Author Topic: The Jae Crowder Fan Club  (Read 29399 times)

Re: The Jae Crowder Fan Club
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2015, 12:32:58 AM »

Offline inverselock

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 44
if we can flip him for a 1st, it will make the rondo trade that much sweeter.
Amen.  Aaaammmeeenn. We could really use a first rounder right now
Really though, giving money to a role player like crowder potentially cuts into our cap space this summer. We actually need to try and free up more cap space by this summer (dumping Bradley, for instance) so we can keep our opens wide open with max contracts. 

As slim as the the possibility is, I think having space to sign two max deals is a higher priority than giving crowder money. If he was locked up next year at his current contract id keep him... But do you really want to risk having a team give him 5-7 mil and having to either match or watch him leave?  Not worth it.  Trade him now for a pick

What are the chances of us signing two guys who can put us back into contender status to max deals this off-season? 

This seems crazy far-fetched to me.

Can't think of one.  The good ones aren't leaving their clubs.

« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2015, 12:36:06 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Jae, how does 4 years 20M sound?  Please...

I'd do it tomorrow.
sounds horrifying. I've heard of worse, but it's pretty scary.

This is exactly what I'm talking about.  In a bubble, I'd say giving crowder 4 years 20 mil is reasonable.  A healthy 5 mil a year for a role player. But currently we have about 30 mil in cap space.  Trading bradley for an expiring would probably give us enough cap space to theoretically sign two max deals.  But as is, we prob have enough cap space to sign two great players ( replacements for green and rondo) to healthy 15 mil per year contracts.   To me, that's a high priority.  I have to assume that's a major priority for Ainge as well.  Im sure he'd LOVE to have 40 mil in cap space so he could sell a couple guys on the idea of teaming up with twin Max deals.  But for now, we have enough to land 2 or 3 starter caliber players.

So say you give crowder your hypothetical 5 mil.  K, you just blew it.  Now you have 25 mil in cap space.  Say you give crowder a qualifying offer and some crazy spiteful team offers him 8 mil knowing we will either need to let him walk or overpay him by matching.  Congrats, you just potentially ruined our summer.  We now have about 23 mil left.  Now you no longer have the ability to spend money on two very good players. 

Much better to cash in on him with a future pick and maximize our flexibility this summer. Jae Crowder probably isn't game changing talent.  He's a complimentary piece you add after you have established a core of elite talent. 

Crowder is doing wonders for his trade value though. He was someone Ainge initially brought in because of his perceived "flipability" (just like Wright).   I started a thread a couple days ago about his crowders solid play makes this a slightly tough decision... But I think it's best to stay the course.  Crowder isn't our future starting SF.   Cash in while he's performing.

« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2015, 12:40:20 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Really though, giving money to a role player like crowder potentially cuts into our cap space this summer. We actually need to try and free up more cap space by this summer (dumping Bradley, for instance) so we can keep our opens wide open with max contracts. 

As slim as the the possibility is, I think having space to sign two max deals is a higher priority than giving crowder money. If he was locked up next year at his current contract id keep him... But do you really want to risk having a team give him 5-7 mil and having to either match or watch him leave?  Not worth it.  Trade him now for a pick

What are the chances of us signing two guys who can put us back into contender status to max deals this off-season? 

Check my "better players to waste money on" thread. There's several free agents available this summer who are on the "above average" Rondo/Green tier. 

Crowder is a role player.  No need to pay him.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 12:50:01 AM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2015, 12:42:20 AM »

Offline P stoff

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 31
Question:  How does a player ever get beyond the "he's only a bench player" lablel? A guy who hasnt gotten minutes behind Parsons and Ellis (imagine that) is labeled a bench guy without so much as a chance to show differently. Then, even when he scores double digits most games, plus a huge night like tonight,  we are worried about giving him 5 million?

Thats a decision you WAIT to make. Nobody thought Chauncy or Gerald or Carroll etc would amount to much, but how bout we let the boxscore SHOW us what we have before making proclamations of what we THINK he is.

i heard somebody mention on another thread that Crowdr i doing this because hes on a rebuilding team. Oh, then the NBA players he's playing AGAINST dont matter?  Plainly put, to type-cast Crowder into a role based on the few games he gets 25 + minutes is like evaluating a plane trip experience five minutes after takeoff. 

« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2015, 12:52:01 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Check my "better players to waste money on" thread. There's several free agents available this summer who are on the "above average" Rondo/Green tier. 

So, basically, you'd rather spend the money on some other "above average" players just because they aren't Rajon Rondo or Jeff Green?
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2015, 01:11:25 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

So, basically, you'd rather spend the money on some other "above average" players just because they aren't Rajon Rondo or Jeff Green?
No. That's not what I'm saying.  I'm saying that I see the logic in moving those guys.  Two fringe stars and draft picks is better than two fringe stars without draft picks.  If you want to blow money on Green/rondo type talent, you can still do it. But now we also have draft picks.  Win/win.

Crowder cuts into our flexibility. Don't get too attached to him until after the deadline.

« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2015, 01:13:15 AM »

Offline Rhyso

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 37

Why are you trying to ruin the fan club thread? Maybe start another one called "Trade Jae Crowder for a 2024 2nd rounder" instead  ;)

If you are really on board with trading him to get more late picks (which is crazy), then there is more to gain by developing him for the future into a better player. Also doubtful Danny drastically overpays for one way players like Dragic or Asik, so I'm not holding my breath that we bring in two max guys.

« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2015, 01:17:26 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Sorry, I have been watching pro basketball for 40 years, and Crowder is a keeper.

We let Tony Allen go and regretted it, and this guy is better than Tony Allen.

« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2015, 01:28:36 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Jae, how does 4 years 20M sound?  Please...

I'd do it tomorrow.
sounds horrifying. I've heard of worse, but it's pretty scary.

This is exactly what I'm talking about.  In a bubble, I'd say giving crowder 4 years 20 mil is reasonable.  A healthy 5 mil a year for a role player. But currently we have about 30 mil in cap space.  Trading bradley for an expiring would probably give us enough cap space to theoretically sign two max deals.  But as is, we prob have enough cap space to sign two great players ( replacements for green and rondo) to healthy 15 mil per year contracts.   To me, that's a high priority.  I have to assume that's a major priority for Ainge as well.  Im sure he'd LOVE to have 40 mil in cap space so he could sell a couple guys on the idea of teaming up with twin Max deals.  But for now, we have enough to land 2 or 3 starter caliber players.

Who?

Big fan of Crowder. Always have been. Silly to think championship teams don't have guys like him... I can't think of one in past years. Every one needs a glue guy, an energy guy, who can play beyond his capacity when it's vital.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 01:34:57 AM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2015, 01:33:38 AM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134

You're off your rocker.

He's not being traded for a pick, & he's not going to impede your cap. Get over it.

He is however, going to make Ainge look like the winner in the Rondo trade by himself. He's darn good & shows more heart on the floor than any other player we've traded this year.

« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2015, 01:34:52 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
I like the way crowder plays. It will be interesting to see what happens. We will not need to wait long to see if we intend on keeping him.

« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2015, 01:38:18 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I am wary of exaggerating Crowder's prowess. He is a quality player, but I think we are reading too much into too few games when it comes to how good he is. Countless players have had impressive runs.

I like the guy, but I'm not ready to declare him as good as TA.

« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2015, 01:50:01 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Crowder cuts into our flexibility. Don't get too attached to him until after the deadline.
We aren't chasing flexibility. We are chasing assets that will have long term value to us. Unfortunately, Crowder was a second round pick, so I assume that he will be an unrestricted free agent.

Crowder, for all the 3s he's attempted here, is only shooting 30% on the year from 3. In fact, his career 32% from 3 is less than Smart's 35%, and people say Smart can't shoot. On the bright side, his overall stats suggest he won't have lucrative offers in the off season.

We aren't going to do an all-in panic free agency binge summer because Ainge isn't a fool and doesn't want to throw money at Travis Outlaw, Anthony Morrow, and Jordan Farmar (like that sad year the Nets had cap space but no players interested).

« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2015, 01:51:25 AM »

Online kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2487
crowder reminds me a lot of bobcat-era gerald wallace, and that's a good thing. if his shooting continues to improve just a bit he could be a very nice help to a good team.

crowder's per-36 stats over the last 6 games:
.538 FG%, .333 3pt%, career .713 FT%
17.6 pts, 6.6 reb, 2.8 ast, 2.8 stl, 1.5 blk, .5 TO, 2.8 fouls

compare that to wallace's career per-36 stats:
.469 FG%, .312 3pt%, .710 FT%
14.5 pts, 7 reb, 2.5 ast, 1.7 stl, 1 blk, 2.2 TO, 2.7 foul

now i'm not saying crowder will necessarily keep up this performance, as this is a small sample size, but he certainly has plenty of talent and heart, so it's not out of the question that he could have a similar career to wallace.

« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2015, 03:20:25 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
I should mention that I missed tonight's game, because league pass blacks out NBA TV games.  So perhaps if I saw him tonight, I'd be more prisoner of the moment. But as is, I see all the players we received in the Dallas trade as flipable assets that Danny will utilize for picks.