Author Topic: a few thoughts about the Wizards game  (Read 3867 times)

a few thoughts about the Wizards game
« on: January 02, 2009, 11:19:46 PM »

Offline FatjohnReturns

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 120
   Pierce is a pure scorer

Re: a few thoughts about the Wizards game
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 11:24:52 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
   Pierce is a pure scorer

Don't you need to either add some thoughts or change the thread title?

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 11:33:25 PM »

Offline Scalablob990

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 83
  • The REAL Pau Gasol
   Pierce is a pure scorer

Don't you need to either add some thoughts or change the thread title?

One of his better games, I agree.
True Celtic = Leon Powe

Bring back the show!!!!

a few thoughts about the wizards game
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 11:38:39 PM »

Offline FatjohnReturns

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 120
 Pierce is a pure scorer.
 The Scalabrine, Pruit and Obryant triangle offense in the 4th quater made me laugh.
 Nice effort by Pruitt on the dunk attempt.
 Obryant and Scal in the frontcourt is pure domination hahah
 Marbury would be a good fit. His career averages 19.7 ppg and 7.8 assists.
 I tend to think Marbury feels bad about how things ended in Minnessota and would like
 to mend things with KG.
 Lastly a mentally healthy Marbury puts us over the top vs Cleveland and LA. He can    score in a almost arenas like way if given the ball. Eight dime career average suggests he knows how to pass.

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 11:50:02 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
1. Wiz defense was awful. I'd like to give Pierce kudos, his stat line is awesome, but let's be honest.
2. Rondo was Rondo.
3. Perk has taken a step back offensively. I have noticed this the last few games, including tonight's. He seems to have trouble getting a handle on the ball. Wonder if the shoulder strain is on his mind.
4. Gabe was invisible tonight in the 4th quarter. Disappointing.
5. POB started off strong, Tommy seems to recognize the special skills of this 7 footer.
6.  Man, the Wiz D was just awful.

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 01:01:37 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
the wizards couldn't beat a good college team...honestly, this game proves nothing.  that organization ought to be blown up for being so inept.
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

Re: a few thoughts about the wizards game
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 01:05:25 AM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"
Pierce is a pure scorer.
 The Scalabrine, Pruit and Obryant triangle offense in the 4th quater made me laugh.
 Nice effort by Pruitt on the dunk attempt.
 Obryant and Scal in the frontcourt is pure domination hahah
 Marbury would be a good fit. His career averages 19.7 ppg and 7.8 assists.
 I tend to think Marbury feels bad about how things ended in Minnessota and would like
 to mend things with KG.
 Lastly a mentally healthy Marbury puts us over the top vs Cleveland and LA. He can    score in a almost arenas like way if given the ball. Eight dime career average suggests he knows how to pass.
Now that I know what Starbury's career averages are, I too think he would be a good fit.  ::)

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

Re: a few thoughts about the wizards game
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 02:10:51 AM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
Now that I know what Starbury's career averages are, I too think he would be a good fit.  ::)

We know you'd rather have Toine back... :P
God bless and good night!

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 09:22:07 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
My few thoughts on last night's game:

- Tony Allen continues to show why people call him, how to say this and be polite.....gray matterly challenged. After a steal and an obvious three on one break he looks left to see Rondo streaking with him. Instead of giving the PG the ball on the break on a weave putting the best ball handler with the ball with men on either side. Instead he kept the ball, put the put his head down, dribbled strainght to the hoop and then realized the guy back stuck to the ball and it was getting close to time for making a decision. So his decision was to pass to Rondo in a position that gave the defender time to defend Rondo and Rondo had to try to find a way to dump the ball to Scal and the fast break opportunity that should have ended in two Celtics points was stopped and then Butler hits a half court heave. Nice.

- Rondo's first quarter assists per minute ratio is starting to get ridiculous. Last night he had 7 assists before the end of the first quarter and these types of numbers are getting to be quite common. He continues to get the guys the ball with open shots available. He'd probably be averaging as much as 2 more assists per game if people hadn't squandered some of his assists with missed layups and missed wide open looks.

- The pace in the first quarter was awesome and came to a sudden stop when it seemed there was a million ticky tack fouls called in the first 4 minutes of the second quarter. It became very difficult to watch the game during those first few minutes of that 2nd quarter.

- The Washington Wizards are beyond bad. They and Sacramento are two of the worst excuses for NBA teams since that 15 win Celtics team.

- The Celtics defense didn't exactly look great in the first quarter even though they ran out to a big lead. The Wizards missed tons of layups and wide, wide, wide open looks while grabbing a bunch of offensive rebounds. If this was a good team, the Celtics probably would have been losing after one.

- Everett High School could have looked good against the Wizards bench so I'm not about to say the Celtics bench is back. They played against obviously inferior competition.

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 09:45:05 AM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
1. wizards are terrible and quit in that game
2. If paul pierce has his 3-ball going...good luck
3. If rondo played 40 minutes a game he'd  average as many assists as chris paul and nearly a triple double
4. KG was quiet
5. if eddie house makes his 3's, the bench is instantly better
6. tough stretch coming up here where the cavaliers have an easy schedule and could easily take over 1st place especially when we meet them in cleveland next week where we can't seem to win
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2009, 01:10:34 PM »

Offline QuinielaBox

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 139
I have little to say about the Wizards game last night. I watched the nice comeback by New Jersey against Atlanta last night.

The Wizards are horrible this year. This is a good example of what happens to a team that fails to make off-season changes and loses its best player (Gilbert A).

Patrick O'Bryant looked good out there in his 4th qtr scrimmage stint.

Wins are few, times are hard. Here is your bleeping St Patricks Day Card.

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2009, 01:18:32 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I have little to say about the Wizards game last night. I watched the nice comeback by New Jersey against Atlanta last night.

The Wizards are horrible this year. This is a good example of what happens to a team that fails to make off-season changes and loses its best player (Gilbert A).

Patrick O'Bryant looked good out there in his 4th qtr scrimmage stint.

Gilbert played 13 games last year and the team won 43 games.  Yes, he's their best player, but I don't think enough attention is being given to the magnitude of losing Haywood for the season (possibly back in April).  The guy played well last year, and appeared to have turned the corner into being a legit starting center.
Yup

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2009, 02:00:59 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
1. Completely agree with the above statement about Haywood. The Wizards have no one to clog the middle and allows teams to just drive to the hoop consistantly. Haywood in the middle changes the entire game...Which brings me to my next point

2. Patty O Bryant needs to receive more play time. I dont care if the kid only gets 7 minutes a game with 6 fouls, he'd probably average 3 blocks and 5 rebounds...Having a guy of his size in the game will make teams think twice about driving on a 6 foot 6 leon powe or a 6 foot 6 big baby who can barely jump off the ground. O bryant has great length and incredible hops. I hope Doc realizes soon that he can be more beneficial to us on the court over big Baby.

3. The Wizards perimeter Defense is God awful. Mike James couldn't guard George Muershan on the wing.

4. Hopefully this get will put an end to Pierce's shooting woes as he was supurb tonight.

5. Eddie House needs to stop gunning. If he has a set shot, give him the green light. Anything else gotta stop it. This fade away three's and crap is not smart basketball. He isn't Ray Allen and shouldn't be taking as many shots per game as he has been. He needs to work on his shot selection.

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2009, 03:46:14 PM »

Offline stoyko

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 77
1. Gabe Pruitt did not impress last night even against the Wizard's bench.
NJ Nyets.
A.Iguodala,Nene,A. Brooks, H. Warrick, ,C.Delfino,MoWilliams,Nick Collison,Reggie Williams, T. Douglas, E. Barron,Q. Ross,James Anderson, Jeff Pendergraph

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2009, 04:04:45 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
1. Gabe Pruitt did not impress last night even against the Wizard's bench.

Agreed.  I haven't seen anything from him that makes me think he's going to be anything more than a serviceable player.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson