Poll

If Kyrie leaves AND there is an AD trade, would you be in favor of re-signing Rozier?

Yes
29 (50.9%)
No
28 (49.1%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Author Topic: All Aboard the Rozier Train...I guess  (Read 9611 times)

Re: All Aboard the Rozier Train...I guess
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2019, 11:12:56 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
Yeah, I mean, if Kyrie walks I'm not opposed to it. I still don't think he'd start over Smart, but you might as well sign him if you have no other option, as he can always be a trade asset/filler later.

That said, with the recent news about Nets likely not resigning Russell if they get Kyrie, I still think we should approach them with a double sign-and-trade scenario and even hang the Memphis pick out there as compensation for their troubles.

But even if that doesn't work, it might be better to sign a Beverly/Collison/Rubio type for likely cheaper money to play that backup point guard role.

« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2019, 11:57:25 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
I stand by everything I said in the previous post, but I'd prefer D'Angelo Russell to Terry Rozier on any given day of the week regardless of what the contract looked like.

Russell's 3-point shooting would be an incredible fit in this system.

« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2019, 01:28:45 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Pass, I did not like how he aired it out after the season and let all the team business out.   That is not the act of someone who was planning on staying.

« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2019, 01:39:45 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Nope. I’d rather play a rookie guard like NAW. Worked for the Clips
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2019, 03:26:47 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Meh. We have 4 picks to use on rookies. People love to crap on Danny's draft resume, but he's usually on-point with drafting PGs.

Aside from Marcus Banks and 2nd rounders, most of his drafted guards are solid players

Delonte West
Rajon Rondo
Avery Bradley
Etwaun Moore
Marcus Smart
Terry Rozier

« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2019, 06:12:20 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
The Smart AD pick and roll/pop will be deadly.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2019, 07:02:22 AM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
We need a Point Guard, someone who can dribble, distribute, penetrate, and be a reliable shooter. 

We don't need Rozier, a guy who can't dribble, has minimal court vision, is an unreliable shooter, and absolutely zero basketball intuition.  He's a very good athlete masquerading as a basketball player, which he might get away with he if played power forward or something.  The only thing he's good as is rebounding for a guy his size.  I'll be pretty annoyed if we have to watch him lead an offense at all in 2020

« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2019, 07:36:17 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
i d like to pack his bags and toss him on a train out of boston

« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2019, 07:52:16 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I stand by everything I said in the previous post, but I'd prefer D'Angelo Russell to Terry Rozier on any given day of the week regardless of what the contract looked like.

Russell's 3-point shooting would be an incredible fit in this system.

All things being equal, I think few would disagree that Russell is better than Rozier (although nick described 7 reasons why Russell might not be the ideal PG for our system in jpotter's post).

I guess the question you need to ask yourself is would you rather have Russell at $27.5M/yr or Rozier at, say, $12M/yr? I realize Russell is an All-Star and I suppose we would have to make the S&T if it became available, but we would need to hope last season was actually legit and that he would continue his pathway to stardom. That's a big commitment to somebody who was previously thought of in just above Fultz territory.

« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2019, 07:55:32 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
We need a Point Guard, someone who can dribble, distribute, penetrate, and be a reliable shooter. 

We don't need Rozier, a guy who can't dribble, has minimal court vision, is an unreliable shooter, and absolutely zero basketball intuition.  He's a very good athlete masquerading as a basketball player, which he might get away with he if played power forward or something.  The only thing he's good as is rebounding for a guy his size.  I'll be pretty annoyed if we have to watch him lead an offense at all in 2020

All very harsh, but valid points. I think if we lost at least two of Irving, Smart, and Brown, that the MLE would be used to bring in a Rubio type. Rozier might be the starting PG, but we would have a real PG just behind him probably getting at least 24mpg. You can never rule out Rondo either!  ;)

« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2019, 09:33:42 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
This is depressing.

Just play Hayward at point and see what happens.

« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2019, 10:01:52 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Besides bringing the ball up over the half court line, IMO Rozier isn't even a Point Guard.

« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2019, 10:08:41 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
For me, who for his first three years here was a big supporter of Rozier, bringing him back, regardless of the circumstances, is not an option.

Rozier freely admitted to having a problem with better, more established players, getting minutes over him. It affected his play and he was clearly a major part of the chemistry problems. He showed, and then went out and proved with interviews after the season, that he is a "me" player and not a "we" player.

Rozier burnt his bridge down with me, and maybe with the organization. Let him walk.

« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2019, 10:15:58 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Maybe a sign and trade with Chicago for Kris Dunn?
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2019, 10:16:26 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

He can score too.  He can drive to the hoop. 

My only advice is:  Be careful what you wish for.  PG's who do everything the right way but don't really stand out at all can be very tiresome.  At full minutes, Rozier makes a few plays every game that make you say wow.  I can agree he did not perform well as a backup this year, but that's a silly reason to throw him off the team if it doesn't cost much to match. 

Rozier's critics seem to want him gone even if he's cheap.  Big mistake.  He will turn back into a decent player and or a good asset.