Author Topic: Jamal Murray  (Read 7455 times)

Re: Jamal Murray
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2019, 12:37:12 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
Where are all of the Kris Dunn fans?  Half of the blog seemed enraged when he wasn't picked.

No more Dragan Bender guys their either? You can certainly debate Brown vs Murray if you want, but you could also argue either guy vs Ingram at 2 as well I think. It was a tough draft.

« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2019, 12:40:27 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
It was a two player draft followed by a tier of players that seemed rather interchangeable at the time for picks 3 to 8 or so. 

Really came down to personal preference.   

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2019, 12:42:21 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
It was a two player draft followed by a tier of players that seemed rather interchangeable at the time for picks 3 to 8 or so. 

You could argue the way it turned out it was really a half a player draft, with Ingram unable to stay healthy/consistent and Simmons lacking a jump shot.

« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2019, 12:46:01 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

That's how I remember it.

Consensus Top-2 (can't miss prospects):

Simmons
Ingram

Consensus Next-6:

Dunn
Hield
Murray
Brown
Chriss
Bender

I personally had Poeltl in that second group, but it seemed like everyone agreed that those six guys would all be off the board by Pick #9 (which they were).

Of those eight picks -- all of whom were projected to be at least solid starters -- Bender and Chriss are absolute busts, and Dunn is a disappointment. 

The draft remains a crap shoot.  I'm very happy with Jaylen, who is in the same tier as Ingram.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2019, 12:46:59 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

You could argue the way it turned out it was really a half a player draft, with Ingram unable to stay healthy/consistent and Simmons lacking a jump shot.

For sure.  Just speaking to the time.  It was Simmons on one tier, Ingram below him, then a bunch of guys (Brown, Dunn, Murray, Hield, Bender, Chriss) that generated a good deal of debate.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2019, 01:41:21 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Please don't compare Hield and Brown just because they were drafted the same year. There's a four year age difference.
When is going to be ok to compare them?  Eventually, within the next year or so you start comparing them at face value.

« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2019, 01:59:28 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I was a Bender / Murray guy.

Still think Bender could have had a much better start to his career if he had been drafted by a decent organization.

Murray looks absolutely great at times, but at other times he slumps hard.

Remains to be seen if he ends up better than Jaylen.

My opinion on the matter is basically the same as before they were drafted ... Jaylen has better physical tools, but it's a lot easier for guys to earn starting roles with high usage in the NBA if they are good at navigating a pick and roll and can create pull up jumpers, especially from 3.  Murray has the easier path to star-caliber production than Jaylen.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2019, 03:21:25 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

That's how I remember it.

Consensus Top-2 (can't miss prospects):

Simmons
Ingram

Consensus Next-6:

Dunn
Hield
Murray
Brown
Chriss
Bender

I personally had Poeltl in that second group, but it seemed like everyone agreed that those six guys would all be off the board by Pick #9 (which they were).

Of those eight picks -- all of whom were projected to be at least solid starters -- Bender and Chriss are absolute busts, and Dunn is a disappointment. 

The draft remains a crap shoot.  I'm very happy with Jaylen, who is in the same tier as Ingram.
Perhaps Ainge chose Brown as most likely to 'not bust' in what now in hindsight seems like a pretty weak draft.
https://www.basketball-reference.com/draft/NBA_2016.html

« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2019, 04:14:46 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Where are all of the Kris Dunn fans?  Half of the blog seemed enraged when he wasn't picked.

His last two seasons have been plagued by injury. 

« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2019, 04:32:45 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

His last two seasons have been plagued by injury.

Yeah, he had a terrible rookie year in Minny, but when he's played in CHI, he's looked good! I was a fan of his before the draft - thought he would be the most desirable in a Butler trade and most likely not to bust. If he can get healthy, he should carve out a solid NBA career.

Seriously, take a look at his stats. He has looked quick. athletic, and engaged when I've watched him play. He could easily slide in to the Brown, Hield, Murray grouping.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/d/dunnkr01.html

« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2019, 05:41:20 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Bleacher Report blowing this dude up after he's basically stunk for the series so far.

C'MON MAN I like JM too but let's have him win a game (or 2) in San Antonio before we anoint him as a star.

« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2019, 06:10:47 PM »

Offline philr13

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 22
Bogdanovic has been Indy's primary scorer since Oladipo's injury. He shot 49.7% for the season. Brown started against him in place of an injured Smart and held him to 36.4% in the opening game.

Murray shot the lights out in the final quarter of the 2nd game against San Antonio.

I fail to see how anyone can argue that Murray is of more value to his team than Brown is to his. They are very different players who share little in common other than the fact that they were in the same draft class.

« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2019, 10:50:25 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
The way the league is going, a team full of elite three point shooters might be the way to go.

Murray: 36.2% from 3 in his career.
Brown: 36.5% from 3 in his career.

People need to relax, Brown was the right pick. Murrays biggest strength right now is being on a team that absolutely needs him to be a big time offensive weapon. he can go 0-8 threw 3 quarters and still be in the closing lineup. Brown doesn't have that luxury.

This should not be ignored. A lot of times, a guy gets labeled as a "shooter" or "not a shooter" and then we ignore the actual results. Jaylen struggled with his shot this season but he struggled with everything this season. If he's got his head on straight now, there's no reason to think he won't be the more versatile player.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2019, 10:49:35 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Through almost three quarters tonight, Murray has 3 points on 1-for-5 shooting, 1 assist, 1 rebound and 2 turnovers, and he's contributing his normal nonexistent defense.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2019, 10:58:53 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
Through almost three quarters tonight, Murray has 3 points on 1-for-5 shooting, 1 assist, 1 rebound and 2 turnovers, and he's contributing his normal nonexistent defense.

Regressed to his normal state basically.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D