Author Topic: NCAA College Football 2010  (Read 66208 times)

Re: NCAA College Football 2010
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2010, 10:26:09 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I am now officially a Boise St. fan.  My fiance went to school there, and I had no allegiance to any other school (I went to Northeastern, and have the general disdain most NEU graduates have for BC), so I have been considering adopting them as my team for the last few years, but last night they officially hooked me.  The fact that every single game is do or die makes it incredibly compelling (which is necessary for a casual fan like myself), and last night was just sports at its best.
Realistically every game is do or die for every college team as far as national titles go.

You can't afford to lose at all without surrendering control of your fate. And if you lose past the first half the season you're sunk no matter what as you can't climb far enough to get back in it.

Congrats on your conversion!

« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2010, 10:32:03 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I am now officially a Boise St. fan.  My fiance went to school there, and I had no allegiance to any other school (I went to Northeastern, and have the general disdain most NEU graduates have for BC), so I have been considering adopting them as my team for the last few years, but last night they officially hooked me.  The fact that every single game is do or die makes it incredibly compelling (which is necessary for a casual fan like myself), and last night was just sports at its best.
Realistically every game is do or die for every college team as far as national titles go.

You can't afford to lose at all without surrendering control of your fate. And if you lose past the first half the season you're sunk no matter what as you can't climb far enough to get back in it.

True.  Although teams in a conference like the SEC can concievably survive an early season loss to another strong team, and with a little luck, could still make it to the championship game.  Teams like BSU are truly one and done.

« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2010, 10:38:58 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
  Teams like BSU are truly one and done.

True.  I'd argue that "one and done" is a lot easier to pull off, though, when all you have to do is avoid losing to Utah St., Louisiana Tech, and Fresno.

I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir, but college football definitely needs a playoff.  It's ridiculous that Boise State will have the inside track to the national championship by beating only one decent school.  What's more impressive, an undefeated BSU school or a one-loss SEC team?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2010, 10:39:28 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

True.  Although teams in a conference like the SEC can concievably survive an early season loss to another strong team, and with a little luck, could still make it to the championship game.  Teams like BSU are truly one and done.

Teams like BSU are usually none and done, really.  We've had what, 4 or 5 mid-major teams go undefeated and win their BCS bowl now?  None of them were even close to getting a shot at a title.  It doesn't matter if they run the table, they're effectively ineligible for the championship game unless literally dozens of teams lose, some more than once.

I'm on the BSU bandwagon too just because it's nice to see a mid-major be at least hypothetically able to win a championship.  And because last night's game was great.

« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2010, 10:44:05 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

True.  I'd argue that "one and done" is a lot easier to pull off, though, when all you have to do is avoid losing to Utah St., Louisiana Tech, and Fresno.

I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir, but college football definitely needs a playoff.  It's ridiculous that Boise State will have the inside track to the national championship by beating only one decent school.  What's more impressive, an undefeated BSU school or a one-loss SEC team?
QFT and a TP Roy.

A Big 10, Big 12, or SEC will have to play at least what 3 tough road games and a total of 4 or 5 games at least against roughly equal competition.

Boise State have played their one and only game against a team of roughly comparable quality. (I'm not sold on OSU though I suppose they could end up being good)

« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2010, 10:45:03 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
The whole Boise State thing will certainly add intrigue to this season (assuming they keep winning).

The interesting thing will be to see what happens if two BCS conference teams run the table and we have something like Big 10 champ, Big 12 Champ, and Boise State sitting there.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2010, 10:46:46 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
One thing I hate about CFB lately is the perception that not winning a national title means your season is "done".

« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2010, 10:47:56 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Well, last year they were undefeated, and didn't have a sniff of the championship game.  I think going 28-0 over the last 2 seasons (or 35-1 over the last 3) is more impressive than going 13-1 in the SEC.  

I agree that they absolutely need the playoff, and Boise state (or TCU) are the exact reasons why.  It is such a messed up system.  Teams like that never get the respect because they play in such a bad conference, but also because the other great teams want no part of playing them in their non-conference games.  

They have done everything they possibly can to prove they belong, but the system has made it nearly impossible for them to compete for a championship, and to show that they are (or aren't) the best team in the country.

« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2010, 10:49:55 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
One thing I hate about CFB lately is the perception that not winning a national title means your season is "done".

That's true to an extent but rivalry games still matter.

Say a 5 loss Michigan team takes out a 1 loss Ohio State team.  A lot of maize and blue fans will be happy and call it a success. 

I know for me, BC is never a realistic national title candidate but I am extremely gratified any season we knock off Notre Dame.  Bragging rights for a year over my Notre Dame fans is huge for me.

« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2010, 10:50:31 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Well, I think thats part of being a casual fan like myself.  There needs to be a goal to keep me interested.  Its the same thing with any sport.  Just look at the Red Sox.  The casual fans stopped caring weeks ago, when it became clear they weren't going to win it all.  

There are always going to be the "true" fans (for lack of a better term), who are there because they really love the team, whether they win or lose, but what sells tickets are the casual fans who are only there, when the games mean something.

« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2010, 10:52:02 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

Well, last year they were undefeated, and didn't have a sniff of the championship game.  I think going 28-0 over the last 2 seasons (or 35-1 over the last 3) is more impressive than going 13-1 in the SEC.  

I agree that they absolutely need the playoff, and Boise state (or TCU) are the exact reasons why.  It is such a messed up system.  Teams like that never get the respect because they play in such a bad conference, but also because the other great teams want no part of playing them in their non-conference games.  

They have done everything they possibly can to prove they belong, but the system has made it nearly impossible for them to compete for a championship, and to show that they are (or aren't) the best team in the country.

Undefeated by any means is a huge accomplishment, don't get me wrong.  It just rubs me the wrong way when you're doing it against the likes of Wyoming, Utah State, and Idaho.  A bit of an emptiness there.

To me, its more satisfying watching a team have to knock off the LSUs, Floridas, and Alambamas of the world.

« Reply #56 on: September 07, 2010, 10:53:10 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Chris the problem I have with the 35-1 argument is that we're talking about single season titles and awards.

It is much much easier to go 13 - 0 when you only have 2 or 3 games against top quality opponents. Instead of fighting tooth and nail each game you're fighting to stay focused on beating up weaker teams. You also can avoid showing all of your coaching wrinkles because you don't need them!

35 - 1 just doesn't impress me when 20+ of those wins are against bad teams.

« Reply #57 on: September 07, 2010, 10:55:19 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Undefeated by any means is a huge accomplishment, don't get me wrong.  It just rubs me the wrong way when you're doing it against the likes of Wyoming, Utah State, and Idaho.  A bit of an emptiness there.

To me, its more satisfying watching a team have to knock off the LSUs, Floridas, and Alambamas of the world.

I agree.  Which is why I generally hate CFB, because I guarantee you, BSU would play any of those teams any day, but those teams choose to add cupcakes as their non-conference games, rather than risk losing their own championship chances to a team like BSU.  

But again, 28-0 over the last two seasons would be very tough to turn down.  

And if BSU makes it to the title game, and beats a team that did go through all those other teams, how is that not satisfying?

« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2010, 10:57:42 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

I agree.  Which is why I generally hate CFB, because I guarantee you, BSU would play any of those teams any day, but those teams choose to add cupcakes as their non-conference games, rather than risk losing their own championship chances to a team like BSU.  

And if BSU makes it to the title game, and beats a team that did go through all those other teams, how is that not satisfying?

If they get there and win, its a whole different story to me.   Just the process of getting there rubs me the wrong way. 

If Boise State knocks off an undefeated Alabama team, then everything is legit.  Until then, I'm gonna have qualms about the whole process.

« Reply #59 on: September 07, 2010, 10:58:51 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

It won't be satisfying to me because depending on how things play out I'll probably have two other teams at least that I think have done more in the regular season to earn a shot in the title game than Boise St.

They shouldn't get extra credit for past years worth of accomplishments, which is what a spot in the title game will be with only two game against first class foes (if OSU is counted)