Author Topic: The interesting tale of PJ3  (Read 3177 times)

Re: The interesting tale of PJ3
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2015, 09:32:05 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Perry has been compared to Magic Johnson.

"'Take the point, Perry,”'Drew said during an intrasquad scrimmage. The scouts looked as if they were going to pop right out of their folding chairs. A near-seven-footer playing point guard? But Jones has the ballhandling skills and court vision to do it, along with the size and explosiveness to play inside and overwhelm most college big men. At certain moments, he looks like a young Magic Johnson, only a little bigger and a lot faster.

Baylor has a drill that requires players to dribble a basketball in each hand from one end of the court to the other and back. They’re supposed to do it in 22 seconds or less — Jones does so in 16 seconds, faster than any of the team’s guards."

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/13/magazine/mag-13Player-t.html

Wouldn't it be something if Stevens did the same thing with Perry that he did with Evan?

Except now, try to wrap your mind around the fact that PJ3 is 6'11" and can jump out of the gym.

Fascinating.

the recent post" interesting tale of perry jones 111"
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2015, 09:40:08 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
was an example of open-mindness,collection and sharing of articles and support for a special story of an exceptional athlete, a  boy of honor
-perry 111 faces a tough challenge to get a shot on the roster and most players that get waived twice do not make it in nba-please read the article on perry at baylor-homelessness and a mother that needed a new heart and perry's loyalty to school and friends when he could have come out and taken the millions as a lottery pick-smart,rozier and perry al have stories of advesity and loyalty-brad and ainge certainly draft for character-

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2015, 10:42:39 AM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
Athletic ability is something we are still lacking.    But I am, not sure he would be tough enough to beat out Crowder for minutes.   ET is expendable to a large degree and ball dependent.

Strangely, I really think the key to the C's season might rest with young Mr. Rozier. If he can get the hang of being an NBA combo/PG enough to pair with Smart as a combo/SG before the trading deadline, I think ET goes in a trade. PJ3, Young and/or Jerebko could all help to fill in behind Crowder. But I think they've got to nail down another reliable point solution besides IT before they let ET go.

This exactly.. TP

So the assumption is that Smart's not a PG?

I think that's always been the assumption. Smart is a combo guard, which isn't a bad thing. As a rookie, his ball-handling and passing skills weren't developed enough to be a full time playmaker, and his off ball skills (I.e Shooting) needed development also. His shot came along nicely last season, and as we saw in summer league Smart is really working on his PG skills.

Personally, I think we have enough ball-handlers with an improved Smart, Rozier, IT and Hunter (PJ3 can also initiate offense) that I'd be willing to dump ET before after camp, only because I think he either has to start or can hardly play because him and IT don't fit well together off the bench. There's nothing wrong with Smart needing to play with another ball-handler sometimes, but Turner needs the ball in his hands all the time to be effective. Eventually, that will stunt Smart's growth. Having a secondary ball-handler who is effective without the ball would be better, IMO. Smart doesn't need to be a pure PG to reach his potential.

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2015, 11:35:07 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
Athletic ability is something we are still lacking.    But I am, not sure he would be tough enough to beat out Crowder for minutes.   ET is expendable to a large degree and ball dependent.

Strangely, I really think the key to the C's season might rest with young Mr. Rozier. If he can get the hang of being an NBA combo/PG enough to pair with Smart as a combo/SG before the trading deadline, I think ET goes in a trade. PJ3, Young and/or Jerebko could all help to fill in behind Crowder. But I think they've got to nail down another reliable point solution besides IT before they let ET go.

This exactly.. TP

So the assumption is that Smart's not a PG?

I think that's always been the assumption. Smart is a combo guard, which isn't a bad thing. As a rookie, his ball-handling and passing skills weren't developed enough to be a full time playmaker, and his off ball skills (I.e Shooting) needed development also. His shot came along nicely last season, and as we saw in summer league Smart is really working on his PG skills.

Personally, I think we have enough ball-handlers with an improved Smart, Rozier, IT and Hunter (PJ3 can also initiate offense) that I'd be willing to dump ET before after camp, only because I think he either has to start or can hardly play because him and IT don't fit well together off the bench. There's nothing wrong with Smart needing to play with another ball-handler sometimes, but Turner needs the ball in his hands all the time to be effective. Eventually, that will stunt Smart's growth. Having a secondary ball-handler who is effective without the ball would be better, IMO. Smart doesn't need to be a pure PG to reach his potential.
good points and a tp for making them. plus, CBS thinks in terms of ball handlers, not pg. so a combo guard who can handle the ball fits his schemes just fine. no need to worry about whether a player is a pg, combo, sg under CBS.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva