Author Topic: Remember 1986  (Read 2699 times)

Remember 1986
« on: January 02, 2009, 09:27:13 PM »

Offline joeb

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 13
Celts played Christmas Day in New York, up 25 at the half and then go out and lose it. Their was widespread panic in the media and fan base. That turned out to be the turning point of the season. They destroyed everyone after that.

Different team, different players, different era. Point is it's way too early to panic. Yes, they have work to do, maybe even some roster changes.

It makes for great talk, especially on CelticsBlob. But it's way early. This team is still dominant, has the best record in the league, and is a favorite to win it all.

GO CELTICS!

Re: Remember 1986
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 09:34:07 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
thought this was gonna be about...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsE0Th50SII

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 09:52:46 PM »

Offline EarthBall

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 110

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 10:01:00 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I was hoping it would be about this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqyc37aOqT0

Summer of 1986.  :)

Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 10:02:03 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 10:06:36 PM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
Losing the christmas game isnt what made me panic a little....it was the 2 other losses on the trip that were troubling...losing to an elite team on the road who is desperately looking for 'revenge' and still having a chance to win at the end isnt anything to be worried about....losing double digit leads to 2 crap teams was the concern
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 10:06:43 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 11:10:53 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Graduated high school...Came to the Cape to work for the Summer...Watched the C's dominate...Thought my Dad was joking when he said Lenny was dead...Thought that was a really stupid thing to joke about...Realized he was serious...
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 01:09:40 PM by Redz »
Yup

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 01:02:22 PM »

Offline QuinielaBox

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 139
Graduated high school...Came to the Cape to work for the Summer...Watched the C's dominate...Thought my Dad was joking when he said Lenny was dead...Thought that was a really stupid think to joke about...Realized he was serious...

Now we can deduce your age, Redz.

Yeah, I was on my honeymoon on the Cape when the news came down about Len Bias' death. Gosh, that was really bad.
Wins are few, times are hard. Here is your bleeping St Patricks Day Card.

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 01:09:12 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
Graduated high school...Came to the Cape to work for the Summer...Watched the C's dominate...Thought my Dad was joking when he said Lenny was dead...Thought that was a really stupid think to joke about...Realized he was serious...

Yeah, I was on my honeymoon on the Cape when the news came down about Len Bias' death. Gosh, that was really bad.

No secrets here!

I guess Istrayed form the intended topic a bit, but suffice it to say, 1986 was a very memorable year for me.

One other classic sports memory from `86 was driving down to TF Green Airport on a school night with a couple of friends to greet the Patriots as they returned triumphantly from Miami with their first AFC championship.
Yup

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2009, 01:16:01 PM »

Offline QuinielaBox

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 139

No secrets here!

I guess Istrayed form the intended topic a bit, but suffice it to say, 1986 was a very memorable year for me.

One other classic sports memory from `86 was driving down to TF Green Airport on a school with a couple of friends to greet the Patriots as they returned triumphantly from Miami with their first AFC championship.

I still have that VCR tape of that victory in the Orange Bowl. It was my favorite BB Patriots moment as we never had won in Miami before Jan. 18, 1986. The SB XX beatdown could never tarnish that moment. I think I will give you a Tommy just because. 
Wins are few, times are hard. Here is your bleeping St Patricks Day Card.

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2009, 01:20:45 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

No secrets here!

One other classic sports memory from `86 was driving down to TF Green Airport on a school with a couple of friends to greet the Patriots as they returned triumphantly from Miami with their first AFC championship.

I still have that VCR tape of that victory in the Orange Bowl. It was my favorite BB Patriots moment as we never had won in Miami before Jan. 18, 1986. The SB XX beatdown could never tarnish that moment. I think I will give you a Tommy just because. 

TP back at ya for being an older fart than me!

That Pats team was amazing.  They just kept forcing huge turnover after huge turnover.
Yup