Author Topic: Could Horford end up being the worst contract of offseason?  (Read 91617 times)

Re: Could Horford end up being the worst contract of offseason?
« Reply #360 on: February 11, 2020, 01:08:09 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
How different would this season be if Horford re-signed with Boston and Philly decided to sign Kemba somehow?

this is assuming we also don't have irving right? We are probably the 7 seed and philly probably makes the finals and possibly wins.

Never know.  Dysfunction is dysfunction.  If Simmons & Embiid are the headcases, subbing out for Horford for Kemba probably isn't all of a sudden put them on a clear path to the Finals.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #361 on: February 11, 2020, 01:10:28 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Jackie Mac says "she's hearing" Horford may be dealing with some nagging Achilles injury  :o

He was also listed as questionable a few days ago because of it.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #362 on: February 11, 2020, 01:16:18 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Jackie Mac says "she's hearing" Horford may be dealing with some nagging Achilles injury  :o

Achilles tendonitis is extremely painful, takes a ton of work to losen up and get ready to do anything on it.

« Reply #363 on: February 11, 2020, 01:22:08 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
How different would this season be if Horford re-signed with Boston and Philly decided to sign Kemba somehow?

this is assuming we also don't have irving right? We are probably the 7 seed and philly probably makes the finals and possibly wins.

Never know.  Dysfunction is dysfunction.  If Simmons & Embiid are the headcases, subbing out for Horford for Kemba probably isn't all of a sudden put them on a clear path to the Finals.

I think the presumption is we would have both, which would have been possible had Al and Boston come to an agreement.

« Reply #364 on: February 11, 2020, 01:28:19 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

I think the presumption is we would have both, which would have been possible had Al and Boston come to an agreement.
This is true only if Kyrie/BKN both agree to a sign and trade similar to Durant/GSW.

« Reply #365 on: February 11, 2020, 04:56:46 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Achilles tendonitis is extremely painful, takes a ton of work to losen up and get ready to do anything on it.

If that’s the case, it makes no sense for Phili to not test him. We’re in the middle of the most meaningless part of the regular season. Considering his age and the money they invested in him, there is no way he should be playing right now and risking longer term injury.

I mean, they rest Embiid all the time for much less, and he’s a heck of a lot younger.

« Reply #366 on: February 11, 2020, 04:59:58 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

If that’s the case, it makes no sense for Phili to not test him. We’re in the middle of the most meaningless part of the regular season. Considering his age and the money they invested in him, there is no way he should be playing right now and risking longer term injury.

I mean, they rest Embiid all the time for much less, and he’s a heck of a lot younger.
Agreed.

Though with older NBA players you always hear about all the things they do to keep playing day after day. KG/Nash for example in their later days spent hours and hours to get ready to go physically.

With the team struggling I wouldn't be shocked if Horford was just saying, I'm good I've played through this for years and taking extra time to warm it up and treat it after the game.

« Reply #367 on: February 11, 2020, 05:44:48 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

I don't think it changes too much for either team.

If Horford stays, Rozier probably stays too since Ainge has limited options elsewhere. I like that group. I like Rozier and I like how he played with the other guys here as a starter. I don't think they would be quite as good as this current team but I do believe they would be close and a very good team indeed. Ahead of Toronto, Miami and Indiana. Competing with Milwaukee and Philly (maybe maybe not) for best in the East.

If Kemba went to Philly, I think the fit there would be really bad just like it was with Jimmy Butler. It has nothing to do with Kemba (or Butler). It is about Ben Simmons and how limited he is in playing with other perimeter based players because of Simmons' inability to play off the ball / make jump-shots / space the floor. Philly might win a couple more regular season games than with Horford (due to Kemba's superior & needed offensive firepower) but honestly I'd fear them less in a playoff series.

I'd place Boston and Milwaukee as class of the East and Philly closer to the Toronto, Indiana, Miami teams.

I like Philly's team more with Horford on it even with all the bumps on the road they will suffer through during the regular season. I like the matchup issues they can create in a 7 game series and the strength of their team defense & rebounding with that huge lineup. I think that is a very difficult team to play against largely because it is such an unusual mix of players to see in today's NBA.

I like Boston's team more with Kemba on it. I like that added offensive firepower he brings to the team and this group has proved they can still play strong defense without Horford which was my main concern heading into the year.

Both teams better off with how things worked out in my opinion.

« Reply #368 on: February 11, 2020, 05:49:51 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Maybe I am not giving that Philly team with Kemba enough credit.

G: Kemba
G: Josh Richardson
F: Tobias Harris
F: Ben Simmons
C: Embiid

Is that enough shooting around the team to stop teams from cheating off Simmons and clogging things up for everyone else? Making it difficult for Embiid to post? For Kemba to drive?

Am I overly worried / unjustly worried about the spacing?

Edit: Nice amount of quickness in the backcourt and with Simmons.

They would be fun to watch in the open court.

Edit: I'd like it a lot more if I were convinced Simmons would just play off the ball - translation: stay away from the ball as much as possible and let the better offensive players on the team take care of the offense.

Be more of a junkyard dog and don't get in other people's way by wanting to be a playmaker / PG. Just play defense, rebound and attack in the open court all of which he does phenomenally well.

Yeah, I could see them being a top team if Simmons did that. I don't believe he would - hand the team over to Kemba, Harris and Embiid and be a role player - though.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 06:07:09 PM by Who »

« Reply #369 on: February 11, 2020, 06:42:09 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527

« Reply #370 on: February 11, 2020, 06:44:31 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
https://twitter.com/TomerAzarly/status/1227375441800912899?s=20

Love me some Al, but he willingly chose this over us, even before he was legally allowed to by the rules.

Enjoy that money and that “better” chance of a championship, Al!  Nobody could’ve guessed that your fit there was questionable at best  ::)

« Reply #371 on: February 11, 2020, 06:46:39 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
https://twitter.com/TomerAzarly/status/1227375441800912899?s=20

Love me some Al, but he willingly chose this over us, even before he was legally allowed to by the rules.

Enjoy that money and that “better” chance of a championship, Al!  Nobody could’ve guessed that your fit there was questionable at best  ::)
Yeah, feel absolutely no pity for him on this. What a tragic way to end his career
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #372 on: February 11, 2020, 06:49:39 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Big Al was the worst contract as far as fit goes. Also, a huge overpay with a declining player.

Is he the Jacoby Ellsbury Yankees signing for the Sixers? Time will tell.

« Reply #373 on: February 11, 2020, 07:25:41 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 740
coming off the bench tonight

« Reply #374 on: February 11, 2020, 07:44:45 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
he is being punished by the basketball Gods for being a dink to the Celtics...

wouldn't surprise me if he is with another team next season