Poll

Would you be in favor of bringing Isaiah Thomas back this summer in a 6th/7th man role?

Hell Yeah!
9 (40.9%)
No
13 (59.1%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: If We Don't Use The MLE/Another Exception On A Big, Bring Back Isaiah Thomas!  (Read 3405 times)

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2952
  • On To Banner 18!
I miss him. That is all.  :'(
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
1. He's washed up and has a degenerative hip condition.

2. IT isn't worth MLE. he's vet min at best for 3rd string. There isn't going to be a bidding war for the services of the worst defender in the league

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
CE may have been a little harsh, but at this point he is more suited for the Wanamaker role than Rozier role. I can definitely see him improving his stock and producing at a decent clip on the 2nd unit, but he will only be paid the vet min until he proves he can do that.

Interesting he still wants to come back to Boston. After we trade the farm (and picks) for AD this summer, there has to be a spot on the roster for him...right??

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I love IT too, but on tonight's evidence he's lost at least a step of speed and looks hesitant shooting the ball. The injury really robbed him of a lot of what made him so effective.

Plus there's always the chemistry side of things - bringing someone back who used to be The Man just a couple of years ago to be an end of rotation player. It would be a lot for him to swallow and with his pride I'm not sure if he would be able to do it.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
CE may have been a little harsh, but at this point he is more suited for the Wanamaker role than Rozier role. I can definitely see him improving his stock and producing at a decent clip on the 2nd unit, but he will only be paid the vet min until he proves he can do that.

Interesting he still wants to come back to Boston. After we trade the farm (and picks) for AD this summer, there has to be a spot on the roster for him...right??

He has a degenerative hip condition and he is in his 30s.  He is no better than a replacement player now.

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2952
  • On To Banner 18!

Even if you don't trade for AD, there's likely 1, maybe 2 spots in the roster to fit him (or others).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Would be a waste of the MLE.

Vet min? Maybe.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
I mean we've wasted roster spots on scrubs like Troy Murphy or Greg Monroe.

Let's bring IT4 onboard!

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
He's better than Rozier...at the MLE why not.

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
TO do what?  Gimp around?

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
He's better than Rozier...at the MLE why not.
He's really not better than Rozier at this point... and I can't stand Rozier.  I really like Isaiah but right now I don't think he's better than Brad Wannamaker.  I hope Anthony Davis's dad was watching tonight.

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
Shoot better than Smart, Rozier and Morris, that's a start. You don't bring him in as a rotation player but you certainly give him the chance to play his way into it. Bring him in for the vet min - honestly it's the least they could do.  The guy blew his chance at a huge payday trying to help this team win.

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Shoot better than Smart, Rozier and Morris, that's a start. You don't bring him in as a rotation player but you certainly give him the chance to play his way into it. Bring him in for the vet min - honestly it's the least they could do.  The guy blew his chance at a huge payday trying to help this team win.
He's been not even close to a better shooter than those 3 guys since he left us. Not sure if he ever will be.

I love IT, but using a roster spot on him because we "owe him" is a very weird concept. Not sure DA would make even the slightest compromise to winning
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

This season IT is shooting .373 from the floor and .273 from 3. He's a long way from being able to outshoot even those 3 players you mentioned.

There's a huge difference between the player he was then and the player he is right now.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540

This season IT is shooting .373 from the floor and .273 from 3. He's a long way from being able to outshoot even those 3 players you mentioned.

There's a huge difference between the player he was then and the player he is right now.
You wouldn't bring him in for what he is currently. You hope that - as with Haywood - he'll be a lot better next season.  He is, after all, coming off hip surgery and he's not going to cost them anything.

29 pts a game, like clockwork when he was at his best.  That's worth a roll of the dice.