Author Topic: Restructuring the CBA for international players coming to the NBA  (Read 8809 times)

Online JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
Another topic I’d like to indulge in is the fact the international players are turning down NBA offers more and more this day and age. Why? The NBA rookie contract is a significant pay-cut for a lot of these players coming in from other leagues.

I wanted to explore different resolutions to this growing problem and I’ve come up with a couple ideas:

1)The Dice-k Rule: International players can be signed as free agents eliminating the draft altogether. This will result in bidding wars thus creating more lucrative situations for foreign players.

2)A separate International draft: a draft consisting of just one round. The team drafts a player into an automatic restricted free agent with bird rights.

The only color that matters is GREEN

Re: Restructuring the CBA for international players coming to the NBA
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 10:05:30 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
How many international players have come over and over performed their rookie contract?

Is the % any different then college players? 

Last thing I want to see is the NBA to get into bidding wars over international players that have not proven themselves in the NBA.

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 10:07:33 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
1.) Why should international players be treated any differently.

2.) Many internationals don't come here simply because they aren't good enough to play here.

3.) Euro good, dollar bad.

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 10:09:00 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
The only CBA restructuring I want to see is to make it easier for teams to get out of bad crippling contracts. 

Add flexibility so team can rebound quicker. 

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 10:15:59 AM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
i like the free agent idea. i think they should set an age limit on the draft.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 10:22:16 AM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.
The free agent idea holds the most weight, but even then few teams will offer more to Euro players than the Euro leagues themselves.  A separate Euro-draft, in the form of the NFL's supplemental draft, could work, but I don't really see any major flaws right now; if guys like Splitter and Vasquez don't want to play here, then that's fine.  The NBA will be okay without them.  However, if they want to collect the maximum paycheck, they'll find their way to the states and establish themselves as NBA stars.  While the Euro clubs can currently compete with the mid-level exception and rookie pay scale, that's their upper limit, which gives the NBA a distinct advantage.

While it's sad to see Euro guys come over for a few years only to go back to Europe/Asia, it's no big loss to the NBA.  If these players are good enough, they know where their big paycheck will come from, but they aren't going to get it without proving that they can play in the NBA first.  While these other leagues are gaining more power, they aren't necessarily draining it from the NBA. 
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 10:35:56 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The only CBA restructuring I want to see is to make it easier for teams to get out of bad crippling contracts. 

They could always do what they did several years back and give a permanent five year contract exemption. Every five years, at any point in that five year period the team gets to declare one contract exempt. There would be stipulations to the type of contract you could be exempt from.

1.) No starters
2.) No contract longer than 3 years.
3.) Once that contract is exempt, that player is a free agent.
4.) You still have to pay the contract off.

And of course there would be more.

I think that would be a lot better restructuring of the CBA than doing something for international players who have yet to prove anything. Really, how many internationals have become All-Stars over here.

Yao
Dirk
Manu
Deng
Kirilenko
Peja
Big Z

For the most part internationals have made inroads into becoming NBA players but it is not like the NBA is missing out on a glut of huge international talent that would effect the quality of the game that they need special rules.

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 10:54:16 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
think most of them are overrated anyway. just loom at kandi man

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 11:35:16 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Foreign players should not get special treatment. Either get rid of rookie salaries for all, or status quo. We should drive away local talent for the sake of bringing in more foreign players.

It's time to accept the fact that the NBA doesn't have the ability to keep all the best players in the world. There are teams in other countries that are willing to spend money to get players that will fill seats.

Eventually, we might have to ditch the draft and open up everything to freer competition. That seems the most equitable, though it will end up with teams that always have talent and teams that can't compete. The teams that are willing to spend can get the best players.

Do other countries have the same kinds of monolithic 30-team leagues in any sport that we have in the US? Do premier soccer divisions reach 30 teams?

We also shouldn't ignore how common it is for the top soccer players to change leagues. Why should we be surprised to see basketball players do this and also be happy doing it? If this becomes more common and as the US continues to have problems in international competition, the glamor of being part of NBA history is lessened. It is still the pinnacle and may always remain so, but the leveling has begun.

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 11:39:41 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders

Most NCAA players are overrated too. People love prospects.

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2008, 12:24:08 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker

They could always do what they did several years back and give a permanent five year contract exemption. Every five years, at any point in that five year period the team gets to declare one contract exempt. There would be stipulations to the type of contract you could be exempt from.

1.) No starters
2.) No contract longer than 3 years.
3.) Once that contract is exempt, that player is a free agent.
4.) You still have to pay the contract off.

And of course there would be more.

I think that would be a lot better restructuring of the CBA than doing something for international players who have yet to prove anything. Really, how many internationals have become All-Stars over here.

Yao
Dirk
Manu
Deng
Kirilenko
Peja
Big Z

For the most part internationals have made inroads into becoming NBA players but it is not like the NBA is missing out on a glut of huge international talent that would effect the quality of the game that they need special rules.

i agree that the key is to make sure that player contracts are guaranteed. I think the NFL is simply ridiculous. And all the owners are filthy rich in terms that dwarf the players, so i don't feel too bad about a few bad contracts they're stuck paying.

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2008, 12:36:46 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
i agree that the key is to make sure that player contracts are guaranteed. I think the NFL is simply ridiculous. And all the owners are filthy rich in terms that dwarf the players, so i don't feel too bad about a few bad contracts they're stuck paying.

If the owners are filthy rich, they can give away money to charities, not to lesser millionaires. I don't see the problem in cutting a player who isn't performing worth his contract and then signing a more appropriate player to take his place.

I don't see why athletes should be guaranteed anything beyond the current season if the market doesn't dictate it. I'd rather see more money go to players who can still contribute.

The NFL also doesn't have competition that would force them to concede to long-term guaranteed contracts.

It's an issue for the union to worry about, not us.

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2008, 12:41:20 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

As far as I understand, any international player who was at any time draft eligible, and wasn't drafted, becomes a free agent for NBA purposes (although he could still be bound under an international contract).

Players become draft eligible at the earliest of the following: signing an international contract, declaring for (and staying in) the draft, or reaching the age of 22.

Essentially, then, any international player 23 or older who hasn't been drafted can sign with whatever team he wants.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2008, 08:19:48 AM »

Online JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155

As far as I understand, any international player who was at any time draft eligible, and wasn't drafted, becomes a free agent for NBA purposes (although he could still be bound under an international contract).

Players become draft eligible at the earliest of the following: signing an international contract, declaring for (and staying in) the draft, or reaching the age of 22.

Essentially, then, any international player 23 or older who hasn't been drafted can sign with whatever team he wants.

Thanks Hobbs,

The current system still has some holes in it...
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2008, 09:24:57 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice

Most NCAA players are overrated too. People love prospects.

Kandi was a NCAA player. He only played basketball in Europe after being drafted - during the lockout- and his lack of skills were ridiculed.