Poll

Who you got at #14? (players are listed in random order)

Tyrell Terry
13 (24.5%)
Patrick Williams
6 (11.3%)
Precious Achiuwa
4 (7.5%)
R.J. Hampton
4 (7.5%)
Aleksej Pokusevski
3 (5.7%)
Saddiq Bey
5 (9.4%)
Jalen Smith
4 (7.5%)
Aaron Nesmith
8 (15.1%)
Kira Lewis Jr.
3 (5.7%)
Cole Anthony
2 (3.8%)
other (please name below and I'll include him in the poll)
1 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: Who You Got with the 14th Pick? (Poll added)  (Read 117027 times)

Who You Got with the 14th Pick? (Poll added)
« on: August 16, 2020, 01:41:29 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Barring a miracle (Griz have only 2.4% chance of getting top 4 lottery pick thereby we get 2021 unprotected), we will draft 14th in 2020 draft.

My choices, in order (am only listing guys who realistically could be available at 14, and am assuming we can't trade up):

1. Devin Vassel (FSU)-- seems to be everyone's biggest hope.  Great shooter and defender, long, athletic, multiple position defender, would clearly fit into our system very well.  Probably won't be available, most mocks have him going top 10. Interestingly, ESPN's Schmidt has him at 16 in their power ranking, so I guess there is hope, and that is why I am including him here.

2. Kira Lewis (Alabama)--Love his size (6'3"), 3 point shooting acumen (both off dribble and catch and shoot), elite athleticism (called quickest player in draft, similar to Ja Morant), defensive ability on and off the ball, decent passer.  His only weaknesses seem to be lack of weight (listed in older reports at 165), and difficulty finishing at the hoop, which are probably related. Given Kemba's age and injuries, Danny should really focus on finding his successor in 2-3 years. I believe Kira could be that guy.

3. Aaron Nesmith (Vanderbilt)--Elite shooter from 3, great catch and shoot and pnr shooter, great foot work, reminds me of Kyle Korver and Dale Ellis.  Great size for 2 guard/wing (6'6" with 6'11" wingspan), decent though not great defender.  See his role as a scoring machine off the bench, should be able to contribute right away. Only risk is very small sample size for last season (14 games), when his 3 point shooting was off the charts (50%) although his 2 year FT average of 83% suggests this is not an outlier.

4. Saddiq Bey (Villanova)--Very good 3 point shooter (45%), quick release, great size (6'8" height with 7' wingspan) able to guard multiple positions, has fluid hips, unselfish.  See him as a great guy off the bench for us, could contribute decent minutes rookie season. He is a bigger, longer, better shooting version of Grant Williams, IMO.

5. RJ Hampton-- I go back and forth on this guy. Great athlete, I would consider taking him for the future, as I think he will need several years to develop into a decent 1/2 guard.   Would favor the other guys above him.

None of the bigs in this draft that would be available at 14  (e.g. Precious) interest me that high.  We have 2 other first round picks to take a flyer on any number of bigs who will be available at the end of 1st round.

Here a lot of buzz about Patrick Williams, but don't think he would add much to this team. He is all about projection, but feel like he wouldn't be an upgrade on G Williams.  Like Bey much more.

Who you got?

Re: Who You Got with the 14th Pick?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2020, 02:06:21 PM »

Offline Greenality

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 46
Theo Maledon. Seems like a great fit for us. And he's projected to be around lottery bubble.
I'm actually so high on him that I hope Ainge will consider moving up several positions, since Spurs value european players that much. Looks like a lot of teams are not particularly high on this year's draft class, so may be it will be enough to add something like 2 round pick or even money to our 14th pick.

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2020, 02:12:54 PM »

Offline Greenality

• Derrick White
Yeah, and Tony Parker is his mentor...

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2020, 02:29:16 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I like Nesmith, and I’d be fine with Carey if Ainge believes in his work ethic.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2020, 02:31:07 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Hopefully we get somebody like a Donovan Mitchell, Bam Adebayo, Giannis Antetokounmpo, or a T.J. Warren type player with that 14th pick

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2020, 02:31:41 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
Theo Maledon. Seems like a great fit for us. And he's projected to be around lottery bubble.
I'm actually so high on him that I hope Ainge will consider moving up several positions, since Spurs value european players that much. Looks like a lot of teams are not particularly high on this year's draft class, so may be it will be enough to add something like 2 round pick or even money to our 14th pick.

I think he would likely be available at 14 without the need to trade up. I have mixed feelings about him. Has great size for his position, but seems to lack aggressiveness, and average athleticism. I rate Kira Lewis a notch above him for those reasons.

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2020, 02:34:52 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
I like Nesmith, and I’d be fine with Carey if Ainge believes in his work ethic.

Most have Carey going late first round or early 2nd round, so I wouldn't spend my 14th pick on him.

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2020, 02:35:30 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
I got 3 names in mind at #14: Vassel, Nesmith and Saddiq Bey. Chances are that at least one of them will be on the board.

If we trade up, my targets would be either Wiseman or Haliburton.

I'm on the fence about Wiseman. He's a tantalizing prospect, but basketball has changed a lot over the last few years. The game is getting faster, which means that the league is getting smaller. Wiseman ain't mobile enough to defend the pick n roll. I don't think he'd be a good fit for our system.

Legit question: Let's say that Wiseman is still on the board halfway through the lottery. Would you guys go after him? If yes, what would be the absolute most you'd be willing to offer?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 02:57:02 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2020, 02:53:35 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I had Giannis, but Danny decided to go another way. Oh wait ... you mean this year? I have no idea, but I am sure I will second guess Danny if he bombs the pick. lol

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2020, 03:10:02 PM »

Offline Greenality

• Derrick White

I think he would likely be available at 14 without the need to trade up. I have mixed feelings about him. Has great size for his position, but seems to lack aggressiveness, and average athleticism. I rate Kira Lewis a notch above him for those reasons.

If not for the SA and Tony Parker connections..
Danny values athleticism, we know that, but for a PG I think Theo has enough.
And a good work ethic (by "multiple sources") on top of that.
You may be right about Kira, it all comes down to what Brad needs from a backup pg)

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2020, 03:31:07 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
As long as we don’t get the French point guard I’m happy

We don’t want ntilkina 2.0

Btw a lot of people on your list are projected to be late 1st round picks like the Alabama guard

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2020, 03:41:14 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I'm leaning towards adding another J to the team.

Jalen Smith

He had a disappointing freshman year but bounce back well. C's need a big that has offense potential and is still athletic enough with size for modern NBA. A guy to develop incase we don't resign Theis in 2021.

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2020, 04:03:14 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

Jalen Smith

He had a disappointing freshman year but bounce back well. C's need a big that has offense potential and is still athletic enough with size for modern NBA. A guy to develop incase we don't resign Theis in 2021.

At 14?

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2020, 04:05:29 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

Jalen Smith

Imo, he'd be a reach at #14. It seems possible that he won't be available at #26, but we can always trade up for him using #26 + #30.

edit: yeah, footey just wrote basically the same thing

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2020, 04:15:50 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
How have some of these guys made giant leaps and dives since March?  No games, no combine.  Have individual workouts been happening?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes