. I’m choosing ‘09-‘10 for D-Will, where he shot 37% on 3.4 3PA a game, and I’m choosing ‘05-‘06, where he shot 37% on 2.7 3PA. Obviously not lasers from deep, but above average (especially at the time for Odom) shooting which helps space the floor for Bynum, who can dominate nearly anyone on the low post. It also helps that I have two well above average passers off the bench. I think choosing a season of Odom’s where he was shooting well is key to maintaining the floor spacing of this team.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #190 on: March 30, 2020, 08:17:31 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Milwaukee Bucks:

I’ve already given a few thoughts on this team, but I have a question - do you know which Serge Ibaka you’re going to have? The better shooter (and all-round offensive played) that we’ve seen recently, or the shot-blocker extraordinaire we saw in OKC?

« Reply #191 on: March 30, 2020, 09:01:12 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Milwaukee Bucks:

I’ve already given a few thoughts on this team, but I have a question - do you know which Serge Ibaka you’re going to have? The better shooter (and all-round offensive played) that we’ve seen recently, or the shot-blocker extraordinaire we saw in OKC?

I’m still debating.  I’m leaning toward the 2 blocks / high 3P% version, although 3.7 blocks is enticing.

« Reply #192 on: March 30, 2020, 09:01:42 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
Now for my team: Denver Nuggets:
PG: Gary Payton/Kyrie Irving
SG: Rip Hamilton
SF: Carmelo Anthony/Glenn Robinson
PF: Draymond Green
C: Tim Duncan/DeMarcus Cousins

If anyone has any suggestions/critiques, please let me know! If you feel like giving specific suggestions, you can pm me. I'd definitely appreciate it!
I think I'm just keep reposting this after every couple of rounds, just changing with each player I select.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #193 on: March 30, 2020, 09:05:58 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
Oklahoma City Thunder after 8 rounds.

PG: Jrue Holiday  / Isaiah Thomas
SG: Paul George /  Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Jermaine O'Neal
C : Ben Wallace

Still debating if JO would start over LMA, but for now, that's how it stands. Heck, maybe he can start over Ben Wallace too, although I like Big Ben's toughness and grit there for now.

Digging our IT4 pick, but it does kind of make Bradley Beal redundant, even though we like what he can bring as far as top flight scoring and a little bit of playmaking.
I think you should keep Aldridge as the starter. Not only do I think he's the better all-around player, but he's a much better fit next to Wallace. Ben can cover Aldridge's faults on defense. Have Jermaine O'Neal anchor the bench defense.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #194 on: March 30, 2020, 09:10:32 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Milwaukee Bucks:

I’m still debating.  I’m leaning toward the 2 blocks / high 3P% version, although 3.7 blocks is enticing.
Very fair, I guess it all depends on who you draft as your other bench big-man alongside him.

The Ibaka of the last two years always seems to torch the C's, sorta like a big-man version of Middleton. He's a fun player