Author Topic: Could Horford end up being the worst contract of offseason?  (Read 91580 times)

Re: Could Horford end up being the worst contract of offseason?
« Reply #405 on: February 22, 2020, 04:22:33 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Not convinced Philly are better with Horford off the bench. I could understand him as a 6th man if Philly had a good bench player who could better balance their lineup but I don't think they have such a player. I believe Philly would be better off keeping Horford as a starter and living with weaknesses / strengths of that lineup.

I am looking forward to the Philly vs Milwaukee matchup tonight. I like what Horford brings as a PF next to Embiid in this matchup against Milwaukee. That extra size to clog the lanes / paint & help on Giannis & Lopez. I am interested to see how the starting unit fares without Horford in the lineup against Milwaukee and to see how much playing time Horford gets. Plus of course how Philly does overall against Milwaukee tonight.

« Reply #406 on: February 22, 2020, 05:55:47 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Horford is a $107 mm 4 year insurance policy if Embiid gets injured.

« Reply #407 on: February 22, 2020, 10:09:26 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Currently stinking it up majorly against the Bucks
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #408 on: February 22, 2020, 10:22:30 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
Looks like the Sixers did the Celts a favor by signing Horford.

Horford really looks old right now.

« Reply #409 on: February 22, 2020, 10:27:39 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
If you could look back at the posts from the beginning of the seasonin this thread defending the contract those takes are the only things aging worse than al right now. 3 points and 1-6 shooting against the team they signed him to matchup against. Tough to see. He is a good guy.

« Reply #410 on: February 22, 2020, 10:32:07 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
Sixers thought they pulled a fast one when they traded the #3 pick for the #1 pick of Boston, back in 2017.

Last summer the Sixers thought they SURELY pulled a fast one by stealing Horford from the Celts.

Looks like Ainge is 2-0 against the Sixer front office.

« Reply #411 on: February 22, 2020, 10:53:49 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
Horford's a 6er now. Glad he's struggling. I hope everyone else on their team does as well.

« Reply #412 on: February 22, 2020, 10:57:28 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I know some people may roll their eyes reading this since he's a Sixers player now. But I have to imagine Horford has some lingering injury and he's playing hurt. I mean, I can't imagine his entire game just died in one offseason.

Yes, he doesn't seem to fit well there to begin with and is simply "Embiid insurance", but I think he's still a productive player that just is out of sync lately.

I will say this though. He's not the only Sixers problem. Tobias Harris seems to disappear against great teams a lot and tonight was another example. And he's making 180M over the next 5 years. Middleton is actually worth the similar extension he signed and he's proving it. Harris, not so much.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 11:03:20 PM by Phantom255x »
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #413 on: February 22, 2020, 11:29:35 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
I know some people may roll their eyes reading this since he's a Sixers player now. But I have to imagine Horford has some lingering injury and he's playing hurt. I mean, I can't imagine his entire game just died in one offseason.

Yes, he doesn't seem to fit well there to begin with and is simply "Embiid insurance", but I think he's still a productive player that just is out of sync lately.

I will say this though. He's not the only Sixers problem. Tobias Harris seems to disappear against great teams a lot and tonight was another example. And he's making 180M over the next 5 years. Middleton is actually worth the similar extension he signed and he's proving it. Harris, not so much.

Horford was already on the decline when he was with the Celts.

I'm not surprised that this is happening to Horford.

« Reply #414 on: February 22, 2020, 11:43:20 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

You'd have to look pretty hard to see a decline last year, even relative to his days in Atlanta. This year is an objective drop-off from his career averages, measured nearly any way you want to look at it.

Now, it's not surprising to see, that's surely true, because he's 33, but he's worse this year.

« Reply #415 on: February 23, 2020, 12:07:17 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
man tonight was ugly

« Reply #416 on: February 23, 2020, 12:08:31 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
man tonight was ugly

More than ugly, ugliest!

« Reply #417 on: February 23, 2020, 12:11:13 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

He wasn't really at all. His best year ever in terms of efficiency, his second best in terms of total rebound %, best in terms of shot-blocking percentage, and his best scoring per-minute year as a Celtic. He just played less because we had 10 guys routinely getting 15+ MPG, two of them being Baynes and Theis.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #418 on: February 23, 2020, 12:11:37 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
I think Horford was mainly signed to spite The Celtics. It wasn't a well thought out move.

« Reply #419 on: February 23, 2020, 04:11:49 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361

He's not being put in a position where his strengths are maximized and his weaknesses are minimized. Just a poorly assembled team, under a lot of pressure to succeed, with some stubborn individuals who refuse to change the way they play.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D