Author Topic: KG: Most skilled big man  (Read 1298 times)

KG: Most skilled big man
« on: January 03, 2009, 03:10:32 PM »

Offline sinbad

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 56
I think KG is the most skilled big man in the game today and he is actually in his prime right now. I know this sounds crazy considering he won the MVP 5 yrs ago but hear me out.

Here's my scouting report:
Physical tools-listed at 6-11? We all know he's around 7-1 and listed at 253 lbs. He may be the tallest PF in the game. Pierce claims that only Yao is taller then him (I'd throw Ilgauskus in as well). He is still thin and sleek but he holds his position in the post and competes on every play in every game. He is also among the quickest PFs in the game and runs the floor better than anyone at his position. He has tremendous stamina considering how hard he plays. Great size, speed, stamina, and strength. Add it up and he is still arguably the most athletically gifted PF in the game today. Gasol and Dirk are similar in size but nowhere near as strong or as quick. Amare is as quick and just as strong and powerful, but he's significantly shorter at 6-10, Bosh is as quick and has great stamina but is not as strong and also shorter at 6-10. Duncan while heavier and stronger and is the only guy who may have a size advantage over KG, is not as quick and doesn't play as fast.

Offense-Owns a deadly 15-18 foot jumper. One of the best mid rage shooters at his position. Can and will take his man off the dribble for a pull up jumper or finish strong at the rim. Fantastic at finishing lob passes. Has the complete post game although doesn't show enough of it. Drop step, fade away, Dream shake, baby hooks, you name it he's got it. McHale taught him well. One of the greatest passing big men of all time. Runs the floor as well as anyone and is a great finisher for a big man. Also very good foul shooter. Deficiencies? as far as offensive skills go, I maybe nitpicking, but he doesn't have three point range and doesn't get to the line as much as he could. A big reason why he doesn't get to the line can be attributed to the fact that he is such a good jump shooter and he takes only 13 shots a game due of the wealth of other offensive options on the team.

Defense-Need I say anything here? Best help defender in the game, one of the best man defenders, and overall the perfect team defender. You will see him covering for everyone, best pick and roll defender in the NBA hands down. Takes pride in his defense like no other. We've all seen him step up and challenge Kobe one on one, We've even seen him take on the challenge of guarding point guards. Keep in mind this is a 7-0+ 253 PF guarding PGs! In the post he is strong and plays that way. Never backs down and fights for position. Gets down low and uses his leverage to compensate for lack of bulk. Believes that post defense is for real men. He almost never takes a charge but would rather block the shot or foul trying. Great length makes him a quality shot blocker. Plays the passing lanes well and gets his share of steals. Always has his hands up. Intelligent defender and is the Peyton Manning or Ray Lewis of the defense.

Intangibles-Again need I say more. The best leader in the game.  Holds everyone accountable including himself. If he stinks, he'll be the first to say it (remember game 5 of the Finals). Is the first to get in a teammates ear but also the first one to congratulate a bench player. Plays with both intensity and focus, something thats not the easiest thing to do. We've all heard how Nash gets credit for getting the best out of Marion, Stoudemire, Richardson, Joe Johnson, and Barbosa offensively. What goes unnoticed is that Pierce, Allen, Rondo, and Perk had career years defensively. I know Tibs has a lot to do with it, but KG is the quarterback of the defense. KG gets more out of his teammates then anyone because he involves them in the offense and the defense. Has been an MVP, Defensive Player of the Year, Olympian gold medalist, All-Star MVP, been through 3 game 7s, been on both the very best teams as well as very bad ones, and now has a championship to show for it. Experience plays a big part in leadership and intangibles. He's been through it all and can lead by these experiences. Don't think for a second that Powe, BBD, and POB can't learn from him.

At the present, KG has hit what I call the pinnacle of his career. The time in one's career where his physical ability has crossed and meshed with his mental prime. You are not as good as you'll ever be at 23 when you're physically in the best shape of your life because you haven't learned everything that you need to learn or will learn from experience. You'll also never be in the prime of your career when your 37, when you have gotten to the point where you know just about as much as you will ever know about the game as a player. Just ask MJ when he was in Washington. But when one is at the tail end of his physical prime and the beginning of his mental prime, he becomes the best that he will ever be. The beginning of one's mental prime is when it all comes together and the light goes on and it comes to them, "this is how to do it, this is what it takes to win a championship" It takes sacrifice, effort, focus, and leadership to get to the top. KG (along with Pierce and Ray) is there...enjoy it.

My apologies for such a long post