Author Topic: 2024 NBA Season and Playoffs  (Read 424240 times)

smicker16 and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Re: NBA Season 2023-24
« Reply #4155 on: March 19, 2024, 03:23:11 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406
Warriors playing a really small lineup these days.

Only one big man, Draymond at center. Two small guards in Steph and Podz. Klay has gone to the bench. Then Kuminga as a SF playing PF. So small at three positions - C, PF, SG. Average size PG. Only player with good size and athleticism for his position is Wiggins at SF and he has been struggling this season.

« Reply #4156 on: March 19, 2024, 04:42:36 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406
When asked if LA feels like they can just flip a switch, Paul George said “I mean, that's what we're appearing to look like, which is not good. Not good. We want to be a team that's consistent and we want to establish an identity. I've always spoken about having an identity and I think it's extremely important. When you're a team that has an identity, teams know what they're going up against. Right now, I don't think we have an identity.”

« Reply #4157 on: March 19, 2024, 05:01:51 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Deandre Ayton says part of slow start this season was due to sleeping on air mattress 'for quite some time'

Earlier in the season, Deandre Ayton played far less aggressively. At the time, Ayton said on Thursday, he was feeling his way through the offense and playing with new players. But there was more to his struggles. “My body wasn’t just my body,” he said. “People forget the humane difference of me adjusting to everything.” That included something as routine as getting proper sleep. “Just being comfortable in waking up,” he said. “I didn’t have a bed for quite some time. I was on an air mattress. Just trying to figure this out.” – via Oregonian

Why is a guy who has made $100m (with another $70m on the way) sleeping on an air mattress?

LeBron James allegedly spends $1 million per year taking care of his body. DeAndre Ayton spends $59.

The best defense for him I’ve got is that because he’s really tall he needed to order a custom bed when he moved after being traded, and something went wrong with the order.

Most likely “quite some time” was a week and he’s fishing for excuses.
The air mattress comment comes a few weeks after missing a game due to icy roads in his neighborhood.  Ayton appears to be a bit flaky.

« Reply #4158 on: March 19, 2024, 07:16:07 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
Deandre Ayton says part of slow start this season was due to sleeping on air mattress 'for quite some time'

Earlier in the season, Deandre Ayton played far less aggressively. At the time, Ayton said on Thursday, he was feeling his way through the offense and playing with new players. But there was more to his struggles. “My body wasn’t just my body,” he said. “People forget the humane difference of me adjusting to everything.” That included something as routine as getting proper sleep. “Just being comfortable in waking up,” he said. “I didn’t have a bed for quite some time. I was on an air mattress. Just trying to figure this out.” – via Oregonian

Why is a guy who has made $100m (with another $70m on the way) sleeping on an air mattress?

LeBron James allegedly spends $1 million per year taking care of his body. DeAndre Ayton spends $59.

The best defense for him I’ve got is that because he’s really tall he needed to order a custom bed when he moved after being traded, and something went wrong with the order.

Most likely “quite some time” was a week and he’s fishing for excuses.
The air mattress comment comes a few weeks after missing a game due to icy roads in his neighborhood.  Ayton appears to be a bit flaky.

Maybe. Perhaps we shouldn't underestimate just how dumb and 'invincible' a 25-year-old can be (or the power of the weather, especially if you're not used to living somewhere with a real winter).
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #4159 on: March 19, 2024, 08:09:23 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1436
Anthony Edwards puts John Collins on a poster…

Dunk of the year?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NfPDNY0VnHQ&pp=ygUbYW50aG9ueSBlZHdhcmRzIHBvc3RlciBkdW5r
« Last Edit: March 19, 2024, 08:33:15 AM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #4160 on: March 19, 2024, 08:56:11 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

Dunk of the year?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NfPDNY0VnHQ&pp=ygUbYW50aG9ueSBlZHdhcmRzIHBvc3RlciBkdW5r

Btw that & the Reaves HDMBT posterization, it was quite the night for dunks last night. 

That Ant dunk is one of the greatest in game dunks I've ever seen.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4161 on: March 19, 2024, 09:26:48 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704

Dunk of the year?

Btw that & the Reaves HDMBT posterization, it was quite the night for dunks last night. 

Yeah, shades of Vince Carter's dunk in the olympics

« Reply #4162 on: March 19, 2024, 10:19:40 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Dunk of the year?

Between that and the block where he hit his head on the rim, I'm in awe of Ant's hops. I can't wait to see the rest of his career
I'm bitter.

« Reply #4163 on: March 19, 2024, 10:31:05 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar

Dunk of the year?

Maybe it's his size & shape, but I get more Kemp/Griffin vibes.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #4164 on: March 19, 2024, 10:34:21 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

Dunk of the year?

Maybe it's his size & shape, but I get more Kemp/Griffin vibes.

I just hope he stays healthy.  Those explosive types don't exactly have the best track records throughout NBA history.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4165 on: March 19, 2024, 01:21:28 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Cavs better get healthy in a hurry

Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania
·
5m
Cavs' Donovan Mitchell had a procedure for a nasal fracture and will be re-evaluated in one week.

« Reply #4166 on: March 19, 2024, 01:41:42 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!

Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania
·
5m
Cavs' Donovan Mitchell had a procedure for a nasal fracture and will be re-evaluated in one week.

I was originally worried about the Cavs (2nd biggest threat in East) but not anymore. They've been out of sync and struggling in general since the all-star break. I know the C's blew a 22-point lead against them recently but I'd be shocked if that happened multiple times in a series. They've been consistently banged up as well, no guarantees they'll all be back + healthy in April-May. 

Assuming CLE is the 3 seed their path could be real tricky as well, with Miami or Philly 1st round, then MIL without HCA.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #4167 on: March 19, 2024, 01:48:46 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania
·
5m

I was originally worried about the Cavs (2nd biggest threat in East) but not anymore. They've been out of sync and struggling in general since the all-star break. I know the C's blew a 22-point lead against them recently but I'd be shocked if that happened multiple times in a series. They've been consistently banged up as well, no guarantees they'll all be back + healthy in April-May. 

Assuming CLE is the 3 seed their path could be real tricky as well, with Miami or Philly 1st round, then MIL without HCA.

I would prefer it if the Cavs didn’t fall down to the 4-seed, however.  I do think they play well against us, and I rather they be on the other side of the bracket.

« Reply #4168 on: March 19, 2024, 01:53:36 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!

Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania
·
5m

I would prefer it if the Cavs didn’t fall down to the 4-seed, however.  I do think they play well against us, and I rather they be on the other side of the bracket.

Yeah if I had to rank it, teams I fear in order are Miami, Milwaukee, Cleveland, Philly*( IF Embiid returns)

I know I've been critical of MIL especially their defense but they have looked good lately. Combined with CLE struggling since the Break and they have a slight edge over Cleveland in my list now.

Ultimately though the C's should get through the East. If they can't, it's on them. Only excuse I can give is if, god forbid, like 2 of Porzingis/Tatum/Jaylen suffer major injuries along the way.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #4169 on: March 19, 2024, 02:18:14 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I worry more about Orlando than the Cavs.

Bucks still Boston's biggest threat.

Heat don't look like a team that is going to make a run out of the 7 or 8 seed again. That dream isn't happening again this season.