Author Topic: Don't you think Bill Walker and JR Giddens can really improve our team?  (Read 10188 times)

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
What if we would have drafted Chalmers instead of JR Giddens?

then chalmers would be a bench player, and we'd be having the same discussion.

I wanted chalmers on draft night, and wish we had taken him, but he wouldn't have gotten much more run than walker here year one, at best.

He had the perfect situation on the heat, he had to beat out chris quinn to start.

Here he would have had to compete with house for the 10-12 or so minutes a night backing up rondo, and i don't like his chances vs. house with doc's history of holding young players out.

Exactly, he'd be riding the pine under Doc.  He'd probably be stuck behind Pruitt too since, in Doc's mind Pruitt's got more 'experience'.

Doc played Gomes as a rookie. BBD got some run. So did Rondo and Powe as rookies. Yeah obviously Chalmers wouldn't have started on the C's, but to assume he'd get as much run as Giddens is faulty. I think he would have been the backup point guard by season's end and maybe we use the money we used on Mikki and Marbury on Joe Smith only (Marbury wouldn't be as needed).
Gomes was riding the pine behind Justin Reed of all people.  Rondo was behind Telfair.  Powe was behind Gomes.

It wasn't until those other players were traded and injuries to the starters that the players you mentioned got any real playing time.  BBD got time because Doc didn't have a backup center behind Perk.  To further the point, once PJ signed, BBD was back on the bench.

Chalmers would have been sitting last year under Doc.  No doubt about it.  House would have gotten all the backup minutes with maybe some going to Pruitt.  Chalmers would have seen zip.   Probably would have been in D-league putting up good numbers, like Walker and Giddens, and people here would have been saying "yeah, great numbers but D-league means nothing" just like Walker and Giddens.

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
I don't know how much Walker or Giddens could have helped or developed through playing last year--or how much they can this year, but I am certain that Doc not playing them and their performance in 2 or 3 minutes of garbage time here or there are poor measures of their capabilities.

They've got to come on strong in summer league, which I'm confident they are both capable of doing, then really know the systems coming into training camp.  Even after that, they'll both be lucky if they don't have to wait for someone else's injury for the opportunity to worm their way into the early-season rotation.

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
I've stated before, that I like Giddens.  People were saying very similar things about Rondo when Danny traded up to get him, and now he's on the verge.  As far as Giddens being in college for 5 years, it's because he transferred and had to sit a year.  Look as his stats in college, pretty darn good.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

Offline AlCelticfan

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 3
I honestly wondered why Giddens didn't get more of the minutes last year.  From what i saw of Giddens he has some potential.  Just as mush or moreso than Walker.  I guess we'll have to see?

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
As much a I'm frustrated by Docs mistrust of youngsters, there is merit to giving someone like Gabe a chance to prove himself as a leader. He has been here awhile. This will be his summer league team. He will have to see if He, JR and Bill can get it done. They will have something to prove - not just as individuals; but as a unit. This summer will be very telling as long as everyone stays healthy.

Offline paintitgreen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 154
Something that worries me about Giddens, though, is that he was a terrible free throw shooter in college. That doesn't really bode well for being a great shooter in the pros.
Go Celtics.

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Walker, yes
Giddens, no

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
As much a I'm frustrated by Docs mistrust of youngsters, there is merit to giving someone like Gabe a chance to prove himself as a leader. He has been here awhile. This will be his summer league team. He will have to see if He, JR and Bill can get it done. They will have something to prove - not just as individuals; but as a unit. This summer will be very telling as long as everyone stays healthy.

Having two years of experience under his belt, Gabe SHOULD be one of the better players in the Summer League.  If he doesn't, if he just kind of blends in, that's a huge red flag; he doesn't need to be MVP, but he needs to be one of the best players on the court whenever he's out there.  If he can't be The Man in summer league, he's not going to make it out of camp.