Author Topic: Could Horford end up being the worst contract of offseason?  (Read 92178 times)

Re: Could Horford end up being the worst contract of offseason?
« Reply #480 on: March 02, 2020, 09:09:00 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Also we have:

'18 Cleveland finished 4th in the East.  Helps to have LeBron, though had little chance against GS in the Finals.

'10 Celtics also finished 4th.  And they had a real chance in the Finals.

Both of those teams finished 50-32, which the Sixers are on a pace for as well.  Cleveland didn't have a beast like Milwaukee standing in their way, but you can argue the '10 C's did (with MVP LeBron and peak Dwight Howard, playing on the 2 best teams in the league).
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 10:52:42 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #481 on: March 02, 2020, 09:25:08 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Houston was very famously a 6th seed in '95 and won it but there are a couple caveats. Jordan was on hiatus and the Rockets had the 2nd best player in the league in Hakeem.

That team also had won the title the year before so they had a clue about what it took to succeed.  And as far as I remember, that team wasn't a soap opera either.

Maybe a little bit of a soap opera (Maxwell abruptly quit the team).  The more I look back at that Houston run, the more impressive it its.

They had Hakeem, but apparently not a dominate Hakeem when compared to his peers (he was still great, but the league was top heavy with big man stars).  Ya he was MVP and DPOY the year before, but in '95 he was healthy and only 3rd team All-NBA, 5th in MVP voting (behind 3 other Centers), didn't even make All-D.

Vernon Maxwell, their 3rd leading scorer, averaging the 4th most minutes per game, quit the team one game into the playoffs (arrival of Drexler cut his minutes/role, turned him from starter to 6th man).

1st Round, playing a 60 win Jazz team (with 2 1st Team All-NBA players, and Malone finishing 3rd in MVP), go down 1-2 (best of 5).  Win the next 2 to advance.

2nd Round, playing a 59 win Suns team, go down 0-2 and 1-3.  Win 3 in a row (with 2 on the road) to advance.

Conference Finals, playing a 62 win Spurs team (with MVP David Robinson).  Steal the first 2 on the road, then go and lose the next 2 at home.  Momentum is gone right?  Win the next 2 to advance (including 21 point blow out in pivotal Game 5 on the road).

Finals, playing 57 win Magic, with MVP runner up Shaq and 1st Team All-NBA Hardaway.  Sweep in 4.

They beat the 4 best teams in the NBA that year.  Usually a team gets lucky, and somebody else upsets a tough opponent making your path a little easier, or an opponent goes down with an injury, not the case here.

They went up against 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 6th MVP finishers.

I didn't appreciate it at the team, but looking back that run was incredible.
Also we have:

'18 Cleveland finished 4th in the East.  Helps to have LeBron, though had little chance against GS in the Finals.

'10 Celtics also finished 4th.  And they had a real chance at the Finals.

Both of those teams finished 50-32, which the Sixers are on a pace for as well.  Cleveland didn't have a beast like Milwaukee standing in their way, but you can argue the '10 C's did (with MVP LeBron and peak Dwight Howard, playing on the 2 best teams in the league).

TP for the useful information.

Yeah, I would agree that team was great, and even though they underachieved W/L wise, they were still a formidable team that had playoff tested veterans in Smith, Horry, and Drexler. And of course Hakeem as the dominant defensive anchor and skilled post moves.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #482 on: March 02, 2020, 10:55:56 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Also we have:

'10 Celtics also finished 4th.  And they had a real chance at the Finals.

'18 Cleveland played a very weak Eastern Conference that year. Pacers weren't that good. The Raptors couldn't get anywhere as long as LeBron was in their way. The Celtics? Well, LeBron has long-dominated them. I knew the moment the Celtics allowed LeBron a Game 7 it was the end for them.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #483 on: March 04, 2020, 12:00:38 AM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394

« Reply #484 on: March 04, 2020, 12:05:28 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177

« Reply #485 on: March 04, 2020, 12:13:35 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
https://twitter.com/cjzero/status/1235065377652174848?s=21

https://twitter.com/aidan_34_powers/status/1235064602326478849?s=21

This has gotten painful to watch. Danny somehow knew

That last possession on the 2nd twitter post, puzzles me greatly as to why Horford didn't even bother posting up..

« Reply #486 on: March 04, 2020, 12:41:37 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

When will Sixers learn and not pickup Old Centers from Boston lol. Thought they learned their lesson with Amir.

« Reply #487 on: March 04, 2020, 06:48:50 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

When will Sixers learn and not pickup Old Centers from Boston lol. Thought they learned their lesson with Amir.
Greg Monroe also.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #488 on: March 04, 2020, 06:22:40 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

« Reply #489 on: March 04, 2020, 06:45:40 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
https://www.phillyvoice.com/sixers-have-al-horford-problem-joel-embiid-brett-brown-nba-playoffs/

Article on Horford's poor performance for Philly.

To be honest, like I've said many times, this is really on Elton Brand.

I cannot see him staying that much longer, I would presume he would get axed either by the end of this season or definitely going to be on the hot seat if they keep him.

Who else was really giving Horford 4/$97?

I can't imagine the Kings would even entertain that thought either. And the fact they managed to seal the deal so quickly at FA, tells me that Elton Brand was quite literally bidding against himself.

« Reply #490 on: March 04, 2020, 07:33:28 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!
I don't feel bad for Horford in the sense that he chose to go there, and is still getting his 109M regardless.

But yeah, he's having a bad year. It's not a good fit, but Horford's play in general has taken a hit. It's bad. Avery Bradley is a great defender, but no way should he just steal the ball like that against Horford lol
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #491 on: March 04, 2020, 09:42:48 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
I said it once, I'll say it again.

If Horford and Kyrie had stayed, things would look pretty bleak for the Celtics right about now.

Horford has lost a step and is just going to get worse, and Kyrie missed practically the whole season again, he would have been out for another potential playoff run. We dodged two huge bullets there.

« Reply #492 on: March 05, 2020, 12:07:09 AM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
It looks as though Al has suddenly lost the desire to play basketball. Is it because of the team culture in Philly? Makes you wonder if he would have had the same sort of decline had he stayed with Boston. It's looking like a really bad signing for the Sixers, and this is just year 1 of the four year deal.

« Reply #493 on: March 05, 2020, 12:31:54 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
It looks as though Al has suddenly lost the desire to play basketball. Is it because of the team culture in Philly? Makes you wonder if he would have had the same sort of decline had he stayed with Boston. It's looking like a really bad signing for the Sixers, and this is just year 1 of the four year deal.

Team culture has something to do with it, but also I think the fans as well. Look, he has declined but I also dont think he is playing inspired

« Reply #494 on: March 05, 2020, 12:58:17 AM »

Offline Scottiej23

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 214
Al seems to me like he is the players player. The environment in Philly, cultured predominately by their two (totally different types of) divas, must be disheartening to him. Not surprised if it is affecting his play. That said, can't rule out the inevitable physical decline, which was evident last season.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 01:47:50 AM by Scottiej23 »