Author Topic: Newest ESPN mock draft (2/20/18)  (Read 11588 times)

Re: Newest ESPN mock draft (2/20/18)
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2018, 07:59:50 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Looking at Chad Fords Tiers from last draft. He has 19 players he viewed as NBA starters

Tier 1 (Potential superstars)

Lonzo Ball, PG, UCLA

Markelle Fultz, PG, Washington

Boy, he was way off on these two in retrospect but then the ESPN guys are wrong a lot because they are more about hype than substance.
They were drafted one and two so there was substance there.

« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2018, 10:19:28 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Looking at Chad Fords Tiers from last draft. He has 19 players he viewed as NBA starters

Lonzo Ball, PG, UCLA

Boy, he was way off on these two in retrospect but then the ESPN guys are wrong a lot because they are more about hype than substance.
Chad Ford buys into agent produced hype so often. Ball, Exum, Mudiay, Bender, Derrick Williams are just a few over the years he should never have been hyping as much as he did.

« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2018, 10:52:15 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1642

Lonzo Ball, PG, UCLA

There still is.  I'd bet against Fultz being a lost cause.  He didn't stop being talented.  And Ball has shown more flashes than Celtics fans want to admit.  His passing and rebounding are as advertised.  His defense is a bit better than advertised.  His shot was starting to come around before his injury.  I'd stop short of calling him a future superstar, but I do think he's going to be a good player.

I like our guy.  I wouldn't trade Tatum for either of them.  But I'd bet on Fultz and Ball being good NBA players.

« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2018, 11:17:01 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

Lonzo Ball, PG, UCLA

Chad Ford buys into agent produced hype so often. Ball, Exum, Mudiay, Bender, Derrick Williams are just a few over the years he should never have been hyping as much as he did.

Let's not forget this gem:

But what really excites them is his mature low-post play. "More than Nowitzki, Gasol or even Divac, Darko has a nasty streak in him that will help him succeed in the post," a league executive said. "A lot of the Europeans are really threes in the pros. He'll be a true low-post player. His coach is doing us a huge favor by forcing him to develop those skills now. He already has moves that remind me of (Hakeem) Olajuwon in the post. Once we get a hold of him, the sky's the limit."

« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2018, 07:00:12 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261

Lonzo Ball, PG, UCLA

And all those guys were high draft picks.  Are you saying the GM's and coaches buy into the "agent produced hype" as well? 

If anything Ford is tied into what the GM's are thinking.

« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2018, 11:10:11 AM »

Offline shake603

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 13
I like Wendell Carter Jr. Obviously not enough to drop down, or reach on him, but I believe he is going to make some team really happy.

6'10 and 260 lbs of muscle with long arms(7'3.) The fact he has shown glimpses of stretching his shot to 3, means he may have a place in the modern NBA. He is truly able to feast on opposing frontcourts via scoring and dominant rebounding. He needs to go to a team with spacing. The Bulls would be an interesting spot.

Dunn/Lavine/Markkanen/Carter could be a very good team.

I'm firmly on the Carter train. I am completely enamored with him every time i get to watch him play. I hope this isn't considered a hot take but he's the best player on Duke in my opinion. He is the anchor that allows Bagley to play with the freedom he does. I'm sure a solid counter could be argued but that's how I see it.

He would be a tremendous fit and plus value for us. I dream of a scenario where he falls in the draft to one of the Clippers picks and we trade with them. I know its less than a 1% chance but that is what dreams are for.

« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2018, 11:27:20 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Besides DeAndre Ayton, I'm not enamored with any of the top picks. I'm actually happy that it looks like the LA pick won't convey.

I don't know what to think about Doncic and Bagley, and I'm not sure if Bamba will develop an offensive game. Jaren Jackson intrigues me, but I'm not sure that he will be a star. Trae Young looks like a potential bust. Michael Porter is a mystery at this point.

Let's go Kings pick! Bol Bol would look great in green.

« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2018, 03:20:19 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
I like Wendell Carter Jr. Obviously not enough to drop down, or reach on him, but I believe he is going to make some team really happy.

6'10 and 260 lbs of muscle with long arms(7'3.) The fact he has shown glimpses of stretching his shot to 3, means he may have a place in the modern NBA. He is truly able to feast on opposing frontcourts via scoring and dominant rebounding. He needs to go to a team with spacing. The Bulls would be an interesting spot.

Dunn/Lavine/Markkanen/Carter could be a very good team.

I'm firmly on the Carter train. I am completely enamored with him every time i get to watch him play. I hope this isn't considered a hot take but he's the best player on Duke in my opinion. He is the anchor that allows Bagley to play with the freedom he does. I'm sure a solid counter could be argued but that's how I see it.

He would be a tremendous fit and plus value for us. I dream of a scenario where he falls in the draft to one of the Clippers picks and we trade with them. I know its less than a 1% chance but that is what dreams are for.

Carter to me looks like a solid, near all-star type player, but lacks the explosiveness or ability to create to be more than that at the next level.  High floor, but modest ceiling.  I'd agree that he's been Duke's best player, certainly the most consistent.  But Bagley has a much higher ceiling imo.

« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2018, 03:22:42 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Carters floor seems to be a better version of Greg monroe + defense

The ceiling is al horford

« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2018, 04:37:57 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1642

Nah.  People throw out these unrealistic floors for players too often IMO.  Carter's floor is a washout.  That goes for most players in this or any other draft.  There are very few can't-miss talents out there.

« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2018, 07:31:56 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

Thus far, their play is more indicative of hype...

I'd bet against Fultz being a lost cause.  He didn't stop being talented.  And Ball has shown more flashes than Celtics fans want to admit.  His passing and rebounding are as advertised.  His defense is a bit better than advertised.  His shot was starting to come around before his injury.  I'd stop short of calling him a future superstar, but I do think he's going to be a good player.

I think you're wrong about Fultz,  they hid him his senior year for a reason.   Ball can pass, but  is he a solid nba defender?   He plays way off his man because is he is slower than a lot of guy luckily his size enables him to still play some defense.   He was second in defensive rating on the Lakers behind Nance Jr.   but the Lakers are not an elite team.   Daddy can't help him now.   He might be an ok NBA player and can fill a stat sheet  but for the season he is still shooting .363 from the field.  Now matter you stretch it is pretty ball.

http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/4066421/lonzo-ball

Chad Ford buys into agent produced hype so often. Ball, Exum, Mudiay, Bender, Derrick Williams are just a few over the years he should never have been hyping as much as he did

Agree 100% but isn't ESPN more about hype than substance in general.   

« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2018, 08:29:37 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

Nah.  People throw out these unrealistic floors for players too often IMO.  Carter's floor is a washout.  That goes for most players in this or any other draft.  There are very few can't-miss talents out there.
Great point.  TP.

« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2018, 11:54:21 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Any updates from Givony?  TP for thread..

I'm interested in Khyri Thomas and K. Mushidi if we lose Smart to another team or if Rozier is traded.
If we have Rozier and Smart back next year then I'd hope SF Bonga is available to stash...

« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2018, 12:41:38 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

I'm interested in Khyri Thomas and K. Mushidi if we lose Smart to another team or if Rozier is traded.
If we have Rozier and Smart back next year then I'd hope SF Bonga is available to stash...
Isn't Bonga playing PG in France as a matchup nightmare?
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2018, 11:39:54 AM »

Offline shake603

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 13

Isn't Bonga playing PG in France as a matchup nightmare?

From the little I've seen (really not much at all) it seems that way. I hope there are other CB posters who could fill us in on him if they've seen more. He's super intriguing and may even be a mid second round stash kind of opportunity.