Author Topic: RIP John Havlicek  (Read 6488 times)

Re: RIP John Havlicek
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2019, 10:44:51 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
One of my favorite Celtics of all time. RIP

They just don't make them like that anymore.

« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2019, 11:12:25 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Now this guy was a better SG than Wade. RIP
😁Actually Havlicek is considered one of the very greatest SF in history. But, yeah, for the year or two he played SG, he was amazing.

« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2019, 11:35:01 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
I  remember an opponent commenting that he had to have three lungs to run as much as he did

The Havlicek moment I remember the most was attending the famous 1976 finals game with Phoenix when he banked in a shot supposedly to win the game and had to be called back when it was determined there was still time left....Garfield Heard then nailed a 40 footer to tie the game (thank goodness there was no three point rule then)...the C's won in 3 ot's, but the image of Havlicek "winning" the game and running to the locker is forever etched in my mind
The crazy part of that game was a fan coming onto the court and punching the ref, Richie Powers. And Powers retaliated. Imagine the lawsuits if that happened today?

Here's a nice account of that game - with lots of Havlicek quotes:

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2016/04/15/hell-just-1976-celtics-suns-greatest-game-ever-played

« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2019, 02:14:19 PM »

Online Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
The Celtics' youtube channel posted an in memoriam video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKn0Y-BxZcw

NESN posted a video of their own:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTNT4i5PgIw
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2019, 07:14:05 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
My favorite memory of John Havlicek is the last 2 playoff games of his career: The 1977 Eastern Conference Semi Finals.

In game 6, a 37 year old Havlicek played 48 minutes, scored 25 points and held a primetime Dr.J to 14 points on 7 of 20 shooting.

In game 7, Dr.J had 14 points on 6 of 19 shooting.

John Havlicek was absolutely great.

« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2019, 07:51:08 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Havlicek and Dave Cowens were the first Celtics players that I knew as such.  I was maybe nine years old (about 1967) and living near NYC so I was a NY Knicks fans (insert Bronx cheer right here).  I saw them play the Celtics on TV and was impressed with their uptempo style.  NYK played a much slower more deliberate game.

Same with me   Havlicek and Cowens were my first Celtic icons . I was made to watch them by my dad to try and learn hard nose good team basketball boxing out, passing and shooting.

Im 🙁

« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2019, 08:06:57 AM »

Offline zeitgeist49

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 19
I remember seeing Havlicek score 56 against the Hawks in a playoff game at the Garden. I also recall John matching shot for shot against Jabbar in a critical playoff game. Hondo was so clutch. The fact that Havlicek won titles with Russ and much later with Cowens is a testament to how valuable he was. He will be sorely missed.

« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2019, 09:57:03 AM »

Offline Rakulp

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 78
My memories of Havlichek unfortunately begins in the 70's, at the latter part of his career...I wasn't paying attention in the "black and white TV" days.

He's one of the reasons why I'm a Celtics fan today.  I started following the team a little, and John looked a lot like an older version of one of my best friends at the time, a youth basketball player with similar skills.

The more I watched...the more I absorbed the Celtic history.  There was this guy a few years before Hondo named Russell who was pretty good I was told. :)

The older we get, the more holes in our universe are created when our "heroes" stop playing, get older, and, sadly, pass on.  We know the world goes on, as it will when we leave, but somehow the world just doesn't seem the same without them in it.

Respect and condolences to all his friends and family.

« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2019, 04:53:25 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Began listening to Celtic games on an AM radio early 70’s

Watched the 76 Finals on a black and white tv

Hondo was a Top 50 player but he was Top 10 in my book

RIP

« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2019, 05:32:53 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2528
I  remember an opponent commenting that he had to have three lungs to run as much as he did

The Havlicek moment I remember the most was attending the famous 1976 finals game with Phoenix when he banked in a shot supposedly to win the game and had to be called back when it was determined there was still time left....Garfield Heard then nailed a 40 footer to tie the game (thank goodness there was no three point rule then)...the C's won in 3 ot's, but the image of Havlicek "winning" the game and running to the locker is forever etched in my mind
The crazy part of that game was a fan coming onto the court and punching the ref, Richie Powers. And Powers retaliated. Imagine the lawsuits if that happened today?

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2016/04/15/hell-just-1976-celtics-suns-greatest-game-ever-played

That Game 5 triple OT is forever in my memory.  I was a senior in HS that year and by the Finals was done with school so just having fun.  My friends and I decided to go for pizza and listen to the end of the game in the car. We ended up sitting in the car in front of the pizza place for 3 overtimes.  JoJo was my favorite player -- what a game/series he had.  Hondo should have won it with the shot you described.  But they eventually pulled out the game and the series.  Incredible memory -- my friends and I going crazy in my mom's old station wagon.

« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2019, 05:39:48 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 733

Still the Greatest NBA game ever played - however, Garfield Heard's turnaround with 1+ second left was about 20', not 40'. Lot of people forget that the Celts started out that game 5 blowing Phoenix out of the Garden. Paul Westphal led the Suns back. I will always love Charlie Scott, but never understood why Red traded Westphal for Scott - both were two-guards and Westphal was younger.

Of course, Scott, who fouled out of game 5, had fresher legs and led the Celts to the title in game 6 back in Phoenix.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2019, 05:47:26 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 733

RIP

WBZ - with Johnny Most. Being a strong AM station, I could pick it up clearly at nite all the way down here in Knoxville. My mom used to talk about hearing that distinctive voice of Johnny Most coming out of my room on game nights. I even called the talk show "Calling All Sports" one night back then.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #57 on: April 29, 2019, 01:23:38 PM »

Online Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743

That Game 5 triple OT is forever in my memory.  I was a senior in HS that year and by the Finals was done with school so just having fun.  My friends and I decided to go for pizza and listen to the end of the game in the car. We ended up sitting in the car in front of the pizza place for 3 overtimes.  JoJo was my favorite player -- what a game/series he had.  Hondo should have won it with the shot you described.  But they eventually pulled out the game and the series.  Incredible memory -- my friends and I going crazy in my mom's old station wagon.

TP. Good story.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #58 on: April 29, 2019, 03:03:09 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540

RIP

WBZ - with Johnny Most. Being a strong AM station, I could pick it up clearly at nite all the way down here in Knoxville. My mom used to talk about hearing that distinctive voice of Johnny Most coming out of my room on game nights. I even called the talk show "Calling All Sports" one night back then.
I pretty much became a Celtics fan listening to Most in the 70's.  There weren't that many games on TV and I was forced to go to be bed early anyway (always hated that lol) but I would go to sleep listening to the games on the radio.  Most back then was excellent - he made every game sound like a battle between good and evil.  He would call Havlicek 'John John'.

« Reply #59 on: April 29, 2019, 03:16:39 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

RIP

I pretty much became a Celtics fan listening to Most in the 70's.  There weren't that many games on TV and I was forced to go to be bed early anyway (always hated that lol) but I would go to sleep listening to the games on the radio.  Most back then was excellent - he made every game sound like a battle between good and evil.  He would call Havlicek 'John John'.
I did the same thing. Listened to Celtics games on the small radio that I hid under my pillow. Did the same thing with the Sox. Every Bruins game was on channel 38 and my dad watched them so always could follow them on TV.

I listened to "Calling All Sports" but didn't start listening to it until Upton Bell and Bob Lobel were doing it. I think that was late 70's but that radio show was decades before it's time. A truly historic sports radio show.