Author Topic: Could Horford end up being the worst contract of offseason?  (Read 92175 times)

Re: Could Horford end up being the worst contract of offseason?
« Reply #465 on: March 02, 2020, 12:58:27 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Seems like there was a leak from the front office about the 76ers potentially moving on from Horford this offseason. It is believed they probably include assets to get off his deal...

https://www.libertyballers.com/2020/2/29/21159307/trade-rumors-could-the-sixers-look-to-move-al-horford-for-shooting-help-this-summer

"Horford may not have a positive trade value this summer. Meaning, if no team wanted him at his near-max salary, it might cost the Sixers future assets to entice anyone to make a swap. That would obviously further limit their future flexibility and waste even more assets from the treasure chest they once possessed due to the wheelings and dealings of former President of B-Ball Ops Sam Hinkie."

The Kings wanted Horford last off-season, and it sure seems like a Kings move to trade for an aging decent player on a bloated contract.

Harrison Barnes and Bjelica for Horford and Thybulle (or Milton) and a 1st makes sense for both teams.

« Reply #466 on: March 02, 2020, 01:19:54 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Seems like there was a leak from the front office about the 76ers potentially moving on from Horford this offseason. It is believed they probably include assets to get off his deal...

https://www.libertyballers.com/2020/2/29/21159307/trade-rumors-could-the-sixers-look-to-move-al-horford-for-shooting-help-this-summer

"Horford may not have a positive trade value this summer. Meaning, if no team wanted him at his near-max salary, it might cost the Sixers future assets to entice anyone to make a swap. That would obviously further limit their future flexibility and waste even more assets from the treasure chest they once possessed due to the wheelings and dealings of former President of B-Ball Ops Sam Hinkie."

The Kings wanted Horford last off-season, and it sure seems like a Kings move to trade for an aging decent player on a bloated contract.

Harrison Barnes and Bjelica for Horford and Thybulle (or Milton) and a 1st makes sense for both teams.
If I were the Kings, I'd ask for more than that.  Kings have enough bigs and if they're helping Philly in a salary dump, Thybulle and 1 pick isn't enough for that contract.  I think a big motivating factor for Philly offering that deal wasn't just to improve their team but to hurt the C's.  right now, it's not looking like that move accomplished either goal.

having said that, I think Al would bring a positive aspect to the Kings' locker room and maybe provide a little guidance to Hield and Fox.  Wouldn't mind having Al back in Poirier's or Kanter's place though from a strictly talent perspective

« Reply #467 on: March 02, 2020, 01:36:09 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
Are we sure al really is a good lockeroom guy? This is his second season in a row on team with pretty bad chemistry and he has grumbled to the press about his role a bit.

« Reply #468 on: March 02, 2020, 01:50:26 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!
Are we sure al really is a good lockeroom guy? This is his second season in a row on team with pretty bad chemistry and he has grumbled to the press about his role a bit.

Honestly, Al just strikes me as that "laid back", quiet guy who kind of just goes with the flow. Won't shout at others and for the most part just stays out of drama and does his job. That's why teammates love him and coaches rave about him being a team player (which he is).

That said, even when things around him are ugly, he won't do much to quell it. He's not the kind of guy who will just give some loud, fired-up speech in the locker room IMO. That's been true for the last two seasons now. I think Horford does have a point about being frustrated with his role (remember, a lot of our current guys - including Smart who was one of the few who was good friends with Kyrie - talk about how last season they didn't have "defined roles"). Just so happens, even in PHI it doesn't seem the roles are defined, nor can they be defined since their "superstars" are often either hurt or complaining themselves. That's why we have a "Glenn Robinson wonders why Sixers even traded for him" thread here. 

I guess I feel a little bad for Horford. But only a little. He chose PHI, and hell, he's getting paid 109M regardless with them.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #469 on: March 02, 2020, 02:12:26 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I can think of a million reasons why I have no sympathy for Horford.

He knew that team wasn't a good fit. And he clearly tampered along with not giving Ainge any time to recuperate and didn't believe in our teams potential. So.... Bye Horford, thanks for leaving. (Could you imagine him in 2-3 years?) His regression and decline was evident after last year.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #470 on: March 02, 2020, 04:47:38 PM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125
Unbelievable how the Sixers' and Celtics' long-term outlooks have changed since last summer. Celtics are now sitting on two budding superstars still on their rookie deals, one of the best PGs in the game for the next 2-3 years beyond this one, a handful of useful and cheap young role players, and a late lottery pick in next year's draft. Sixers are carrying major deadweight in Harris and Horford for the next three years, one star who refuses to shoot, and another one whose health is a constant question mark. 

« Reply #471 on: March 02, 2020, 06:05:02 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525
Unbelievable how the Sixers' and Celtics' long-term outlooks have changed since last summer. Celtics are now sitting on two budding superstars still on their rookie deals, one of the best PGs in the game for the next 2-3 years beyond this one, a handful of useful and cheap young role players, and a late lottery pick in next year's draft. Sixers are carrying major deadweight in Harris and Horford for the next three years, one star who refuses to shoot, and another one whose health is a constant question mark.

Goes to show how terribly difficult it is to have a successful long-term tanking strategy in the NBA.  The only team guaranteed for it to work out is LAL because they will always be able to get top 5 players by creating cap room.  Philly played it well overall but can’t seem to get where they want to go.

« Reply #472 on: March 02, 2020, 06:07:20 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394

Goes to show how terribly difficult it is to have a successful long-term tanking strategy in the NBA.  The only team guaranteed for it to work out is LAL because they will always be able to get top 5 players by creating cap room.  Philly played it well overall but can’t seem to get where they want to go.

I would say the tanking in Minnesota worked out even worse than it did for Philly. They turned so many lottery picks into absolute garbage of a team and are left with a disgruntled Towns and Russell.

« Reply #473 on: March 02, 2020, 07:48:26 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

I can't imagine Brand staying that much longer with the 76ers. He really dropped the ball on giving Al Horford that contract. Also Harris 5/$180 million? What was he thinking?

How much has the 76ers been struggling? Their road record is 9-22... Which is just awful. They currently in the 27th percentile.. Only the Bulls, Cavs, Pistons, and Knicks are set to be on pace to out-lose the 76ers, but they are all tanking/lottery teams.

What makes the 2019-20 Philadelphia 76ers unique is their combination of talent and road struggles. They are historically dominant in the Wells Fargo Center, boasting a 28-2 home record. Their current 93.3% win percentage would place them just outside the top ten home teams ever, sandwiched between the ’71 Bucks and the ’67 Sixers.

Has anyone ever heard of a contender that was the 5th seed in the East, and won the championship?

I know Simmons and Embiid have been injured, but even then I can't suspect them ending up as the 5th seed, but man... The outlook for that future doesn't look that great. Moves are certainly going to be made. The question is, who's out?
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #474 on: March 02, 2020, 08:23:29 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Houston was very famously a 6th seed in '95 and won it but there are a couple caveats. Jordan was on hiatus and the Rockets had the 2nd best player in the league in Hakeem.

« Reply #475 on: March 02, 2020, 08:29:01 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be
Houston was very famously a 6th seed in '95 and won it but there are a couple caveats. Jordan was on hiatus and the Rockets had the 2nd best player in the league in Hakeem.

That team also had won the title the year before so they had a clue about what it took to succeed.  And as far as I remember, that team wasn't a soap opera either.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #476 on: March 02, 2020, 08:40:47 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

If Jordan was on hiatus, who was the best player in the league if not Hakeem?

« Reply #477 on: March 02, 2020, 08:46:12 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be

He was on hiatus part of the season.  Came back in March of '95.

Admiral won the MVP but famously got outplayed by Hakeem in the WCF.

Btw, that HOU run was real impressive.  Beat UT with Malone & Stockton, PHX with Barkley, SA with Robinson then beat Penny & Shaq in the Finals.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #478 on: March 02, 2020, 08:51:54 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

He was on hiatus part of the season.  Came back in March of '95.

Admiral won the MVP but famously got outplayed by Hakeem in the WCF.

Btw, that HOU run was real impressive.  Beat UT with Malone & Stockton, PHX with Barkley, SA with Robinson then beat Penny & Shaq in the Finals.

So Hakeem WAS the best player in the league ;D

« Reply #479 on: March 02, 2020, 08:58:20 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593

That team also had won the title the year before so they had a clue about what it took to succeed.  And as far as I remember, that team wasn't a soap opera either.

Maybe a little bit of a soap opera (Maxwell abruptly quit the team).  The more I look back at that Houston run, the more impressive it its.

They had Hakeem, but apparently not a dominate Hakeem when compared to his peers (he was still great, but the league was top heavy with big man stars).  Ya he was MVP and DPOY the year before, but in '95 he was healthy and only 3rd team All-NBA, 5th in MVP voting (behind 3 other Centers), didn't even make All-D.

Vernon Maxwell, their 3rd leading scorer, averaging the 4th most minutes per game, quit the team one game into the playoffs (arrival of Drexler cut his minutes/role, turned him from starter to 6th man).

1st Round, playing a 60 win Jazz team (with 2 1st Team All-NBA players, and Malone finishing 3rd in MVP), go down 1-2 (best of 5).  Win the next 2 to advance.

2nd Round, playing a 59 win Suns team, go down 0-2 and 1-3.  Win 3 in a row (with 2 on the road) to advance.

Conference Finals, playing a 62 win Spurs team (with MVP David Robinson).  Steal the first 2 on the road, then go and lose the next 2 at home.  Momentum is gone right?  Win the next 2 to advance (including 21 point blow out in pivotal Game 5 on the road).

Finals, playing 57 win Magic, with MVP runner up Shaq and 1st Team All-NBA Hardaway.  Sweep in 4.

They beat the 4 best teams in the NBA that year.  Usually a team gets lucky, and somebody else upsets a tough opponent making your path a little easier, or an opponent goes down with an injury, not the case here.

They went up against 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 6th MVP finishers.

I didn't appreciate it at the team, but looking back that run was incredible.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class