Author Topic: 2012 Patriots Football  (Read 112331 times)

Re: 2012 Patriots Football
« Reply #60 on: August 31, 2012, 02:21:19 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
So WR's the pats cut this year

Ochocinco
Deion Branch
Anthony Gonzalez
Jabar Gaffney
Donte Stallworth

quite the crew

Quite the crew 5 years ago.

« Reply #61 on: August 31, 2012, 02:21:33 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
The reciever thing is interesting.  I would not be surprised if at least one of those guys is back, as soon as week 1.

I really don't have a good grasp on the roster and cap rules for the NFL, but I bet there are some cap implications they are working around...and perhaps also delaying cutting one of the young guys until a point when they think they can more easily slip him to the practice squad.

Yeah, a few writers on Twitter have mentioned the idea that either Branch or Gaffney could be back.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #62 on: August 31, 2012, 02:23:30 PM »

Offline CDawg834

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
Pats just released Brian Hoyer and Dan Koppen.  Thanks to Koppen for a great career here in NE

Interesting.  I was wondering what would happen with Hoyer, since it seemed like Mallet had passed him.

Hoyer was due for $1.9 million this year.  Sounds like they considered Mallett their #2 for this year, and weren't going to pay $1.9 million to their emergency QB.  I'm sure he'll find a spot somewhere.

« Reply #63 on: August 31, 2012, 02:42:11 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Pats just released Brian Hoyer and Dan Koppen.  Thanks to Koppen for a great career here in NE

Interesting.  I was wondering what would happen with Hoyer, since it seemed like Mallet had passed him.

Hoyer was due for $1.9 million this year.  Sounds like they considered Mallett their #2 for this year, and weren't going to pay $1.9 million to their emergency QB.  I'm sure he'll find a spot somewhere.

They also have gone with just 2 QBs a decent amount in the past.  They really only would go with 3, when they were stashing a young guy they were trying to develop (like last year with Mallet). 

This also is a favor to Hoyer, who should be able to get a backup spot somewhere...and may even find a situation where he could play.

« Reply #64 on: August 31, 2012, 02:44:08 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I'm also interested in finding out who gets released from other teams (and in who the Pats might have an interest).
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #65 on: August 31, 2012, 05:40:09 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
So WR's the pats cut this year

Ochocinco
Deion Branch
Anthony Gonzalez
Jabar Gaffney
Donte Stallworth

quite the crew

Quite the crew 5 years ago.

...  still better than any of the receivers in Miami...

« Reply #66 on: August 31, 2012, 06:05:19 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
There is some talk out there that Gaffney or Branch could be back after week one, where contracts wouldn't be guaranteed.  Seems to make more sense with Gaffney, since Branch was already making the minimum salary for someone with his years. 

In some ways, I think this makes sense to cut so many receivers.  When healthy, the Pats are going to have Gronk, Hernandez, Lloyd, and Welker on the field for nearly every possession.  They'd only have room for another receiver when they went to an empty backfield. 

However, I'd like to see someone else who can be an outside receiver if Lloyd went down.  I think Edelman can do a good Welker impression, but if he could really be an outside threat, I think we would've seen it last year when we needed one so desperately. 

I was really hoping Stallworth was going to step up more.  He's very quick and would've been a nice vertical threat backup if Lloyd missed some time. 

On another note, I hope they don't keep Kettani.  There's no point in carrying a fullback.  If McDaniels wants a blocker in the backfield, put one of the TEs back there or a bigger guy from the O or D lines. 

« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2012, 06:54:47 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Edelman played QB in college, right? So if Brady and Mallet get injured in the same span, he'd step in for emergency purposes, I'd think.

Wasn't Brian Mitchell the 3rd string qb for most of McNabb's years?

« Reply #68 on: August 31, 2012, 06:56:38 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
Edelman played QB in college, right? So if Brady and Mallet get injured in the same span, he'd step in for emergency purposes, I'd think.

Edelman hasn't played a lick of QB, even in practice, since college.  I don't think I've even seen him run any trick plays.  Hoyer's cut, I get, he was making too much given that he wasn't any better than Mallett, but they'll bring in a practice squad kid.

« Reply #69 on: August 31, 2012, 07:54:12 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777

Edelman hasn't played a lick of QB, even in practice, since college.  I don't think I've even seen him run any trick plays.  Hoyer's cut, I get, he was making too much given that he wasn't any better than Mallett, but they'll bring in a practice squad kid.

I'm just saying for game day purposes before anyone is injured I'd guess edelman is #3 on the depth chart.

« Reply #70 on: September 01, 2012, 10:46:50 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones

However, I'd like to see someone else who can be an outside receiver if Lloyd went down.  I think Edelman can do a good Welker impression, but if he could really be an outside threat, I think we would've seen it last year when we needed one so desperately. 

Maybe Slater?

I'm bummed that Demps is out for the season -- I was really hoping to see him get in some speedy kick returns.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #71 on: September 01, 2012, 10:50:39 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
The reciever thing is interesting.  I would not be surprised if at least one of those guys is back, as soon as week 1.

I really don't have a good grasp on the roster and cap rules for the NFL, but I bet there are some cap implications they are working around...and perhaps also delaying cutting one of the young guys until a point when they think they can more easily slip him to the practice squad.

Yeah, a few writers on Twitter have mentioned the idea that either Branch or Gaffney could be back.

Branch -- I could see him not being signed anywhere, and then being brought back to the Patriots in week X if there is an injury to the Patriots WR corps. He could basically step right back in.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #72 on: September 01, 2012, 11:09:25 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Bummed out about Demps going on IR.  Was really looking forward to him returning kicks this year.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #73 on: September 01, 2012, 05:36:12 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
Pats release Bobby Carpenter (which comes as a surprise) and trade for WR Greg Salas from the Rams. Clearly, Josh McDaniels sees something in him that the Rams do not.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #74 on: September 01, 2012, 05:53:44 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
Pats release Bobby Carpenter (which comes as a surprise) and trade for WR Greg Salas from the Rams. Clearly, Josh McDaniels sees something in him that the Rams do not.

Impossible to predict what they will do next.   All you can do is believe.